demise

blocker

Lots of us have labored hard to develop High School hockey.  In Vermont,  up until a few years ago, that work had paid off. 

But, there are signs of a decline. 

A lot of the best high school players left to play prep school.   Scholarships are available for good hockey players.  It's a wise move for most of these kids.   Local High Schools can't match the academics. 

Because of the loss of these athletes, Vermont high school hockey is on a dip.   I wonder about it's future.

We've already seen the damage such practices have with girls' hockey.

Vermont girl's high school hockey teams have a hard time garnering enough kids to field teams.  Every year, two or three schools have to combine players to have the numbers sufficient to form a team.  That predicament started with the creation of elite girl's teams.  When the best one or two kids left a program to play at a higher level, their friends stopped playing hockey. 

Funny how often our efforts produce results far away from our aims. 

Lots of us have labored hard to develop High School hockey.  In Vermont,  up until a few years ago, that work had paid off. 

But, there are signs of a decline. 

A lot of the best high school players left to play prep school.   Scholarships are available for good hockey players.  It's a wise move for most of these kids.   Local High Schools can't match the academics. 

I am not sure I would look at that as a failure. I would look at it as a success. Opening the door and exposing youths and giving them an opportunity to player / learn at a higher level is exactly what you want. 

In reading your post, while I get the lament about deterioration, I would look at it as an opportunity to expose / give even more kids a chance to play. For each elite hockey player that goes off to Prep school to play, that opens a spot for a kid that may not be as skilled / academically as good to get involved. The hard part is it takes more canvassing / promoting. The work is never done. 

Yet, to think it was for naught is a bit shortsighted IMO. Keep up the good work. Get more kids involved. 

Van------I didn't express myself very well.

I mentioned the shrinking numbers of girl high school players.  The reason I did that was to voice my fears that the same thing might happen to boys' hockey.