The Phantoms...only way to go is up....

jammer2

I don't hate him, I just think his lack of mobility and skill is too much of a liability.

The complete opposite of Robert Hagg.

An opinion on the youth coming! No rush in due time.

2. Robert Hagg – 6’2”, 207 lbs. – 2013-14: MODO

Drafted in the second round (41st overall) in 2013 by the Philadelphia Flyers

After being one of the top Swedish prospects available in the 2013 NHL Draft, Hagg went about having a season that might have disappointed a number of fans or pundits, but which was exactly the kind of season that should have been expected of him.

A good-sized defenseman expected to bring a two-way game throughout his career, he earned a job with MODO of the SHL right from the start and took a fairly regular shift, collecting one goal, six points and 47 penalty minutes over the course of a 50-game season. He also suited up for the club’s U20 team when time allowed, putting up two goals, eight points and a +4 rating in 10 games. As much as the SHL season proved to be a learningicon1.pngexperience, often challenging Hagg to learn a lot about consistency on a game-in, game-out basis, he was able to continue to round out his defensive game and proved quite effective on the PK. Playing against men seemed to allow him to play a more solid, simple, heads-up game, something that didn’t allow the Flyers to hesitate bringing him over to the AHL right after his season in Sweden was over. With the Adirondack Phantoms of the AHL, he gathered a goal, four points and a +1 in 10 games in making a very impressive debut.

Not to be forgotten was Hagg's emotional WJC experience in Malmo, where Sweden missed out on a gold medal in an overtime loss to Finland. There he took a regular shift, contributing a goal and a +4 rating is assuming much of the heavy duty physical play for his country. This proved to be a confidence booster for him as the season proceeded into the second half. Hagg is expected to continue maturing in the AHL next season.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/109339/klingberg-hagg-tops-among-defensive-prospects-that-competed-in-sweden-in-2013-14/

Just good to see the Flyers on a list like that. So tired of always reading about other teams guys on the farm and then thinking when it gonna be the Flyers.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@OccamsRazor

Just read that article about Swedish defensive prospects on the HF boards. Nice to see Hagg rated 2nd overall even though he was just drafted last year.

Yes how nice is that to read about a Flyer prospect.....very nice...i could get use to that. I'll admit i was so tired of always reading about other teams prospects and just dreaming about what it was like to draft good players. I hope Hexy keeps this tradition up it's really how the foundation of a Cup winning team is laid.

Now they just have to hold onto him and let him develop. Thye've planted the seed now just keep watering it.

Who makes the 2014-15 version of the Phantoms? Last years squad was beyond stinky. The only way to go is up....I have these forwards making the teams....for the purpose of this thread, I'm going to assume Akeson, Laughton and Raffl all make the Flyers, further depeating a team that is already struggling.

Forwards:

1)Nick Cousins...think he gets a much needed jumpstart by getting top line minutes and pp time.

2)Eric Wellwood....I hope and pray he makes a full recovery

3)Tye McGinn....if he does not make it this year, career AHL'er.

4)Tyler Leier, should see pp and pk time

5)Marcel Nobels....a make or break year, must have a strong camp to avoid being cut outright.

6)Flanagan....looked poised during a brief call up last year

7)Tyler Brown...decent skater, decent all round game

8)Michael Parks.....org likes this kid

9)Petr Straka....must be more consistent.

10)Brandon Alderson....Good work ethic

11)Derek Mathers....will never score, fights his way on to Flyers, the only way he makes it.

12)Tyrell Ghoulbourne.....ditto.

Defense: assuming Oliver makes the Flyers and MAB is hurt again...

1)Mark Alt

2)Robert Hagg....could he come over this quick?

3)Ghost...can't wait to see how he fits into the Phantoms line up.....loads of potential

4)Brandon Manning...took a step backwards

5)Matt Konan...big rearguard, tough as nails, needs mobility help

6)Reese Wilcox...nice prospect

7)Valeri Vasillev...is he coming over?

Goalies:

1) Cal Heeter....has an outside chance at winning the back up spot to Mason

2) Stolarz....will leave London and the OHL to pursue his NHL dream, should back up Cal at first.

Who did I miss, feel free to add.....

