Richards out of LA?!

I think it was here just last week that somebody mentioned LA doesn't seem to know what to do with him? I saw this over the weekend too: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/28/mike-richards-buyout-candidate/

I know this his offensive numbers have gone down since leaving, but I didn't know how much until I looked. They really have dropped off a lot since his time here. The coach supposedly isn't too high on him, but is he playing that much less? I can't believe how in love with Carter they are. Richards, as much as his personality gets on my nerves, is a good two-way player. That's so much more valuable than a Carter type imo. I know he's making a lot of money, but give me Richards over Carter any day.

What's even weirder is they were so high on him during their previous Cup run.

One place I heard he might land is Pitts, but it's all just rumors right now.

@fanaticV3.0

I've actually heard Sutter say he's an important player on his team and that he counts on him in many different situations. That doesn't mean they won't buy him out, I think most fans figured Richards body would wear out before that deal ended. I'd be somewhat surprised if they did, but certainly not shocked.

I can't believe how in love with Carter they are.

Carters game has evolved. He is playing 200ft now, playing in the dirty areas, etc and Producing. He is their second leading scorer in regular season and second leading scorer in the playoffs. Why would they not love him? You would love him if he played that way for the Flyers. 

Richards, as much as his personality gets on my nerves, is a good two-way player. That's so much more valuable than a Carter type imo. I know he's making a lot of money, but give me Richards over Carter any day.

Carter is playing two-ways these days (actually always has, but just much more effective now). Also playing on the PK. The reality is that with Kopitar, Carter, and Stoll (who is just as effective at two way play and plays the same minutes as Richards), Richards is kind of listing in the wind. His cap hit is probably what chaffs most people. You can't pay near 6M for a nice third line two way player (which is what Richards has become on the LA squad). If it was 3.5-4m, nobody would care, but 5.75 until 2019-2020 is a hard pill to swallow. Especially since it appears that Richards all out play has taken its toll on his effectiveness / body. 

@fanaticV3.0

I've actually heard Sutter say he's an important player on his team and that he counts on him in many different situations. That doesn't mean they won't buy him out, I think most fans figured Richards body would wear out before that deal ended. I'd be somewhat surprised if they did, but certainly not shocked.

Sounds like a bunch of PR bullshit. He's playing and producing less. If the coach thought that highly of him, he wouldn't be 14th on the team in ice time right now.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

Richards' ice time vs. the Black Hawks

Game 1:  18:07

Game 2:  16:29

Game 3:  13:17

Game 4:  10:30

Game 5:  16:13

Game 6:  13:03

Game 7:  15:06

The 18 minutes isn't concerning, but the 16 is pushing it and the 10 and 13 are ridiculous.  I haven't watched closely enough, but is he playing the 3rd or 4th line?  At a $5.75M cap hit, I might buy the 3rd/4th line guy out if I can't move him.

That doesn't mean they won't buy him out, I think most fans figured Richards body would wear out before that deal ended. I'd be somewhat surprised if they did, but certainly not shocked.

I think Richards has allot to offer still. But not 5.75M a year to offer for another 5 years. Not sure he has the wheels still, but Nashville could use a player like him and he knows lavy's system. He would be a good leader for the forward group. I haven't looked at their centre situation, so don't know if its feasible. Columbus also comes to mind. 

Sounds like a bunch of PR bullshit. He's playing and producing less.

Yeah, I read it that way, too.   I read it as a coach trying not to undermine/insult his player right in the middle of a Cup run.

I think Richards has allot to offer still. But not 5.75M a year to offer for another 5 years. Not sure he has the wheels still, but Nashville could use a player like him and he knows lavy's system. He would be a good leader for the forward group. I haven't looked at their centre situation, so don't know if its feasible. Columbus also comes to mind. 

The Flyers could also use a center.  We're down to only 17 of them.

You really think Sutter gives a rats arse about PR?

Not PR, per se, but I don't think Sutter would go out of his way with "yeah, the dude sucks for $5.75 but for that price I can't sit him."  So, "yeah, his ATOI is down, but those minutes he plays are very important minutes."  

The 18 minutes isn't concerning, but the 16 is pushing it and the 10 and 13 are ridiculous.  I haven't watched closely enough, but is he playing the 3rd or 4th line?  At a $5.75M cap hit, I might buy the 3rd/4th line guy out if I can't move him.

I think they just don't know where to play him. The Suter stuff is a bunch of PR bs, just to keep the wolves at bay. The only time I recall hearing Richards name the last three games was when he was killing a penalty or tandem with Carter on 4-on-4 play (rarely). 

