Operation Scuttle the Ship

Buffalo Rick

Think of the Buffalo Sabres 2014 upcoming season as a tank job,.   We are going to be the Red October.  Orders are "Scuttle the Ship".  What other choice is there?  I wonder where Darcy Regier is fishing?  He is going to need a bigger boat if some Buffalo fans get their paws on him.  When you trade Vanek, Miller, Moulson and let everyone "escape"  the impending misery, you are sending a clear message.  They may as well allow the other team score two goals early in the game and then go out and play pond hockey.  Its all hands on deck to land one of these studs, two of whom are supposed to be better than all the rest?  If this is true, they should be able to get one of them.  It may take some work to be worse than Florida and the Islanders two years in a row.   And I guess I should throw Edmonton and Calgary into the fire as well?  This year the draft is not as deep they keep saying.  So is there a goalie worth drafting that could be the next Hasek or Miller?  Probably not, but that job belongs to the GM.  In the end there is only one thing to do.    Just lose baby

Think of the Buffalo Sabres 2014 upcoming season as a tank job,.   We are going to be the Red October.  Orders are "Scuttle the Ship".  What other choice is there?  I wonder where Darcy Regier is fishing?  He is going to need a bigger boat if some Buffalo fans get their paws on him.  When you trade Vanek, Miller, Moulson and let everyone "escape"  the impending misery, you are sending a clear message.  They may as well allow the other team score two goals early in the game and then go out and play pond hockey.  Its all hands on deck to land one of these studs, two of whom are supposed to be better than all the rest?  If this is true, they should be able to get one of them.  It may take some work to be worse than Florida and the Islanders two years in a row.   And I guess I should throw Edmonton and Calgary into the fire as well?  This year the draft is not as deep they keep saying.  So is there a goalie worth drafting that could be the next Hasek or Miller?  Probably not, but that job belongs to the GM.  In the end there is only one thing to do.    Just lose baby

The last thing they want to do is tell a young team full of kids that they either should lose or shouldn't mind losing.

You want these kids to play every game like it means something and let the chips fall where they may, or else you're just establishing a losing core to build on.

Buffalo doesn't need to be Edmonton.

@flyercanuck  Ha...that is what I was thinking. The Sabres did not tank, they were God awful, simple as that.

Sure, but the thread is about next season.

And, I mean, all the team has is a bunch of kids that came out of Junior. What hope could they have?

:ph34r:

Gonna have to agree with @radoran on this one, @Hockey Junkie .

Under NO circumstances should a FO or coaching staff play to lose games.

It honestly doesn't matter whether you have raw rookies or experienced vets....once the message is sent that losing is ok, that will permeate the team's culture and locker room with such a stench that it may take years or even decades, to clean away.

Certainly finishing in a position to be able to claim a top player in any draft is desirable to a team in serious need of talent infusion, but at what cost?

The integrity, self respect, and competitive edge of your current players?

The loss of fan support and respect around the league, none of whom should ever, EVER support a 'tank job'?

No, that simply isn't worth it.

Plus, who is to say that even if Buffalo tanks, and they get the players they want in the draft that those players won't bust, suffer career shortening injuries, or be good, but then simply walk away the first chance they get because they can't stand being a part of an organization that accepts losing.

Then what is Buffalo left with? A continuing losing culture where no good FA in their right mind would want to be a part of and one where would-be NHL'ers in any draft hopes they can avoid being drafted to.

Best thing the Sabres can do is prepare and play next season as if they EXPECT to win the Stanley Cup. THAT is the only choice there.

They certainly will struggle and lose games, especially being in a pretty tough Atlantic division, but at least that way, they do it honestly, keep their integrity intact, and then really CAN make good decisions regarding who really belongs there and who needs to be shipped out.

No, that simply isn't worth it.

Tell that to the 1983 Pittsburgh Penguins, who sucked enough to bring their saviour Mario to town. There is specific times to suck....I don't think you can tell the players to suck, but management can sit certain guys, or start sub-par goalies to get the job done. There is a time and a place for this kinda stuff, despite people who take the high moral ground on this. Had the Flyers pulled a bit of this, we would have had Seth Jones, instead, we settled for Morin, a project. It's all about putting the franchise in a position to win a cup down the line....which is MUCH more important than a few meaningless regular season games that NOBODY will ever remember when it's all said and done.

Tell that to the 1983 Pittsburgh Penguins, who sucked enough to bring their saviour Mario to town. There is specific times to suck....I don't think you can tell the players to suck, but management can sit certain guys, or start sub-par goalies to get the job done. There is a time and a place for this kinda stuff, despite people who take the high moral ground on this. Had the Flyers pulled a bit of this, we would have had Seth Jones, instead, we settled for Morin, a project. It's all about putting the franchise in a position to win a cup down the line....which is MUCH more important than a few meaningless regular season games that NOBODY will ever remember when it's all said and done.

