Robert Hagg: What they are saying

Wasn't it Sbisa who was sent back to juniors instead of staying th the AHL so we wouldn't have to pay his ELC?

Then his coach in juniors played him 40 minutes a game, he lost something like 30 lbs, got hurt and was never the same player again (one of the only fortuitous things to come out of the Pronger deal on our end).

I think the AHL is fine for D men for a period of time. I think for forwards with any real talent it's good mostly do conditioning them to 82 games a year which is a massive leap. Forwards waste away in the AHL after a year and never get better. Defense is different. There's a lot to learn and figure out and make second nature for them.

Either way it's very unlikely that Hagg and Ghost come up at the Same time. You can't risk two rookies on d the same season.

Been saying for years (and Meltzer brings it up again today) extra time in junior or the A never hurt anyones development...but rushing them sure has.

Rad is always telling me two years in college is equivalent in development to one year in junior. :ph34r:

@OccamsRazor

And that's why you're such a fine upstanding citizen today. That was a keg of rum, right?

AAAAaaaaaaaahhhhhh no.....i think Miller Geniune draft....that information may have died with one of my brain cells....but only the weak ones!!!!!  :ph34r:

here is quite a bit of emotional growth for everyone not named Jon Towes,

Isn't that the truth. What an amazing hockey player and captain- regardless of age. Add in his age and it is dumbfounding. 

• 2 months later...

Interesting article on Hagg in today's DN:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20140821_Flyers_prospect_Hagg_eager_to_get_started_on_a_pro_career_in_USA.html

Some tidbits:

"It is a dream come true that I signed with the Flyers," Hagg said. "I am really looking forward to playing my first season over here. It is going to be so fun. I am so excited."

"It is going to be in 2 years, being realistic," Hagg said. "Two years from now, I am going to have a Flyers jersey. That is my goal."

"Before the season starts, I am trying to build muscle and get quicker, because I need to be a lot quicker if I am going to play in the NHL, and more explosive, too," Hagg said. "Those are basically the two things I need to work on: my explosiveness and my quickness. On the ice, I need to get more consistency in the right areas."

"My game with the puck and making plays and passes is the best part of my game right now," Hagg said. "I need to continue to do what I am good at, and, at the same time, improve on what I am not so good at."

@JackStraw

Hard to argue with any of those statements.

I still like the pick. When you look at the possible other options at that spot, look at the guys taken in the 10-15 spots after him for example, I don't see anyone jump out at me that we obviously should have taken. Maybe Nick Sorensen, who I quite like but has already had some bad knee injuries. Or William Carrier (57th by STL, now in BUF) who has a Flyer type game.  

Hagg is certainly probably the safer pick than some of the guys taken after him, a bunch of whom were goalies. 

@JackStraw  I'm hoping I can catch some Phantom games on-line. Very excited to see Hagg's first pro season. If he exceeds expectations, perhaps we are treated to a nice 9 game preview. I doubt that happens, but ya never know, if he looks great in the AHL, and we have a few unexpected injuries, we might just see him in the O&B....but a lot of things would have to go his way. Gotta think Alt and Oliver are the first call ups, so it would take 3 Flyer defensive injuries, but we are talking about a McCrossin trained team...lol. Really, really cheering for Oliver to make the team out of camp, that would make my whole October!

Pretty generic statements.

Nice to know he's somewhat realistic.

I'd like to see some short stints of him with the big club next year though. Not full time. Just a few games here and there to give him some frame of reference. Don't want him getting too used to theAHL.

Would hope to see the same for Morin soon as well. Dip their toes in the frying pan - to mix a few metaphors.

Interesting article on Hagg in today's DN:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20140821_Flyers_prospect_Hagg_eager_to_get_started_on_a_pro_career_in_USA.html

Some tidbits:

"It is a dream come true that I signed with the Flyers," Hagg said. "I am really looking forward to playing my first season over here. It is going to be so fun. I am so excited."

"It is going to be in 2 years, being realistic," Hagg said. "Two years from now, I am going to have a Flyers jersey. That is my goal."

"Before the season starts, I am trying to build muscle and get quicker, because I need to be a lot quicker if I am going to play in the NHL, and more explosive, too," Hagg said. "Those are basically the two things I need to work on: my explosiveness and my quickness. On the ice, I need to get more consistency in the right areas."

"My game with the puck and making plays and passes is the best part of my game right now," Hagg said. "I need to continue to do what I am good at, and, at the same time, improve on what I am not so good at."

Pretty generic statements.

Nice to know he's somewhat realistic.

I'd like to see some short stints of him with the big club next year though. Not full time. Just a few games here and there to give him some frame of reference. Don't want him getting too used to theAHL.

Would hope to see the same for Morin soon as well. Dip their toes in the frying pan - to mix a few metaphors.

I'm pretty sure buses and Super 8 motels are enough motivation for most to try and earn that next step. 

In the old days, the Minor Leaguers used to need summer jobs. 

Kinda makes it harder to crack into the pros if you have to spend your spare time selling cars or insurance rather than working out.

I'm pretty sure buses and Super 8 motels are enough motivation for most to try and earn that next step.

I'm hoping that Robert Hagg becomes a Marc Edouard Vlasic type of defender for us. Perhaps the most under rated defender in the game.....

Vlasic sure is underrated. If they played together they could be "Haggis and Pickles," which is like a Scottish dream lunch. 

• 1 month later...

Archived