Stanley Cup Finals Rangers and Kings

yave1964

Who will win  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you take in the series

• Rangers
    • Kings

I wonder if you have watched the game since 1967 like me?  Well?  How long have you been a fan of the game?

The better question is how many years did I pl

I am wondering how the Rangers will win a game in this series.

Henry is going to have to steal two games. That said, the Kings could have lost by not one but two shg in the first game. Anything can happen. Truthfully, if NYR can get one win out of LA, they can make a go of it (IMO). Playing in MSG is very daunting. Say what you want about NYC, but even just going to the arena is a carnival. I some how missed that LA had the better record (home ice advantage). That really is going to be the difference in my mind and thus if NYR can get one win out of LA, they might have a shot. Other wise siah nara (sp).

Truthfully, if NYR can get one win out of LA, they can make a go of it (IMO).

Fork. 

Two games in a row and had the lead in both only to lose  both in OT. I don't really want to say its done, but I think it is. A split in NY puts La at 3-1 (and I think its certainly feasible). I think Henrique was average this game. The one goal where he is literally 10 feet out of the net is very egregious in my mind and I think was a game changer. 

@MadDevil

Hideous. Unfortunately this type of crap is getting worse, maybe I'm just noticing it more but this year's playoffs seem to have set new standards for acting skills. The Rags-Habs series was one of the worst flopping displays I've seen outside of a soccer pitch, both teams were guilty of douchebaggery of the highest order.

I honestly wish the league reviewed that kind of stuff the way it reviews illegal/dangerous hits. One game suspension for the phantom head snap sounds about right. Nope, I'm not joking.

I honestly wish the league reviewed that kind of stuff the way it reviews illegal/dangerous hits. One game suspension for the phantom head snap sounds about right. Nope, I'm not joking.

There is supposed to be a suspension (someone else mentioned its in the new CBA) levied for players that have 3 or more diving penalties. The problem is the officials don't call it like they should. I am not sure, but I don't think a single player was assessed a suspension this past season. I find it difficult to believe that in 82 games, not a single player flopped 3 times or more and was appropriately called for it (the essential part of the equation). 

Edited by Vanflyer

Rangers in the hole for sure....however, and I don't have ANY real logical reason for it....it just seems to me that despite the Kings being a very good team, have Quick in net, and despite LA having that 2-0 lead, I just get this sneaking suspicion that NY is still in this series.

Yes, I know, madness, but the Rangers have played throughout these entire playoffs in such a way that people have written them off before, only to have them come back and win the series.

Opportunistic is what I would call them.

Problem is, the Kings are quite a step above the Flyers, Penguins, and Canadiens as far as disciplined and defensive minded teams, therefore, any comebacks from a 2-0 deficit will have to border on miraculous to come about.

Still though, even in the first two games of these Finals, the Rangers DID have pretty good leads, starting their games out really well, and for whatever reason (whether it was the Rangers 'letting up' or the Kings simply 'turning it up) they lost those leads, then of course, go on to lose both games in OT sessions.

But even in losing their leads, the Rangers continue to play.

I guess that's why I feel NY is still in this.

Kings are in the driver's seat for sure, but if the Rangers can win this next Game 3 tonight, I'd say we have a series again.

Of course, they'd have to duplicate that feat again for Game 4.

But if NY can just play like they did in the opening two games (sans allowing the Kings back in), winning two at home is quite doable for them.

Boy, if there were a time for a guy like Rick Nash, Marty St. Louis, or Brad Richards to turn it up, NOW would be the time...

The Rangers being down 3 games to 0 now pretty much ends any hope of them coming back and winning the Cup. I was hoping for a better result and better play by the Rangers, but Quick and the boys are just a notch above them right now. Before the Finals started I predicted the Kings in 7 games, now I think they get the job done in 5 games.

This series reminds me of the year the Caps went to the Cup against the Red Wings.  You know they aren't going to win, shouldn't even be there in the first place, and you get a crap Cup as a result.

The problem is, the Top 5 teams in the west would have done this to anyone but Boston in the east. West teams are just better in general and it is not even close. Boston of course ran into their Kryptonite.

Rangers fell just a bit further down the spiral and now, even in my mind, I have to say the Rangers are done.

I suppose they can possibly win one game....or even two in a row to cut this to a 3-2 deficit....but asking them to win 4 in a row for the Cup against the Kings? No....that isn't happening.

The Kings are indeed the better overall team, but I can't help but think how different this series would have been if a guy like Rick Nash would have done more than what he has.

Let's face it, Lundquist and the defense, for the most part, DID their jobs.  Other players on the forward lines probably could have played an overall better game, but many chipped in, and in some cases throughout the playoffs leading up to the Finals, flat out carried their weight....but where was Rick Nash in all this?

Yup, the guy whom the Rangers basically changed the make up of their roster for.....invisible...

I don't agree with blowhard Mike Milbury too often (almost never in fact), but I did agree on something he said, though obvious it may be:  Rick Nash needs to attack the net, drive to the net, and make his own space going towards the net, as being a perimeter player and trying to take shots from the sides simply won't get it done for him.

