UPDATE: Snider had cancer

UPDATE:

@jammer2 just reminded me via PM that I had left this hanging out there.  I'd forgotten where I'd written it and this thread disappeared until recently.

I had three large masses in my lymph node under my left arm.   They'd biopsied and came back "inconclusive" and that was where I was when I wrote my posts.  They did surgically remove all three and came to the conclusion that they were non-cancerous tumors but were growing (I'm not sure how the "growing" and "non-cancerous" works but I'll take it).   So, I guess I'm okay there.   Thank you all for the concern expressed here.   It's nice to see that even a smarmy bastard like myself can still receive well-wishes from good folks like yourselves.

Peace!

Damn Rux sad to hear this. I pray for you brother and your recovery. Sadly it just doesn't seem like they aren't trying to cure this my best friend lost his mother last february.

Yes i know that is a pessimistic view which is unlike me but i can't but help think that way.

@murraycraven

I can't believe they still haven't found a cure. We buried a 26 year old niece with a 1 year old less than a month ago. Getting it when you're 81 is one thing....dying from it at her age is just wrong.

God man that is horrible FC... So sorry to hear. My daughter is 5 and one of her little friends from preschool just passed. Cancer shows no mercy and hopefully there is a cure someday.

@murraycraven

I can't believe they still haven't found a cure. We buried a 26 year old niece with a 1 year old less than a month ago. Getting it when you're 81 is one thing....dying from it at her age is just wrong.

There is no cure because there is no one "cancer". Some are very treatable now, some not so much. My father is an oncologist (retired), I got my MS degree doing cancer research in pharmacology. When I was a kid ('60s and '70s) the word "cancer" was virtually synonymous with "death sentence". Things have come a very long way since then.

I got my MS degree doing cancer research in pharmacology

That explains a whole lot   ;)

When I was a kid ('60s and '70s) the word "cancer" was virtually synonymous with "death sentence". Things have come a very long way since then.

No kidding.

Mrs P and I had our first real brush with cancer this summer. Her brother in-law was complaining about back pain, but mostly dealing with it. Woke up one morning to a nose bleed that wouldn't stop. Went to local (rural) ER. As soon as the blood test was back he was rushed to the City. Diagnosis was prostate cancer that has spread to his bones. Prognosis grim ("days). Two months later he's still with us, after a round of chemo and a round of radiation, and he's at home, mowing the lawn etc. Not sure how long he has, but the docs are now talking "years." Years ago "days" meant days, or even hours. Not today. People gripe about Big Pharma all the time (people I know do, at least), until those expensive drugs save your life....

That explains a whole lot   ;)

No kidding.

Mrs P and I had our first real brush with cancer this summer. Her brother in-law was complaining about back pain, but mostly dealing with it. Woke up one morning to a nose bleed that wouldn't stop. Went to local (rural) ER. As soon as the blood test was back he was rushed to the City. Diagnosis was prostate cancer that has spread to his bones. Prognosis grim ("days). Two months later he's still with us, after a round of chemo and a round of radiation, and he's at home, mowing the lawn etc. Not sure how long he has, but the docs are now talking "years." Years ago "days" meant days, or even hours. Not today. People gripe about Big Pharma all the time (people I know do, at least), until those expensive drugs save your life....

Pods.... similar thing with my father.   My father played in softball leagues his entire life and had a huge scrape/cut on his elbow that was really not healing all that well.  Went to the Dr and they wanted to do blood tests since he had not seen the Dr in a very long time.   Blood work came back and it was prostate cancer... it had literally spread into his bones and throughout his lymph nodes.  

At that point the Dr's basically told us 6 months to a year... he lasted two but it was hard fight and something that sticks with you (me and the family).  Went from being healthy to the grave so quickly.  Cancer sucks...

As Jack said... people complain about big Pharma but the research and development of drugs at least gives people a fighting chance, and in some cases, a chance to live.   I work with most of the big Pharma companies on the research and development side and they are making headway... 

@murraycraven

Sorry to hear that buddy. Prostate cancer is beatable these days if you get to it early, as are many cancers. Look at breast cancer. Prior to Herceptin (Trastuzumab) women with that type of breast cancer had very poor outcomes. Now they almost all survive. That one drug has literally changed the lives of thousands of women and their families. 

Absolutely pods.... My dad was an old school West philly guy that refused to go to the Dr unless 'something was obviously wrong'... He was a very quiet guy but over the 2 years of his diagnosis we talked a lot... I forced him too frankly. He score there were no symptoms...

I get checked twice a year now knowing that my chance of getting it is that much greater. Like I said cancer sucks but there have been great leaps forward as you mentioned.

Archived