Changes coming to playoff format?

brelic

I wish they'd start the season in mid-September. Preseason starts at the beginning of September. That means camp starts mid-August. Seems early, but not when you consider that the Stanley Cup would be awarded in May.

Starting earlier would be terrific with me.

As for a new format - assuming they "need" to have divisional playoffs - First Round is the same setup as it is now with the wild cards and top three seeds in each division. Second Round is reseeded by regular season record, as are the Conference Finals, etc.

If they want to do play-in games on a regular basis for the two wild cards, it seems silly, but would inevitably involve more teams in the "playoff chase". It's a little esoteric, but the hockey fan in me sees those as not "playoff" games, but play-in games. You still have to win 16 playoff games to win the Cup.

That also answers the question about top seeds taking too much or getting extra time off - everybody except the "wild cards" would get that 2-3 day break. I think that would be good for all concerned, although we would inevitably hear about whether the time off affected "hot" teams.

I agree with many that the important thing is to get a format and stick with it so that you're not changing rules every year.

That sort of stuff only belongs in the officiating on the ice... :ph34r:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting earlier would be terrific with me.

Yup. I've tuned out the playoffs a long time ago. Too nice outside and I'd much rather be doing that stuff than watching hockey. Add afternoon games in the mix, and I'm definitely out.

If they want to do play-in games on a regular basis for the two wild cards, it seems silly, but would inevitably involve more teams in the "playoff chase". It's a little esoteric, but the hockey fan in me sees those as not "playoff" games, but play-in games. You still have to win 16 playoff games to win the Cup.

That would work. I find it 'gimmicky' that they would want to widen the playoff pool, and maybe use single-elimination or something similar. I mean, what was the point of the previous 82 games then? I thought it was to determine playoff seeding!

While I agree with you! As long as Gary is running the NHL get used to bad markets teams. Hey I fought this **** for years but it's a losing battle. As long as Gary has his SUPER MAJORITY clause the weak teams aren't going away!

Fact of life my friend. Tell me what the last two lockouts were about?

Yeah yeah you have a point there we can still dream.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ changes everything....just look at the pot laws starting to crumble all from everyone having $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in their eyes so crazier things have happened.....the NHL can't keep taking a loss  with these clubs in Florida and Phoenix....to many retires there and most that love hockey there only go to see there favorite other team....and it ain't the home teams. 

I wish they'd start the season in mid-September. Preseason starts at the beginning of September. That means camp starts mid-August. Seems early, but not when you consider that the Stanley Cup would be awarded in May.

Thats not the solution to the problem though. Think about it. The season begins Oct 10 ish and ends April 10ish. 7 mos of regular season basically (give or take). Then the playoffs run april 15 ish to june 15ish. 3 months. There is no way that a playoffs should be that long. Its nearly 38% of the regular season in length. There is a maximum of 28 games per team. That is 1/4 of a regular season. Seldom does it reach that, but 25% is < 38%. 

I could go on, just get the boys to play every other day and balance the schedule appropriately between conferences including the odd 6 pm start on the west coast and 3pm start on the east coast on the weekends and be done with it. 

@Vanflyer  - 

Well I don't follow the business side of the NHL. Everything I'm saying about Bettman and owners is just my impression I got over the years. So you're probably more informed than I am.

But it seems to me without veto power the commissioner would be a complete lackey, a puppet of the owners. I'm not "drinking kool-aid" I just don't believe he's the "divine ruler" you're making him out to be. The best I can tell nothing moves in the NHL without the owners blessing or their acquiescence.

@Vanflyer  - 

Well I don't follow the business side of the NHL. Everything I'm saying about Bettman and owners is just my impression I got over the years. So you're probably more informed than I am.

But it seems to me without veto power the commissioner would be a complete lackey, a puppet of the owners. I'm not "drinking kool-aid" I just don't believe he's the "divine ruler" you're making him out to be. The best I can tell nothing moves in the NHL without the owners blessing or their acquiescence.

Make NO mistake Bettman runs the NHL and owners make the money. It's really as simple as that. He put a gag order on the owners in the past. And they followed it. He runs the show.

Make NO mistake Bettman runs the NHL and owners make the money. It's really as simple as that. He put a gag order on the owners in the past. And they followed it. He runs the show.

He can be removed by the owners. He needs 2/3 of ownership to back him on most things and he has that.

You are giving me way too much credit. I know zero about the inner workings of any pro sports league / marketing / tv / etc. My POV is only from what I know and have seen. To another posters point, its about the owners making money. All well and good (until the next lockout), but wouldn't it serve the best interest of even the casual fan to have a game on every night and not a two day lay off once every round for every match up?? Drives me bananas. For the banged up player its a reprieve, but for the rest of the squad, they are chomping at the bit to get going again. 