I don't see last year's draft pick Morin anywhere

I don't see last year's draft pick Morin anywhere

You won't because he is going back to juniors this isn't a thread about all of the Flyers prospects this is just a projection of the Phantoms squad next year.

Morin should be sent back to juniors for one more year then he can join the Phantoms.

But on paper compared to last year this will be a stacked Phantoms team that will return them to the AHL playoffs for sure.

You really don't want them playing in the AHL when they can play in juniors.

The reason being even though Ghost and Hagg are in the AHL their ELC won't slide while they are learning it will burn a year on their contracts but they need the seasoning.

Even Stolarz, Laughton and Leier will burn a year on their entry level deals but it is for the good of their development.

Realistically Stolarz could be returned to juniors but i'm not sure how that will help his development.

But this thread was intended for prospect updates and what not. So no Morin...yet. It's either BIG club for him or juniors.

A good read on some of next years Phantoms and prospects and depth ranking top 10.

http://flyersprospects.blogspot.com/2014/06/pre-draft-flyers-top-10-prospects.html

1. Scott Laughton (C, Oshawa Generals, OHL) 
2012 1st round, 20th overall

The choice between Laughton and Gostisbehere was probably the toughest decision I made in this top 10. Both are absolutely blue-chip prospects, but I gave the slight edge to Laughton. Laughton tore up the OHL with Oshawa this season, potting 40 goals and adding 49 assists in 54 games. He also put up 11 points in 7 playoffs games. The only bad thing you can say about Scott Laughton’s season was his performance in the World Juniors. He was given the honor of captaining the Canadian team, which tells you a lot about how much respect his plays garners. Laughton, along with his team, severely underperformed. He only recorded one point in 7 games as Canada failed to medal. But besides the WJC’s, Laughton exceeded all expectations. He was voted as the OHL’s best center, as well as best faceoff man and penalty killer. Since he excels in these areas of the game, he will be seriously considered for the Flyers 3rd or 4th line next year.

2. Shayne Gostisbehere (D, Union College, NCAA) 
2012 3rd round, 78th overall 

Shayne Gostisbehere wowed the college hockey world with a spectacular season for Union. He finished with 9 goals and 25 assists, while leading the Dutchmen to their first ever National Title. Ghost was absolutely unreal in the Frozen Four in Philadelphia, giving Flyers fans a sneak peek at what is to come in the future. He did everything for Union. He was sound defensively, ran the powerplay, and even played a little goalie (VIDEO). He was regarded as one of the best defenseman in all of the NCAA and was one of three finalists for the Hobey Baker Award, college hockey’s equivalent to the Heisman. Gostisbehere was signed to an entry-level contract by the Flyers a few days after winning the championship. He played a couple games with the Phantoms at the end of the year and he may be in Allentown to start next season. After his marvelous display last year, he will definitely be given a fair shot to make the big club.

3. Anthony Stolarz (G, London Knights, OHL) 
2012 2nd round, 45th overall

Anthony Stolarz’s season was filled with many ups and downs. He was stellar in the regular season, finishing with the best save percentage in the Ontario Hockey League. He was also named to the United States World Junior team as the backup goalie. He only got one start, but made the most of it by recording a shutout against Germany. But after a great regular season, Stolarz and the Knights imploded in the playoffs. Stolarz only played in three games before being suspended for a vicious slash to head of Windsor forward Josh Ho-Sang (GIF). He was out for the rest of the playoffs and the Knights bowed out in the next series. But since the Knights were the Memorial Cup hosts, Stolarz would have another chance to win some hardware. The Knights played horribly and did not advance past the round robin stage. Stolarz’s play was subpar, but he was far from the Knights’ biggest problem. Though the season did not end on a high note, Stolarz showed a lot of promise during the regular season. He will likely be competing for time with the Phantoms next year, but there is a chance he could be back in London.