That says Nash is not fully  utilizing his physical abilities for whatever reason, and in turn, the Rangers are not getting everything they could have from arguably their 'biggest' piece on the skating lines.

Maybe this is who Rick Nash really is. Maybe it's why when he was in Columbus, despite having some good years, he never could really be "the guy" to carry that club to bigger and better things, and perhaps why, after he left, Columbus, started to play a better overall team game.

All speculative of course, but really makes one wonder....and the Rangers will have to figure this out in the coming seasons because Nash, for better or worse, is now a Ranger for the foreseeable future.

But back to this series, yea, looks like the Kings will pull a Blackhawks and win their 2nd Cup in 3 seasons.....and they really do deserve it.

Just a bit premature, but I am going to say "Great season" to the NY Rangers and congratulate the Kings now.............I wouldn't mind being completely wrong on this if the Rangers somehow CAN win four in a row and make us all look like idiots........BUUUUTTTT, as I said, I really don't think that is happening.... ^_^

Rangers fell just a bit further down the spiral and now, even in my mind, I have to say the Rangers are done.

I suppose they can possibly win one game....or even two in a row to cut this to a 3-2 deficit....but asking them to win 4 in a row for the Cup against the Kings? No....that isn't happening.

The Kings are indeed the better overall team, but I can't help but think how different this series would have been if a guy like Rick Nash would have done more than what he has.

Let's face it, Lundquist and the defense, for the most part, DID their jobs.  Other players on the forward lines probably could have played an overall better game, but many chipped in, and in some cases throughout the playoffs leading up to the Finals, flat out carried their weight....but where was Rick Nash in all this?

Yup, the guy whom the Rangers basically changed the make up of their roster for.....invisible...

I don't agree with blowhard Mike Milbury too often (almost never in fact), but I did agree on something he said, though obvious it may be:  Rick Nash needs to attack the net, drive to the net, and make his own space going towards the net, as being a perimeter player and trying to take shots from the sides simply won't get it done for him.

That says Nash is not fully  utilizing his physical abilities for whatever reason, and in turn, the Rangers are not getting everything they could have from arguably their 'biggest' piece on the skating lines.

Maybe this is who Rick Nash really is. Maybe it's why when he was in Columbus, despite having some good years, he never could really be "the guy" to carry that club to bigger and better things, and perhaps why, after he left, Columbus, started to play a better overall team game.

All speculative of course, but really makes one wonder....and the Rangers will have to figure this out in the coming seasons because Nash, for better or worse, is now a Ranger for the foreseeable future.

But back to this series, yea, looks like the Kings will pull a Blackhawks and win their 2nd Cup in 3 seasons.....and they really do deserve it.

Just a bit premature, but I am going to say "Great season" to the NY Rangers and congratulate the Kings now.............I wouldn't mind being completely wrong on this if the Rangers somehow CAN win four in a row and make us all look like idiots........BUUUUTTTT, as I said, I really don't think that is happening.... ^_^

That is exactly who he is. He has INCREDIBLE talent. Big guy, skates beautifully, great hands and good hockey sense. With Maximum effort, he could be the best player in the league.

Once in awhile, he decides to take over a game, and it is beautiful to watch. Dominant. The problem is, it happens rarely. Very rarely.

That is exactly who he is. He has INCREDIBLE talent. Big guy, skates beautifully, great hands and good hockey sense. With Maximum effort, he could be the best player in the league.

Once in awhile, he decides to take over a game, and it is beautiful to watch. Dominant. The problem is, it happens rarely. Very rarely.

Well, JoeT, if that really is the case, then the Rangers have a big problem moving forward.

If Nash were a 'peripheral' type guy on the team, perhaps not so much, but he clearly is one of the players the team relies on to make things work on the ice.

I mean, you just don't go and make significant changes to a roster for a guy, then that guy doesn't perform when it comes down to it.....just-doesn't-work.

And even if the Rangers themselves realize that...is there anyone that would take Nash off their hands without the Rangers throwing in some other good players, eating the majority of his salary, or just flat out trading him away for practically nothing?

As I said....big problem for NY if they can't get Mr. Nash to perform....and NOT just in the regular season.

The problem is, the Top 5 teams in the west would have done this to anyone but Boston in the east. West teams are just better in general and it is not even close. Boston of course ran into their Kryptonite.

The West is better, I definitely agree there, but I don't think everyone in the top 5 is capable of this kind of dominance. I'd reserve that for probably just Chicago and LA. Nor do I think Boston is the only team that can compete with the West. I'm not gonna look through every team's record during the regular season, but looking real quick at Pitts season, they had a winning record against the West. Tampa probably at one point, but they weren't playing at the same level of play all year.

The Rangers are totally outclassed though. They don't even belong in the Cup imo. Total fluke if you ask me.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

I agree with you, but I will say I've always wondered what would happen to him if he was with a better organization. Like one that was legitimately successful, at least recently. If Carter is killing it in LA right now, it makes me wonder what Nash would do in a similar situation.