They gotta at least wanna beat the Islanders, right? :D

I don't think they have anybody that would have any effect if "sat" to affect the long term outcome of the team. It's a bunch of younger players that, at worst, you run the risk of someone really breaking out and having a stellar season. That's the biggest "risk" - a player having a breakout performance. 

They have no standout goalie but a number of good prospects. 

I do think that Buffalo will likely be a lottery team again, but if this group finds a way to sneak into the 8th seed or even get a taste of competing for a playoff spot and has players that have stepped up to make that possible, how would that be any better or worse than getting another player with "potential" in the draft?

@radoran  The Sabres need game changers at every position. The only real way to add these is through the draft. They don't have the chips to make a trade for a elite player.....and thanks to the spending spree a few summers ago, they don't have the room to offer sheet a RFA, the other way to add a legit game changing player.

At this point, it's becoming important the kids get some playoff experience.....but one more year of losing would not kill them either. Getting a shot at McDavid would be a HUGE game changer for the Sabres, who have gone decades with a legit #1 center. If there was ever a time to "outright suck", it's 14-15....at least get some more balls in there and increase their chances of securing one of the best offensive threats to come out of the CHL.

I believe they should be fine on defense with Risto and Zadrov waiting in the wings. They need goals now...and in a big way. McDavid fits that bill to a tee.

@radoran  The Sabres need game changers at every position. The only real way to add these is through the draft. They don't have the chips to make a trade for a elite player.....and thanks to the spending spree a few summers ago, they don't have the room to offer sheet a RFA, the other way to add a legit game changing player.

At this point, it's becoming important the kids get some playoff experience.....but one more year of losing would not kill them either. Getting a shot at McDavid would be a HUGE game changer for the Sabres, who have gone decades with a legit #1 center. If there was ever a time to "outright suck", it's 14-15....at least get some more balls in there and increase their chances of securing one of the best offensive threats to come out of the CHL.

I believe they should be fine on defense with Risto and Zadrov waiting in the wings. They need goals now...and in a big way. McDavid fits that bill to a tee.

They have a bunch of high draft picks in their pockets and a number of pretty good draft picks already in the organization. 

Again, I think they will be a lottery team regardless of what they do next season. All I'm saying is if the team coaleces and a couple of players have breakout, standout seasons - that's really about the same thing as what you're saying. I'm not going out and overpaying for a scoring winger or defensive depth. I want to see if any of the guys I have can do that.

They are a real blank slate with essentially Hodgson, Myers and Ehrhoff the only players they are committed to long term. Well, and Leino, but if you don't buy him out...

In a year or two, they could be a very attractive location for some free agents, providing that the number is right.

The stupid thing is that they are going to be looking for a top line scoring winger, depth scoring and leadership. Which pretty much defines all of the players they have let go. Those relationships soured and today it is a new owner, new GM and blank slate.

Pretty much sucks for everybody but the Minnesota Sabres. Just watch them sign Ryan Miller...

I agree with this totally and this is my point.  Radoran, that is a pretty accurate statement, the Minnesota Sabres.  Based on what we have done, or what past management has done, they have to lose. I am not saying you tell the players that.  But you do it just as Jammer says.  I Red October Captain Ramius (Sean Connery) knew waht was going on but his crew did not.  The same must apply here, even though I am sure most of them will see through it and realize the need for one of these two guys to be drafted.  A bottom two finish assures them of one of them.  And as to which is better?  I have seen often enough players misjudged at lower level.  Super Mario and Gilbert Perrault were exceptions.  They knew what they were getting. I do think that with a few free agent moves and such Buffalo could very easily overtake teams like Florida, Islanders, Edmonton and Calgary.  It would not be much of a stretch.  But as one of you said, they have a pretty blank slate.  Hodgeson, Myers and Erhoff  and I believe Ennis are the only real long term guys now.  I am sure they will get a free agent or two.  The fans will never go away.  That has been proven and I even questioned it but was told that too many commited business's in town to scoop up season tickets.  Their season ticket sales alone keep them alive

I'm pretty sure they end up with one of McDavid, Eichel or Hanifan next year, to go with one of Ekblad/Bennett/Reinhart next month. They've already got some great defensive prospects. And plenty of high draft picks. But right now as they sit they are the worst team in hockey. So when HJ says "it may take some work"  to finish last, I disagree. Just keep on the way they are.

Drafting top 3 next year should definately make the rebuild a lot easier.