4. Samuel Morin (D, Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL) 
2013 1st round, 11th overall 

Morin, the Flyers most recent first round pick, may still be a few years away from the NHL, but is on the right path with his development. He was considered a very raw prospect when picked and drew comparisons (probably unfairly) to former Flyers D-man Chris Pronger. He has made strides since the draft, but still needs to work on a few areas of his game. His offensive upside was a concern before, but he showed a huge improvement last season. He tallied 7 goals and 24 assists for Rimiouski in 54 regular season games and added 8 more points in the playoffs. He did seem to lose his cool at some points throughout the year, taking unnecessary penalties out of frustration. Hopefully as he matures he learns to play smarter, while still playing with the edge that makes him a unique prospect. At 6 foot 6, Morin has the frame to be a punishing force in the NHL. The Flyers need to be patient with him, and allow him to develop in their pipeline. Morin will likely be back with Rimouski in the QMJHL next season.

5. Robert Hagg (D, Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) 
2013 2nd round, 41st overall 

The Flyers picked up Hagg, who was projected as a first round pick by some, in the 2nd round of last year’s draft. If Hagg can turn into a 2nd round steal, the Flyers would be elated, due to their recent inability to develop quality NHL defensemen. Hagg had a decent year in SHL, good enough to earn him a spot on Sweden’s World Junior Team for the 2nd straight year. After finishing his season with MODO, Hagg made his North American debut. He was very impressive with the Phantoms, showcasing his two-way play and skating ability. It is unclear if he will be returning to Sweden or playing in the AHL next year. If he chooses the latter, he will be a key piece for the Phantoms in their inaugural season in Lehigh Valley.

6. Jason Akeson (RW, Philadelphia Flyers, NHL) 
2011 Free agent signing 

After leading the Phantoms in scoring for the 3rd straight season, Jason Akeson was finally given a shot to play for the Flyers. Akeson was thrown right into the fire, playing only one NHL regular season game before being placed in the lineup for the playoffs. He was one of the Flyers top offensive forwards in the series against the Rangers. He showed creativity and poise with the puck, scoring 2 goals and assisting on one. You really have to wonder how Akeson was not giving a shot a earlier on a Flyers team that was so streaky offensively. His main knock was his defensive game, which has improved under Phantoms coach Terry Murray. He will need to continue to improve his two-way game, but Akeson looks like he will be an NHL regular next year.

7. Taylor Leier (LW, Portland Winterhawks, WHL) 
2012 4th round, 117th overall 

Taylor Leier had an outstanding season for the Portland Winterhawks in the WHL. After a hot start, Leier was selected to Team WHL for the Super Series against Russia. His strong play in those games helped him earn a spot on Team Canada’s World Junior team, something no one would have deemed possible at the beginning of the season. Leier finished the year with 72 points in 62 games. He also put up 21 points in the Winterhawks playoff run, where they lost in the WHL finals. Taylor Leier is a good two-way forward, who can chip in offensively. If he can establish himself as a defensively responsible forward in the pros, he may have a chance to play for the Flyers down the road. It looks like Leier will play in the AHL to start the season.

8. Mark Alt (D, Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) 
Acquired via trade from Carolina for Luke Pither 

Mark Alt is a dark horse candidate to crack the Flyers top six next season. Depending on offseason moves, there may be 1 or 2 spots to be won in training camp. The departure of Erik Gustafsson to the KHL only helps Alt’s chances. Alt was consistently one of the Phantoms best defenseman last year. He is sound defensively, has good speed and size, and can put up a decent amount of points, finishing with 26 last season. If there is a spot to be won in training camp, look for Alt to be in the mix of things.

9. Nick Cousins (C, Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) 
2011 3rd round, 68th overall 

Some may have been a little disappointed with Nick Cousins’ first season as a professional. He finished with 11 goals and 18 assists in 74 games, which are decent numbers. But they show he is still a long way from playing for the Flyers. He was one of the OHL’s leading scorers two years ago, which may have raised expectations a little bit too high. Cousins is a gritty forward who plays both ends of the ice. He was always known as a bit of a pest in juniors, which is obviously something the Flyers like. He will have to show he can put up big numbers at the next level and he will have a chance to do that next year with the Phantoms.

10. Tye McGinn (LW, Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) 
2010 4th round, 199th overall 

Tye McGinn was always the top of the call-up list for the Flyers when injury struck. He has been given numerous chances, and has shown flashes of quality play. But his recent stints with the Flyers have not gone as well At times he did look like a legitimate power forward, but at others he looked like nothing more than a good AHL player. He has shown the ability to get to the front of the net and cause traffic or score on a deflection or rebound. He needs to improve his play off the puck and get quicker. Because of this, the Flyers were always reluctant to use him on the 4th line. It may be too late for McGinn to improve some aspects of his game, and he may be a non-prospect soon if things do not change. However he will be given a chance to compete with teammate Jason Akeson for a spot on the Flyers roster. If he falls short, he will be a top line player for the Phantoms.

• 2 weeks later...

Who makes the 2014-15 version of the Phantoms? Last years squad was beyond stinky. The only way to go is up....I have these forwards making the teams....for the purpose of this thread, I'm going to assume Akeson, Laughton and Raffl all make the Flyers, further depeating a team that is already struggling.

Forwards:

1)Nick Cousins...think he gets a much needed jumpstart by getting top line minutes and pp time.

5)Marcel Nobels....a make or break year, must have a strong camp to avoid being cut outright.

11)Derek Mathers....will never score, fights his way on to Flyers, the only way he makes it.

1)Mark Alt

3)Ghost...can't wait to see how he fits into the Phantoms line up.....loads of potential

Goalies:

2) Stolarz....will leave London and the OHL to pursue his NHL dream, should back up Cal at first.

UPDATE:

Forwards:

2)Eric Wellwood....retired

3)Tye McGinn....traded for a 3rd in 2015

6)Flanagan....not resigned as of yet

7)Tyler Brown...not resigned as of yet

8)Michael Parks.....returned to college for senior year

12)Tyrell Ghoulbourne.....so far on a AHL deal so far will have to earn a two way deal.

13)Andrew Johnston....depth forward

14)Bellemare...could start on the BIG club

New Additions: Zach Stortini, Gordon, Blair Jones....rumor today is Vandevelde was resigned to a 1 year deal.

Former Captain Ben Holmstrom signed a 1 year two way deal with Canes today.

Defense: assuming Oliver makes the Flyers and MAB not resigned

1)Mark Alt

6)Reese Wilcox...nice prospect...Back to Cornell

7)Valeri Vasillev... Resigned for 2 more years in the KHL

8)Oliver Lauridsen...will get long look at camp for the BIG club.

Goalies:

1) Cal Heeter....not resigned is a UFA

2) Stolarz....will leave London and the OHL to pursue his NHL dream should be the starter

3) Robb Zep....will backup Stolarz. Has hit his ceiling.

4) Carson Chubak.....i imagine will be resigned to another AHL deal or let walk....i'd prefer him to backup Stolarz. Only 25.

..i think that covers it please feel free to add or correct.

@OccamsRazor  The Phantoms are slowly but surely taking shape. This years team should be a big improvement. Should be interesting to see how Stolarz reacts to pro competition. I know Heeter got released, but he still put up top 5 stats last year, that will be a big void to fill...we will see how Stolarz responds to the challenge.

Forwards:

1)Mark Alt

Goalies:

I dont think Lauridsen makes the flyers.  Alt if anyone.

I dont think Lauridsen makes the flyers.  Alt if anyone.

Well if he can't make it this year he'll never make it. He will be fine as a 7th Dman and is only half of Schultz's caphit. So maybe they have trade GrossmanN for a pick or a prospect just as a salary dump.

Ollie will be taking a spot on the Phantoms that a young kid needs.

Their blueline should look like this now.

Hagg/Alt

Ghost/Lamarche

Manning/Pitbull

Konan

so let the young kids play Ollie will 26 this year with 2 years of college and 2 years of AHL time under his belt it is make or break time for him.

If he can't beat out Schultz he has bigger issues to deal with and he just may never be in the NHL.

If he can't beat out Schultz he has bigger issues to deal with and he just may never be in the NHL.

From everything I've read/seen about him recently, I think the Org is leaning towards this conclusion.  But who knows.

From everything I've read/seen about him recently, I think the Org is leaning towards this conclusion.  But who knows.

And i agree it ain't like he is a wet behind the ears kids....sometimes it is time to stop coddling the kids and force them to grow up.