This Final is eerily similar to 2012 so far. The Kings won the first two games in OT (the post Kovalchuk hit late in regulation, and Fayne fanning on an open net will haunt me for a long time). Then they had a shutout in Game 3. I don't know if the Rangers have it in them to extend this much longer. If they win Wednesday I just don't see the Kings losing at home in Game 5.

Edited by MadDevil

I wonder if the Rangers have a come back in them?

Seems like until game 5 the Kings got every break.

The games have been close except for game 3.

I dunno , seems like the series could have a vastly different complexion .

A well deserved congrats to both teams.

LA, obviously for winning the Stanley Cup...the Rangers for winning the Eastern crown and probably stealing away a series (Pitt) that, on paper, and in being down 3-1, they probably should have lost.

Still they found a way...

Would have liked to have seen MSL and Brad Richards raise another Cup together, but well, just wasn't their time. Marty has another year left on his contract, he and the team can try to make a go of it again in 2014-15.

That Rick Nash though.........**shiver**....

Kings: no fluke Champion here. They were legit first time they won it, legit now, and barring some worn down bodies and a major SC hangover, seem legit for next year as well.

The Rangers will probably continue the "Vignault Remodel" in New York as any remaining pieces of the former Tortorella style and players will most likely be washed away and more guys who can play the style Vignault put in Vancouver previously are brought in....i.e. more pure skaters and scorers with a pinch of asshat.

In the case of a guy like Alex Burrows, skating, scoring and LOTS of asshat.... ;)

Glad the Finals are over now, as much as I love hockey.

Looking forward to all the teams off seasons, the draft, and what other activities go with that as well.

I can now settle in with my 2nd love (MLB baseball) while I wait for the coming of the season in October!

Oh, and Gnome Bettman getting booed presenting the Conn Smythe and the Stanley Cup? Classic......

Thank you Kings for knocking the Rangers out. Now the Rangers lose two first round picks for MSL, and have nothing to show for it. And while I do respect him, I have to admit I took a little pleasure in Lundqvist's misery. I think he knew that might be his best shot at the Cup for awhile. I don't see the stars aligning again like they did this year for the Rangers.

As for the Kings, nothing but respect towards that organization. It sucked losing to them back in 2012, but over the last few years they've been the best team in the league. They remind me a lot of the Devils in their glory years, so I can't help but respect them. The scary thing is they're not done. I could easily see them back in the Final again next year.

I felt like the series was a lot closer than a 5 game thrashing, 2 of the games were 2 OT and a third was OT, the Kings really only dominated one game from pillar to post. 

I hate to say it but respect to the Rangers they were game and the games were entertaining... not as entertaining as the 'hawks / kings  but they were still fun hockey games.

how many more titles will this Kings team rack up ? They are all in there prime not  one player   over 35, they're big , play heavy, have enough speed.   I think they're good with the salary cap too Like they might not have to worry about buying out Mike Richards.

wow

I felt like the series was a lot closer than a 5 game thrashing, 2 of the games were 2 OT and a third was OT, the Kings really only dominated one game from pillar to post. 

I hate to say it but respect to the Rangers they were game and the games were entertaining... not as entertaining as the 'hawks / kings  but they were still fun hockey games.

how many more titles will this Kings team rack up ? They are all in there prime not  one player   over 35, they're big , play heavy, have enough speed.   I think they're good with the salary cap too Like they might not have to worry about buying out Mike Richards.

wow

^^

This!

I felt that way too. Usually, you see a 4-1 series win for a team and you go, "oh, the  losing team was never in it", but that certainly was not the case, IMO, in this series.

Rangers had plenty chances to win more than just one of the games.

And I also agree the series, as a whole, was VERY entertaining.

Rangers though, found out what the Devils found out after NY and NJ faced off for the right to play LA two years ago: that, yes, the Kings are that damned good! 

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

A few facts about getting your name on Lord Stanley. To get your name the Cup, you need to do one of 2 things. Play 40 regular season games or appear in one game in the finals. If you fail to do that, the team in question can request that a certain name be added, but they cannot exceed their limit of 52 names....so if they request a number of extra players, perhaps some executives get left off.

I'm really curious if anyone has any opinions on the two 'really' blown calls that IMO had a major effect on the series.

In game 2, that non-interference call was pretty poor resulting in a goal that really shifted momentum.

In game 5, that reverse tripping penalty also was poor resulting in a power play goal for the Kings.

All throughout the Montreal/New York series there was also a lot of horrible officiating.

IMO, those two calls made a major impact on the series outcome. Imagine if going into game 5 it was 2-2 with the Rangers clinging to that lead in game 5 in the 3rd.

Never know...could have been 3-2 Rangers and might have easily gone to game 7.

I don't want instant replay, but I would rather have that then momentum changing situations. I hate to see the refs lose the game for any team.

I'm really curious if anyone has any opinions on the two 'really' blown calls that IMO had a major effect on the series.

Yes

I am disappointed a bad call significantly affected the outcome.

Still think LA would have taken it, but officiating was exposed this postseason.