To your point about minutes, go look at Stolls minutes the last 5 games. That will tell you everything you need to know. While Ritchie still is effective in the circle, Stoll is BETTER and has taken all the important draws for LA this playoffs. and less of a liability defensively. Thus he was getting more minutes under Suter. You have Kopitar / Carter / Stoll and then you have 5.75m Richards. While richards produces more than Stoll, Stoll has equal to better speed, takes ALL the important faceoffs (almost 2-1 vs Richards in the playoffs), is bigger 6'1 213, plays pk, second on the team in hits behind Brown (almost 3-1 to richards). And makes 3.25m a year. 

I guess what I am saying, is that the Kings don't need another Stoll. Where does that leave Richards?? For me, looking for a new zip code. 

Carters game has evolved. He is playing 200ft now, playing in the dirty areas, etc and Producing. He is their second leading scorer in regular season and second leading scorer in the playoffs. Why would they not love him? You would love him if he played that way for the Flyers. 

Carter is playing two-ways these days (actually always has, but just much more effective now). Also playing on the PK. The reality is that with Kopitar, Carter, and Stoll (who is just as effective at two way play and plays the same minutes as Richards), Richards is kind of listing in the wind. His cap hit is probably what chaffs most people. You can't pay near 6M for a nice third line two way player (which is what Richards has become on the LA squad). If it was 3.5-4m, nobody would care, but 5.75 until 2019-2020 is a hard pill to swallow. Especially since it appears that Richards all out play has taken its toll on his effectiveness / body. 

Richards is and always will be a better defensive player than Carter. And despite the fact that offense if Carter's forte, Richards isn't that much worse off than Carter. Technically he isn't worse off. He's got 466 career points to Carter's 460.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470617

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470604

If you look at their stats as Kings, it's not like Carter is dropping 70 a year and Richards 30. Their points are close almost every year. The difference is negligible. Based on that, if I had to choose, I pick the better all-around player (Richards).

Edit: I know Carter is having a good POs, but that is pretty much the only category he's significantly better than Richards offensively. I will say though that for all those PO points this year, Carter has no GWG.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

I think he's playing on the third line. As much as I didn't like the "poor little me" act when he was here (especially towards the end), I don't see how his role is diminishing with that team, especially since they were head-over-heels for him during their previous Cup run.

Yeah, I read it that way, too.   I read it as a coach trying not to undermine/insult his player right in the middle of a Cup run.

Yeah. He's never going to say something like, "Well Mike isn't that important of a player, so that's why he's playing less" EVER let alone during a Cup run.

The Flyers could also use a center.  We're down to only 17 of them.

He makes too much money and we do have 17 centers, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be thinking about it if I was running the team. Him and Couturier might not set the world on fire offensively, but behind Giroux, that would be two lines that would be hard to play against.

If you look at their stats as Kings, it's not like Carter is dropping 70 a year and Richards 30. Their points are close almost every year. The difference is negligible. Based on that, if I had to choose, I pick the better all-around player (Richards).

Slice the bread any way you want to. I am not paying any player 5.75m a year as a forward to score 40 pts a year and be a two-way player (I don't care what your name is). 

I like Richards and he is a nice player. But it looks as if he is odd man out in LA and also on a decline. Perhaps its because they do not have a role for him there, who knows. 

As for Carter, you can not take a blind eye to look at his progression at 200 ft of the ice. 26 goals in 48 games last year. Led the team in GWG. Second on the team in GWG this year behind Kopitar. As a GM, I have no qualms paying 5.25 for that production and especially given his exceptional play this post-season in all areas of the ice. 

You really think a coach is going to be honest in the middle of a PO run about a player who's role as decreased? Get a clue.

Sutter? Ya I could see him saying anything..

Oh and GFY. (just thought I'd throw some fanatic conversation in)

Sutter? Ya I could see him saying anything..

Oh and GFY. (just thought I'd throw some fanatic conversation in)

No coach starts a controversy with one of his own players during a Cup run. I would say it's stupid to believe that, but we both know you don't even think it yourself. You're talking out of your ass because you would rather stand your ground on a stupid statement than concede a point to me.

@fanaticV3.0

What controversy? I believe Sutter when I heard him say Richards was an important player to him in many different situations. I doubt any of those situations involve goalscoring, but he has plenty of others adept at that. I just don't think Sutter is much of a PC guy and basically calls it like it is.