It's sink or swim when i was 19 i was off the coast of Iraq and driving amphibious landing crafts onto beaches full of marines and seals during stressful combat situations...so if they are mentally weak they are just mentally weak...and sometimes you just can't change that. He has had plenty of time to be ready time to push his big ass ou the nest so he can fly...............or smack the ground.  

And i agree it ain't like he is a wet behind the ears kids....sometimes it is time to stop coddling the kids and force them to grow up.

It's sink or swim when i was 19 i was off the coast of Iraq and driving amphibious landing crafts onto beaches full of marines and seals during stressful combat situations...so if they are mentally weak they are just mentally weak...and sometimes you just can't change that. He has had plenty of time to be ready time to push his big ass ou the nest so he can fly...............or smack the ground.  

When was this?  I dont recall there being any amphibious assaults in either the current Iraq war or Persian Gulf.  Most amphibious operations in the Persian Gulf War were, feints, not actual combat situations.

When was this?

1991-1992 Gulf War off the coast of Kuwait. Gulf of Oman. You know you're old when one of your relatives tell you they studied a war you were in in high school.

This is what i use to drive although the one we had then had a mounted 50 cal on the right side for cover fire.

1991-1992 Gulf War off the coast of Kuwait. Gulf of Oman. You know you're old when one of your relatives tell you they studied a war you were in in high school.

This is what i use to drive although the one we had then had a mounted 50 cal on the right side for cover fire.

Ah ok, I was in Iraq from 05-06 with the 101st.  Also a .50 gunner.

Ah ok, I was in Iraq from 05-06 with the 101st.  Also a .50 gunner.

Yes that isn't anything like what i went through brother. Thank you for your service. My time there wasn't that bad really yes there were casualties but nothing like it was when they went back over there in 2003.

Like you said you were there and that as you know was hell. I hope you came home intact. I know mentally noone of will never bee the same. I have two friends i have now that say they still deal with issues with stuff they seen and went through.

One was a ghost rider....he is shell but i love him he is a good dude.

My father was a river rat in Vietnam and there are some vets here. Bertmega is a former marine. And also welcome to this site. 

Like your avatar by the way.

I still can here the combat in the distance as we camped on the beach waiting for marine recon or seals to return from a patrol or Op. It is why i can't sleep now in a quiet room.

Yes that isn't anything like what i went through brother. Thank you for your service. My time there wasn't that bad really yes there were casualties but nothing like it was when they went back over there in 2003.

Like you said you were there and that as you know was hell. I hope you came home intact. I know mentally noone of will never bee the same. I have two friends i have now that say they still deal with issues with stuff they seen and went through.

My father was a river rat in Vietnam and there are some vets here. Bertmega is a former marine. And also welcome to this site. 

I still can here the combat in the distance as we camped on the beach waiting for marine recon or seals to return from a patrol or Op. It is why i can't sleep now in a quiet room.

came back in one piece physically and mentally (I think....), thanks for your service as well.  My year there wasnt too bad.  Hit by an IED once, other than that, relatively quiet in a Kurdish area (kirkuk, and towns north of).

Holy crap Batman.....how in the holy hell did this little tidbit slip by me?!?!   You're a friggin hero!!   Thank you and Delta for your service. It's one thing to talk about protecting our way of life, it's quite another to have the backbone to go and get'er done!!! 

Jammer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/327th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

101st was in country in 2003 same time as I was with 3rd Cav, though we were in different AOs.

Ahhh, so it's his actual Regiment....very cool. Excuse my ignorance, but isn't that flower also used in the Provincial Flag of Quebec?....What is the significance for a US Regiment?

The fleur-de-lis has long been a French heraldric symbol, and migrated across the Atlantic. He'll have to tell you the significance of the heraldry of the Regimental crest, it's not something I know. Might have to do with their time in France during WWI.

Traditionally, yes. However, military heraldy typically tells a story about the unit. Here's the story here (source):

The shield is blue for Infantry; blue is also the color of the South Carolina State flag. The palmetto tree is from the State flag of South Carolina, the allocation of the 327th Infantry. The red bend is taken from the arms of the ancient province of Lorraine, and the fleurs-de-lis indicate the three major operations in which the organization participated during World War I.

Archived