Trotz in Our Division: Playing the Caps will be Different

Howie58

Greetings:

I have a lot of respect for this guy. I think he will get more commitment out his players or have them done away with. Columbus will be no patsy in coming years. I suspect Trotz will get these guys to play a team concept with better D.  This is only one more reason we play in what has to be one of the most competitive divisions in all of professional sports.

Best,

Howie

Greetings:

I have a lot of respect for this guy. I think he will get more commitment out his players or have them done away with. Columbus will be no patsy in coming years. I suspect Trotz will get these guys to play a team concept with better D.  This is only one more reason we play in what has to be one of the most competitive divisions in all of professional sports.

Best,

Howie    You may be right. His GM undermined the team with a lot of bad trades and moves. Not sure of the Caps GM Phlyer1

I suspect Trotz will get these guys to play a team concept with better D.  

I would agree with that assessment, I wonder how the most selfish player in the history of sports will respond.....Maybe Ovie decides his teammates and winning a Cup are both actually important to him, but i wouldn't bet on it. 

Greetings:

Best,

Howie

Well i'd expect a retool/weed out year first before the get this thing turned a round but it's a good choice i thought and yes could spell trouble for the Flyers in the near future for sure.

But the Flyers are making good strides too and can't be over looked as well. It's a arms race but is every year.

Hopefully the Flyers are ahead of the curve slightly...time will tell. But yes i believe it just got harder.

Phlyer, Occam and Sar:

Agreed that Ovie may get a good swift kick...or might be told to cut 15 goals and go +15 instead of 51 goals and-17.  Yes, I think we will be better if only because this group knows what they are capable of when playing as a team.  My fear is that the Mason Resurrection may fizzle (hope I am wrong) and that we don't do much to help our D.  Only time will tell.

Howie

My fear is that the Mason Resurrection may fizzle (hope I am wrong) and that we don't do much to help our D. Only time will tell.

hey Howie - good point about Trotz, if anyone can get it done in Washington he's the one. (meaning get #8 to play at least some defense)

I'm not terribly worried about Mason but what you say about the Flyers' D is right on the money I think. Everything I hear out of the Flyers' camp points to small moves this summer and I don't like the sounds of that. There may not be a lot to choose from but there are UFA/RFA D-men who can help us.

You and I seem to be in the minority now; everybody else is clamoring for a winger to slot into the top line. I feel like, unless LSchenn and Mac both take huge steps next season we're going to be stuck in our own zone a lot - again. Gus is gone, Streit is what he is, and then there's Coburn, Grossmann and maybe Kimmo. To me it's obvious those top 6 aren't good enough - in transition especially but also just basic coverage down low. Mason bailed them out so many times I just don't see how we can hope to compete without getting better defensively.

I'm betting the house that Trotz (whom I like) will ultimately be an abject failure in Washington. Not until or unless Ovechkin is gone.

It's a shame (good thing for Flyers) that Pittsburgh did it's absolutely retarded "keep the stupid coach" thing because Trotz would have been such a better fit there.

I'm betting the house that Trotz (whom I like) will ultimately be an abject failure in Washington. Not until or unless Ovechkin is gone.

It's a shame (good thing for Flyers) that Pittsburgh did it's absolutely retarded "keep the stupid coach" thing because Trotz would have been such a better fit there.

Rux: I agree with your assessment. My friendly amendment is Trotz's AHL days were more "run-and-gun." His self-assessment in Nashville is that he adopted a style to the talent he was given. But I agree that Ovie may be a liability unless he is "amended."

Peace,

Howie

Excellent thought.....thank God the Pens never got a hold of Trotz, he was exactly what they needed. Not happy to see Trotz in the Eastern Conference, but I'd much rather see him at the helm of the Caps and not the Pens.