Trotz vs Ovechkin

wow what a match made in hell. after his love fest with Oates ended badly costing his coaches job, they brought in a (GASP!) defensive minded team first coach who has shown zero preference for Russian star players such as the Kostitsyn brothers or Radulov who ran far and fast and went back home rather than play his style of hockey.

Absolute best coaching hire possible for the Capitals as a team, absolutely the worst coaching hire possible for Ovie. It is gonna be fun.

There's going to be a lot of pouting going on in Washington this year. Unless Trotz decides it's not worth the wasted effort and just tries to get the rest of the team to play his game, while Ovechkin continues his goalsucking ways. Should be entertaining at least.

• Like 1

wow what a match made in hell. after his love fest with Oates ended badly costing his coaches job, they brought in a (GASP!) defensive minded team first coach who has shown zero preference for Russian star players such as the Kostitsyn brothers or Radulov who ran far and fast and went back home rather than play his style of hockey.

Absolute best coaching hire possible for the Capitals as a team, absolutely the worst coaching hire possible for Ovie. It is gonna be fun.

Alzner is probably going to have a heck of a year :)

@J0e Th0rnton  Ha, just posted my thoughts on this in the Trotz thread, did not see this one. My post in a quick synopsis is Trotz will win any battle between him and OV. Gone are the days where OV can bully a coach, or get his way like a petulant child. If OV does not get with the system, it's OV and NOT Trotz who will be shown the door.

it's OV and NOT Trotz who will be shown the door.

Well, not so fast. Ovie has a NTC that kicks in July 1 this year. While he might be shown the door, it will not be without cause to the team. That is not to say that Ovie does not decide to lift his NTC or "retire" and go to KHL (is that permissible under current CBA?). 

As you and I discussed, just move him now. Nashville is the premiere landing spot for him because Lavy will give him tons of latitude to play his style and Renne has the ability to save their bacon when Ovie is being well Ovie on the defensive 100ft of ice. 

LA would be interesting, but I just can't see Lombardi or Suter wanting anything to do with the stench that is coming out of Ovie currently. Nashville REALLY needs a marquee name / splash for the offensive side of their team. They shed a local hero in Trotz, brought in a run and gun coach and now they need a marquee run and gun player to complete the trifecta. I wonder if Ovie likes gritz?

Edited by Vanflyer

@Vanflyer   Maybe the NHL can purchase the rights to Ovechkin. They give the Caps owner 200 million for their troubles....and then they use OV as the key component for the true hidden expansion plans....in Louisiana. Yep, the Batton Rouge Rhino's ....coming to a crawdad party near you!  Very handy when you think about it, the only way to get OV to backcheck is voodoo.

Maybe the NHL can purchase the rights to Ovechkin. They give the Caps owner 200 million for their troubles....and then they use OV as the key component for the true hidden expansion plans....in Louisiana. Yep, the Batton Rouge Rhino's ....coming to a crawdad party near you!  Very handy when you think about it, the only way to get OV to backcheck is voodoo.

Sign me up as season ticket holder (love jumbo and crawldaddies). Where is Mickey Rourke when you need him??? 

• 2 weeks later...