Flyers Cap Hit Increases for Next Year

This is more informational, but feel free to discuss.  :)

From Timmy P's article today.

Claude Giroux: $8.275 million from $3.75 million

Andrew MacDonald: $5 million from $555,000

Steve Mason: $4.1 million from $1.5 million

Matt Read: $3.625 million from $900,000

Sean Couturier: $1.75 million from $1.375 million

Michael Raffl: $1.1 million from $792,500

Edited by DaGreatGazoo

Andrew MacDonald: $5 million from $555,000

This is the would that sticks out to me as the other i feel they have earned it . Amac not so much he now is one of the highest paid Dmen on the team. This will be the first one they look to move if things fall apart.

The only good news if you can say there is any....is he doesn't have the complimentary NTC or NMC....so he may only get one more year.......or maybe even be trade deadline trade fodder next year...we'll see.

Still cant believe the Coots deal, dude is a bargin @ $1.75 million. I hope Holmgren bought him dinner first!

Yes and it should be the bench mark for Schenn's deal...no way Schenn is more important than Coots.

• Like 1

The problem with Schenn's deal is this:  his agent is gonna argue that his "value" is at least $3.1 million, or close to that going forward.  He's going to base it on his last contract.  Yes, I know that was the Value based on unobtainable performance bonuses.  

But, if it was one of us, and it was our agent...what would you want the premise to be...the base contract, or the total annual value of the contract? Obviously, the higher of the two.

Based on performance, Coots is a great baseline for Schenn.  However, if the agent doesn't move off the previous contract AAV, and the Flyers have Coots number in stone as a comparison--this could get messy in a hurry.  

The problem with Schenn's deal is this:  his agent is gonna argue that his "value" is at least $3.1 million, or close to that going forward.  He's going to base it on his last contract.  Yes, I know that was the Value based on unobtainable performance bonuses.  

But, if it was one of us, and it was our agent...what would you want the premise to be...the base contract, or the total annual value of the contract? Obviously, the higher of the two.

Based on performance, Coots is a great baseline for Schenn.  However, if the agent doesn't move off the previous contract AAV, and the Flyers have Coots number in stone as a comparison--this could get messy in a hurry.  

bring on the offersheet...

Meltzer has been saying the same thing about Schenn's ELC, that is was really set up to increase the value of the next contract.  If only Schenn's agent's client didn't have so much room for improvement the plan would have worked perfectly.

Edited by mojo1917

Meltzer has been saying the same thing about Schenn's ELC, that is was really set up to increase the value of the next contract.  If only Schenn's agent's client didn't have so much room for improvement the plan would have worked perfectly

i can't really see the bonus structure influencing things all that much.  especially given that schenn didn't actually make any of that money.  put differently, he failed to meet the goals established in his ELC.  seems easy enough for hextall to say, "so let's just put all of that aside, yes?"

i mean, if my employer offers me a $100k bonus for meeting some crazy performance goal, and I fail to do so...i can't really go into my next performance review and demand that bonus be incorporated into my base pay going forward.

truth is, schenn has very little negotiating power in this next contract.  he has not been invaluable to the team so far.  if he were to hold out...so what?  not like he has been any kind of cornerstone to date.  if i were GM, his agent would be told the pay range we were looking at, that the pay can fluctuate somewhat if the term does as well, but within set guidelines.  $4mil, 2 years / $6.75mil, 3 years / $10mil, 4 years.  pick one.  if you are not happy with those choices, then go golf.  call me back when you are ready to pick, we'll be fine in the meantime.  there are a couple of phantoms we wouldn't mind getting a look at early next season anyway.

from there, schenn's agent really doesn't have a ton to say.