Again, I know nothing about the economics of it or the "venue" scheduling (ie. when the circus was in town, the Flyers couldn't play- thus a break). In the 80's, there was none of this problem. Hockey was the only game in town, other than the Grateful dead doing a run of 3 shows in the spring. They were the only balls you needed to juggle (oh and the random sixers run). Now there are many more events. Yet I would like to think the schedulers could solve most of that. 

He can be removed by the owners. He needs 2/3 of ownership to back him on most things and he has that.

And why they suddenly want get rid of him? With the current cap and revenue sharing they're all making money. Would want be the guy in the room that stands up and tells Snider, Jacobs and Bettman that you think they're wrong. In the past Snider and Jacobs have told "younger" owners to sit down and shut up. With cap and the players share cut back Snider and Jacobs (and others) are rolling in cash. So of course they are blindly following GB.

I would love to see a straight up 1-16....to hell with the conferences. Wow, you would get some crazy series. I think this would place more emphasis on the regular season. If you just eek into the playoffs, do you really want to play one of the current Western Conference powerhouses LA or Chicago in the first round?  You would have an awful lot of pressure to improve a middle of the pack team to avoid such a match up. Even St.Louis the Ducks or the Sharks would be scary match-ups.

With Boston and the Penguins showing some warts, the East is so wide open, it makes for a good, but not great team can squeeze into the finals and that does not sit right with me. You might just have a better chance at the 2 best teams playing for the cup  under the 1 vs 16 scenario, not the weak sister who makes it out of the East. I realize this is a cyclical thing, but damn, the East is a mess right now.

2. The league wants to revert to a seeding format where higher seeds face lower seeds within the conference instead of what we have now. Basically what we had before this year.

I thought the current format was to intensify divisional rivalries? Right or wrong, to give up on it after one season is a load of horse crap. It would be like changing the divisional alignment after one season (ie. Detroit going back to the western conference, etc). If you want to grow fans, stop tinkering every minute. Do studies and analysis BEFORE you make the change and make an informed decision. Don't do a "live" trial balloon and then change your mind. 

@Vanflyer   I know it would never, ever happen....but imagine if fans got to vote on these kinda things. Give every single season ticket holder a vote in important matters, such as playoff alignment and whether to scrap the shootout. You could set the bar high, so it would take an 80% majority to make something stick. That way, if fans really wanted to band together, they could vote down the shoot out. Imagine that, giving fans that spend their hard earned thousands a chance to see what they really want?  The NHL would profit off this also, any fan who is sitting on the edge on buying season tickets, the ability to vote and really make a difference would push them towards buying.

@Vanflyer   I know it would never, ever happen....but imagine if fans got to vote on these kinda things. Give every single season ticket holder a vote in important matters, such as playoff alignment and whether to scrap the shootout. You could set the bar high, so it would take an 80% majority to make something stick.

Interesting thought and one that I like. I guess how do you moderate a guy sitting at applebees from imposing his will in the voting process (think all star game voting)? 

@Vanflyer  At least the guy at Applebee's could only turn one vote, unless he knows more than one season ticket holder...plus, most would be so enamored with the idea of making a real difference, they would dare not give away their one vote.

At least the guy at Applebee's could only turn one vote, unless he knows more than one season ticket holder...plus, most would be so enamored with the idea of making a real difference, they would dare not give away their one vote.

I missed the season ticket holder part. I am okay with that point and it does add some control. The only thing I would want in that approach is to let the corporate boys nominate a worthy joe to take their vote. Most are not there for the game but to smooze, so they give a rats ass what the rules are. 

The other part about the season ticket approach, is there are allot of "haves" / hockey snobs (ie. look at me in my cardigan blah blah blah). Its not like the old days at the spectrum when the season tix holders were the true die hard fans that could / provide valuable input into shaping the game. 

There is not happy answer without some sort of censorship / moderating to the qualifications of the voter. Therein lies the problem. What may seem fair and appropriate to you and i, there will be 10 fold bitching about it and vice versa. 

@Vanflyer   I know it would never, ever happen....but imagine if fans got to vote on these kinda things. Give every single season ticket holder a vote in important matters, such as playoff alignment and whether to scrap the shootout. You could set the bar high, so it would take an 80% majority to make something stick. That way, if fans really wanted to band together, they could vote down the shoot out. Imagine that, giving fans that spend their hard earned thousands a chance to see what they really want?  The NHL would profit off this also, any fan who is sitting on the edge on buying season tickets, the ability to vote and really make a difference would push them towards buying.

Your vote is your ticket purchase!

Your vote is your ticket purchase!

With all due respect, I call bull crap on that. In todays and even yesterdays economy, many can / could not afford to go to a game. A family of four, to sit in the nose bleeds cost $300 these days. So, many sit at home, watching on tv / streaming etc. This is the problem. There are many that are astute to the game, but their wallets are thin and / or priorities are elsewhere. At the end of the day, there are no simple answers. 

At the end of the day, I would open it up to a questionnaire of yes / no stuff, but makes you think. Do a sliding scale and be done with it. 

With all due respect, I call bull crap on that. In todays and even yesterdays economy, many can / could not afford to go to a game. A family of four, to sit in the nose bleeds cost $300 these days. So, many sit at home, watching on tv / streaming etc. This is the problem. There are many that are astute to the game, but their wallets are thin and / or priorities are elsewhere. At the end of the day, there are no simple answers.

At the end of the day, I would open it up to a questionnaire of yes / no stuff, but makes you think. Do a sliding scale and be done with it.

Sarcasm was intended. Now at the end of the day Gary and the boys don't give a rats butt what the fans actually want. Especially the traditional will always be there fan.

See the shootout and the 3 point games. Both are equally F'd up yet they're going nowhere. And why you might ask? Because they want the nontraditional fans and don't care about all others.

I would love to see a straight up 1-16....to hell with the conferences. Wow, you would get some crazy series. I think this would place more emphasis on the regular season. If you just eek into the playoffs, do you really want to play one of the current Western Conference powerhouses LA or Chicago in the first round?  You would have an awful lot of pressure to improve a middle of the pack team to avoid such a match up. Even St.Louis the Ducks or the Sharks would be scary match-ups.

The first time the Flyers were in a first round series that made them fly back and forth across the country in a seven game series before potentially facing last year's Cup champion who got to stay in the same time zone, I have a feeling your feelings on the matter might be a little different.

It's insane to have the possibility of first (or even second) round, cross-country travel in the playoffs. Just insane.

Didn't read every single part of this thread...some parts, frankly were a bit unreadable due to the derailment of the topic in some areas...but my thirty nine cents on changes to the new playoff format: NO! Leave things alone already!

I will acknowledge that the NHL has a bunch of things that could use revision and fixing, and it did take me a while to warm up to the new format, but looking back, I would have to say the new re-alignment and the new format (well, new old format, as this was done before) has worked out pretty well and its intention of intensifying division rivalries is well on its way.

No need for the NHL to go monkey with the recipe on playoffs so soon after implementing it.

As many have stated, it's no way to keep certain fan sects if the rules/formats/etc are going to be changed more often than some people change underwear (yikes...just gave myself a very nasty visual just now :o  ) !

Anyways, the NHL is closing in on a very successful playoff season under the new format and honestly, even though I did like the previous 1-8 conference format, I think the current 'play out of your division' format has the potential to really create some matchups where teams are so fed up with seeing each other that some genuine rivalries will develop and not the hackneyed manufactured rivalries the NHL and media has sometimes been guilty of trying to create.

I know evolution is part of any sport and the NHL is no different, but evolution implies subtle changes as time goes on, not sudden drastic changes on a seasonal basis, and I think the NHL should just leave the playoff format alone for the next decade or so (at least) and focus their attention on other areas that need some serious overhaul (ahem....rewarding losing teams with precious standings points and the shootout to determine who was the 'better' team, for starters).

Didn't read every single part of this thread...some parts, frankly were a bit unreadable due to the derailment of the topic in some areas...but my thirty nine cents on changes to the new playoff format: NO! Leave things alone already!

I will acknowledge that the NHL has a bunch of things that could use revision and fixing, and it did take me a while to warm up to the new format, but looking back, I would have to say the new re-alignment and the new format (well, new old format, as this was done before) has worked out pretty well and its intention of intensifying division rivalries is well on its way.

No need for the NHL to go monkey with the recipe on playoffs so soon after implementing it.

As many have stated, it's no way to keep certain fan sects if the rules/formats/etc are going to be changed more often than some people change underwear (yikes...just gave myself a very nasty visual just now :o ) !

Anyways, the NHL is closing in on a very successful playoff season under the new format and honestly, even though I did like the previous 1-8 conference format, I think the current 'play out of your division' format has the potential to really create some matchups where teams are so fed up with seeing each other that some genuine rivalries will develop and not the hackneyed manufactured rivalries the NHL and media has sometimes been guilty of trying to create.

I know evolution is part of any sport and the NHL is no different, but evolution implies subtle changes as time goes on, not sudden drastic changes on a seasonal basis, and I think the NHL should just leave the playoff format alone for the next decade or so (at least) and focus their attention on other areas that need some serious overhaul (ahem....rewarding losing teams with precious standings points and the shootout to determine who was the 'better' team, for starters).

Fruit Girl!

Two simple words that both the owners and players love to hear!

MORE REVENUE

As many have stated, it's no way to keep certain fan sects if the rules/formats/etc are going to be changed more often than some people change underwear (yikes...just gave myself a very nasty visual just now :o ) !

Fruit Girl!

Two simple words that both the owners and players love to hear!

MORE REVENUE