Berube Interview

hf101

Berube was asked questions via twitter -  http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=720815

Here are a couple of quotes mentioning the Flyers strategy into next season.

@SportsnutVelz16
@NHLFlyers In what area do you think the team needs to improve most heading in to next season? #AskChief

"Well I still think we need to improve defensively. We have to cut down on the goals against. Whether it’s staying out of the penalty box, not giving up as many power-play goals or just different areas to become a better defensive team.

The other area we need to improve is that we need to have the puck more than we do. I think that we made good strides in keeping the puck and being a puck-possession team, but we can get better."

@Msgland
@NHLFlyers you mentioned analytics will be key to the team moving forward, can you elaborate at all? #askchief

"There are a lot of stats out there that are very helpful and we have people working for us that break these games down and give us some real good information on puck-possession and how much time we’re spending in our own end, how much time we’re spending in the neutral zone and things like that. It really helps us improve and get better."

Well, I'm going to bring up this debate again, based on this response.  SO.....the Best Player Available is a Center..do they?  Not a fan of that philosophy, and never will be.  

"I not really involved in the Draft as a whole. We have scouts for that, but where we pick, we’re going to take the best player available, so I’m not sure if it’s a D-man or forward, but I think we have to take the best player available and that’s what our philosophy is."

• Like 1

Well, I'm going to bring up this debate again, based on this response.  SO.....the Best Player Available is a Center..do they?  Not a fan of that philosophy, and never will be.  

"I not really involved in the Draft as a whole. We have scouts for that, but where we pick, we’re going to take the best player available, so I’m not sure if it’s a D-man or forward, but I think we have to take the best player available and that’s what our philosophy is."

I agree DGG...   If you draft the best player available and are lucky enough to grab a generational talent like Crosby I completely understand it... but the last thing the Flyers need is another Center (unless there is a plan to move someone)...

I agree DGG...   If you draft the best player available and are lucky enough to grab a generational talent like Crosby I completely understand it... but the last thing the Flyers need is another Center (unless there is a plan to move someone)...

I get there are exceptions to the rule, and things may change during the draft, but to ALWAYS have that philosophy.......

• Like 1

They may not need another Center right now but where they are picking the likelihood is that player is years away from making the NHL anyway.  Outside of Giroux are we sure Schenn, Couturier, Laughton, etc are going to still be Flyers 3-4 years from now?  I would hope that if their pick is up and they have a Center and D-man who they graded out equally that they take the D-man but there is no sense taking an inferior player just because its a position of need.  If drafting was the only way you could improve your team I would agree with taking the position of need but you can also make trades or sign free agents.  

Edited by PhilsFanDrew

One of the things they also firmly believe is that there are no "centers" - there are "forwards" and "forwards" should be able to play left, right, center - wherever. Unless it's Claude Giroux, who is a natural center that was drafted as a wing. But I digress...

I don't agree with that, but that's clearly among the team's "phillyosophies" as well.

And, let's be honest, "best player available" when you're picking outside the top 10 (or top three...) can be a very subjective thing. If your organization, for example, places a higher value on young forwards than young defensemen, then your "best player available" can be very different than a defense-minded organization or an "objective" outside ranking.

The Flyers - and the fanbase - also have a natural predilection to believe that if their first round pick isn't playing significant productive minutes in the NHL in his first season, he's "disappointing" and they give up on them.

And then they wind up, for example, searching for a potent left wing for their top line a year after dealing the 30-goal scoring left wing they drafted for a second pair defenseman.

But I digress...