Yes and no. The draft is around the corner he is movable...if he wants to stay in Philly he better sign the Coots deal or he better have his bags backed. It is still a business and he really doesn't have much leverage. Lots of teams need a young 2nd line center.

i can't really see the bonus structure influencing things all that much.  especially given that schenn didn't actually make any of that money.  put differently, he failed to meet the goals established in his ELC.  seems easy enough for hextall to say, "so let's just put all of that aside, yes?"

i mean, if my employer offers me a $100k bonus for meeting some crazy performance goal, and I fail to do so...i can't really go into my next performance review and demand that bonus be incorporated into my base pay going forward.

truth is, schenn has very little negotiating power in this next contract.  he has not been invaluable to the team so far.  if he were to hold out...so what?  not like he has been any kind of cornerstone to date.  if i were GM, his agent would be told the pay range we were looking at, that the pay can fluctuate somewhat if the term does as well, but within set guidelines.  $4mil, 2 years / $6.75mil, 3 years / $10mil, 4 years.  pick one.  if you are not happy with those choices, then go golf.  call me back when you are ready to pick, we'll be fine in the meantime.  there are a couple of phantoms we wouldn't mind getting a look at early next season anyway.

Yes i agree.

I think there'll be heat on Schenn to re-sign at a value similar to Couturier's. He'll probably get a wee bit more simply because of offensive numbers (argue all you want, Schenn was a 20 goal scorer this past year and that means something), but it won't be nearly double of what Couturier is getting (maybe 250 to 300K more). Fact is, Schenn said he wants to be in Philadelphia and that a deal will probably be worked out that will be reasonable and fair for both sides.

Schenn said he wants to be in Philadelphia and that a deal will probably be worked out that will be reasonable and fair for both sides.

And there isn't a team out there that is going to offer sheet him. If he wants to play, he'll sign what hextall offers, within reason. Power entirely on the team's side.

Good post.

And there isn't a team out there that is going to offer sheet him. If he wants to play, he'll sign what hextall offers, within reason. Power entirely on the team's side.

I'd never say that there isn't a team that would offer sheet him, but the chances of it happening are very unlikely. The only way some team would offer sheet him would be to handcuff the Flyers financially. Even then, if they signed Schenn to a contract between 3.4 and 5.1 million a year, the Flyers get a 1st and a 3rd for it. Agreed though. Power is definitely on the team's side and that he'll get a reasonable offer from Hextall.

On a completely different note, I was on Cap Geek this morning and saw that the Flyers only have 6.8 million in cap space. I hope Grossmann and Lecavalier really see that the writing is on the wall for them and that they give Hextall a list of places they'd go to.

I hope Grossmann and Lecavalier really see that the writing is on the wall for them and that they give Hextall a list of places they'd go to.

Pretty sure Grossman doesnt have a NMC/NTC so he can be sent wherever Hextall gets the best deal. Still feels strange typing Hextall......

Pretty sure Grossman doesnt have a NMC/NTC so he can be sent wherever Hextall gets the best deal. Still feels strange typing Hextall......

Yes Gross has one but he is just allowed to name the teams he is willing to go to or doesn't want to go to. His contract is movable though. Jst conversing with Joe in the Sharks thread page he said he'd take him on the Sharks but you want get a whole lot for him it is close to just a salary dump.

But he could help some teams.

Even the Flyers but after watching the KIngs/Hawks Dcorps put on a clinic last night it proved that GrossmanN can't run and gun like that.

So if the Flyer want to transition to a blueline with wheels like that well he is one of the first that needs to go. Luke is enough slow Dmen for one blueline to handle.

RE: Grossmann... hey lets not overlook the possibility of adding Grossmannn and MacDonald and something else and a pick for a superduper star player, the veritable pu-pu platter of mid tier guys for said super duper star the ol' 75cents for a dollar bill type trade.  

RE: Grossmann... hey lets not overlook the possibility of adding Grossmannn and MacDonald and something else and a pick for a superduper star player, the veritable pu-pu platter of mid tier guys for said super duper star the ol' 75cents for a dollar bill type trade.  

Sign me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

You'll have to tell schenner that.

IMHO coots is worth way more than Schenn. But Brayden and his agent may be thinking bigger. Based on what? I don't know. Projected potential I guess.

Yes and it should be the bench mark for Schenn's deal...no way Schenn is more important than Coots.

IMHO coots is worth way more than Schenn. But Brayden and his agent may be thinking bigger. Based on what? I don't know. Projected potential I guess.

Well it looks like Schenn doesn't have much leverage and we seen he wasn't intimidated by Goulbourne's agent he only offered him a AHL deal...his (Hexy) loyalty is to the Flyers and doing what is best for them first and so far he has shown that.

So Schenn either signs or doesn't play....and could be hardballing his way out of Philly by draft time. I think Schenn blinks first.