Changes coming to playoff format?

brelic

Oh, and I didn't mention it in my previous post, but on ADDING more teams to the playoff mix, definitely not.

It is only just in recent seasons that the NHL can get 8 legitimate playoff teams in each Conference whereas for many years, it seems there were some lower seeded teams that really had no business being in the post season.

The long standing jokes from those outside of the NHL fanbase of "everyone in the NHL gets into the playoffs" no longer hold true, and for that I am glad.

No reason to add more teams to the mix to dilute the playoff formula once again.

Play-in games are indeed gimmicky and pointless really, as the regular season should be enough to determine who gets to play past game 82.

As for extending the season and/or playoffs, again, no.

As was pointed out already, hockey season IS long and grueling enough.

Now, if the NHL wants to eliminate a few pre season games and have the overall NHL year start and end a bit sooner OR use those eliminated games to add a few extra regular season games, while having the NHL season end right about where it is now, then I can be on board with those things.

But lengthening the season and playoffs to go past mid June and into July possibly? Errrr, no thanks.

Some better overall scheduling really can take care of a few problems though...get a handle on that NHL!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once everyone here understands the NHL or NHLPA has no care of your thoughts, wishes or anything else you'll be less frusterated the next time they do something that makes you think WTF. Everything they do is about generating more revenue because both sides benefits hugely by increased revenue!

Once everyone here understands the NHL or NHLPA has no care of your thoughts, wishes or anything else you'll be less frusterated the next time they do something that makes you think WTF. Everything they do is about generating more revenue because both sides benefits hugely by increased revenue!

The choir has heard this story...

:ph34r: