The Phantoms...only way to go is up....

jammer2

Who makes the 2014-15 version of the Phantoms? Last years squad was beyond stinky. The only way to go is up....I have these forwards making the teams....for the purpose of this thread, I'm going to assume Akeson, Laughton and Raffl all make the Flyers, further depeating a team that is already struggling.

Forwards:

1)Nick Cousins...think he gets a much needed jumpstart by getting top line minutes and pp time.

2)Eric Wellwood....I hope and pray he makes a full recovery

3)Tye McGinn....if he does not make it this year, career AHL'er.

4)Tyler Leier, should see pp and pk time

5)Marcel Nobels....a make or break year, must have a strong camp to avoid being cut outright.

6)Flanagan....looked poised during a brief call up last year

7)Tyler Brown...decent skater, decent all round game

8)Michael Parks.....org likes this kid

9)Petr Straka....must be more consistent.

10)Brandon Alderson....Good work ethic

11)Derek Mathers....will never score, fights his way on to Flyers, the only way he makes it.

12)Tyrell Ghoulbourne.....ditto.

Defense: assuming Oliver makes the Flyers and MAB is hurt again...

1)Mark Alt

2)Robert Hagg....could he come over this quick?

3)Ghost...can't wait to see how he fits into the Phantoms line up.....loads of potential

4)Brandon Manning...took a step backwards

5)Matt Konan...big rearguard, tough as nails, needs mobility help

6)Reese Wilcox...nice prospect

7)Valeri Vasillev...is he coming over?

Goalies:

1) Cal Heeter....has an outside chance at winning the back up spot to Mason

2) Stolarz....will leave London and the OHL to pursue his NHL dream, should back up Cal at first.

Who did I miss, feel free to add.....

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to have this thread for info for upcoming season.

This is the projected starters for next season.

Mind you none of this is written in stone. Please guys any of you feel free to add to this or inform us of changes. 

Leier - Laughton - Straka

Goumas - Cousins - Alderson

Noebels - Flanagan -  Johnston

Goulbourne - Holmstrom (UFA) - Serratore

Mathers 

Alt - Hagg

Ghost - Manning

Lamarche - Konan

Stolarz/Heeter

pretty sure Vailiev just signed for 2 years in Russia so he's out.

Yes they have a little room to sign him after his two years in the KHL are up not sure he has an out clause in there i hadn't hear he had one.

Goumas and Serratore were signed to ATO contracts at the end and played pretty well i expect these two to be resigned to new deals just not sure what type of deal, just AHL contracts or 2 way deals i'm sure will come out later. If so i'll post it.

Also Micheal Parks is going back for his senior season.

@OccamsRazor  I would love to see Heeter get a shot at Mason's back up. He does turn 26 this year, so if he does not have a spectacular camp and stick, we could be looking at a career AHL'er. If it was Homer at the helm, he would sign a veteran goalie to back up Mason. It is a very, very important roster spot, so from that standpoint, it's one of the few times I would not take a cheaper kid over a vet. You can't make the playoffs without a respectable back up anymore, so it is crucial to find the right guy. Hopefully, they can bring in Heeter some competition at camp and have a legit open battle for the back up spot, instead of preordaining a veteran spot. If Heeter is the #1 for the Phantoms, Stolarz could learn a lot from him.

Who makes the 2014-15 version of the Phantoms? Last years squad was beyond stinky. The only way to go is up....I have these forwards making the teams....for the purpose of this thread, I'm going to assume Akeson, Laughton and Raffl all make the Flyers, further depeating a team that is already struggling.

Forwards:

1)Nick Cousins...think he gets a much needed jumpstart by getting top line minutes and pp time.

2)Eric Wellwood....I hope and pray he makes a full recovery

3)Tye McGinn....if he does not make it this year, career AHL'er.

4)Tyler Leier, should see pp and pk time

5)Marcel Nobels....a make or break year, must have a strong camp to avoid being cut outright.

6)Flanagan....looked poised during a brief call up last year

7)Tyler Brown...decent skater, decent all round game

8)Michael Parks.....org likes this kid

9)Petr Straka....must be more consistent.

10)Brandon Alderson....Good work ethic

11)Derek Mathers....will never score, fights his way on to Flyers, the only way he makes it.

12)Tyrell Ghoulbourne.....ditto.

Defense: assuming Oliver makes the Flyers and MAB is hurt again...

1)Mark Alt

2)Robert Hagg....could he come over this quick?

3)Ghost...can't wait to see how he fits into the Phantoms line up.....loads of potential

4)Brandon Manning...took a step backwards

5)Matt Konan...big rearguard, tough as nails, needs mobility help

6)Reese Wilcox...nice prospect

7)Valeri Vasillev...is he coming over?  Signed a KHL Deal

Goalies:

1) Cal Heeter....has an outside chance at winning the back up spot to Mason

2) Stolarz....will leave London and the OHL to pursue his NHL dream, should back up Cal at first.

D - Cullen Eddy  RFA

D - Tyler Hostetter  RFA

F Ben Holmstrom  UFA
F  Chris VandeVelde  UFA

the others above in red are RFA's also.  I don't see Hextall signing MAB.  and I don't think Oliver is the answer for the Flyers defense. They need speed.

D - Cullen Eddy RFA

D - Tyler Hostetter RFA

F Ben Holmstrom UFA

F Chris VandeVelde UFA

the others above in red are RFA's also. I don't see Hextall signing MAB. and I don't think Oliver is the answer for the Flyers defense. They need speed.

MAB is going to be cheap to qualify. Why not? He's got some experience and upside. I know his injury history is scary, but that also makes him attractive in salary terms. Plus, what if he actually can get healthy?

and I don't think Oliver is the answer for the Flyers defense. They need speed.

Lauridsen isn't the savior, but he's more mobile than Grossman. You don't really need a bunch of Bobby Orrs on defense, you just need guys who aren't statues and who don't handle the puck like it's a live grenade. Lauridsen would be an upgrade at least in the mobility department.

MAB is going to be cheap to qualify. Why not? He's got some experience and upside. I know his injury history is scary, but that also makes him attractive in salary terms. Plus, what if he actually can get healthy?

I'd let another team take a chance on him.  I'd rather not have his contract be one of the Flyers 50 especially if it will most likely be spent wasted on the LTIR.  

Lauridsen isn't the savior, but he's more mobile than Grossman. You don't really need a bunch of Bobby Orrs on defense, you just need guys who aren't statues and who don't handle the puck like it's a live grenade. Lauridsen would be an upgrade at least in the mobility department.

So then your plan would be to trade Grossman? or are you demoting him to the 7th d-man while giving the job to Lauridson who imo hasn't really earned a starting role.  I think last year was a mistake signing Gill who basically nulled the chances of any of the AHL d-men from playing with the Flyers.

I'd let another team take a chance on him.  I'd rather not have his contract be one of the Flyers 50 especially if it will most likely be spent wasted on the LTIR.  

Agree.  Add to that that I really don't think MAB was all that to begin with.

So then your plan would be to trade Grossman? or are you demoting him to the 7th d-man while giving the job to Lauridson who imo hasn't really earned a starting role.  I think last year was a mistake signing Gill who basically nulled the chances of any of the AHL d-men from playing with the Flyers.

I would trade Grossman. I don't hate him, I just think his lack of mobility and skill is too much of a liability.

I would trade Grossman. I don't hate him, I just think his lack of mobility and skill is too much of a liability.

OK.  I'm not against that plan, However he is/ was one of our best penalty killers, but you are right about his lack of speed.  We can't have both Grossman and L. Schenn again next season.   

OK.  I'm not against that plan, However he is/ was one of our best penalty killers, but you are right about his lack of speed.  We can't have both Grossman and L. Schenn again next season.   

I would really rather we didn't. And of the two I'd rather keep Schenn. Grossman is ok when the play more or less comes to him, but you have to believe (or at least hope) that a player with a bit more effective range would get to more loose pucks, and get more pucks out of the Flyers end more efficiently. That player, be it Alt or Lauridsen, might not be as good defending right around the crease as Grossman, but hopefully he would make up for that with more mobility and skill.

This little excerpt from Metzler's MAB column earlier in the week....it's not looking good for MAB's Flyer career....

"National Hockey League teams cannot assign injured players to the minor leagues, nor can the player be waived for purposes of such an assignment. Additionally, there is the issue of the 50 NHL contract limit on teams' reserve lists. The Flyers are also tight to the salary cap for next season, and the thought of another salary on the injured reserve list is not appealing.

For these reasons, Bourdon is not presently a good candidate to issue a qualifying offer and re-sign to a new NHL contract. However, there is another option available: signing Bourdon to an AHL-only contract."

Hopefully, he takes the AHL offer and continues the arduous process of yet another comeback attempt.

If he gets anything it will be a AHL only prove it contract like Chris Vandevelde did last year. But it is a long shot for him to make it back. Plus it will take developemnt time from maybe Ghost, Hagg and Alt maybe so it may be time just to move on.

This little excerpt from Metzler's MAB column earlier in the week

This today also a good read. 

At age 25, Kyle Flanagan is not looking like an NHL prospect at this point but still has the potential to be a solid AHL offensive player.

So maybe resigned to a AHL only deal?? More than likely.

Also a good read on Mark Alt.

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2014/05/flyers_prospects_mark_alt_definitely_a_prospect_after_passing_on_chance_to_play_qb_at_iowa.html

Also i think this trade or him could almost be labeled a steal more in the future: Traded with G Brian Boucher from Carolina for C Luke Pither on January 13, 2013. Pither isn't even in the NHL or AHL anymore. 

Terry Murray, Phantoms head coach: “Mark’s an excellent skater when it comes to speed, and that’s where the game is today. You’ve got to be able to bring that. His game this season, I think he really got an understanding of what it’s going to take in order for him to be a player at the NHL level. Halfway through the year he’d already played the number of games in a season that he played in college, so this was quite a test for him to bring it every day. I really like his approach to the game. He’s very professional. He brings an attitude every day that he has to do the right stuff to get prepared for the practice or game. He plays with high intensity and really cares about his game and his teammates. He’s a real good team guy. He pays attention to the detail part of the game, and as a defenseman that’s what you have to do. I liked his progress. I think he’s on track. He’s more comfortable now with the puck on this stick. In the second half of the year, he was carrying the puck out of problems and getting it out of his own end using his speed and his quickness. And I used him on the power play all season. That was something that he was not doing in college. He started to feel comfortable on the power play. He’s a right shot and he prefers the right side on the power play, but when he is on the other side for a one-timer, he can shoot the puck. He’s got a great shot. He’s an interesting player because of his size and speed. He’s definitely a prospect.”

Additionally, there is the issue of the 50 NHL contract limit on teams' reserve lists.

Supposedly they lose the rights to Fredric Larsson because he wasn't signed. I imagine it wasn't that big a deal. The Stache is gone....if it's true i read it here.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1682499

Not sure how reliable it is as a source.

Archived