Craig Buttons draft list

flyercanuck

Button likes to be controversial when it comes to his lists. He tends to go "out there" on some picks, but has a pretty good idea whats going on as well. He picked Philly to take Morin last year when few had him rated that high. So this year he has Sanheim all the way up at #8 (he did have a great last half of the season) Vlad Kamenev at 12, Ritchie at 16, Fabbri at 28, Virtanen all the way down at 32, McKeown at 51. Wow!

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

@fishbulb

If Nick Ritchie fell to 16 I'd be trying to move up one. 6'2" 230 lb 18 year old 39 goal scorer (on a crap team where everyone was trying to shut him down) 137 pims. The beast from the Petes would look awful nice on Girouxs left wing in a year or so.

@ flyercanuck

Wow.. you aren't kidding.  That kid is huge.  Like most 'power forwards' he's sure to take a few years to develop, but I'm sure G would still be here by then. He certainly is impressive!

The impressive thing imo is that most of those goals were scored 'on his own'... not tap ins or beauty feeds from other star players.  Sure NHL goalies would stop many of those, but hopefully his shot would improve as he made the jump to the NHL as well.

The other cool thing is he isn't scoring with "OHL dangles" that don't work in the NHL (paging B. Schenn)... while impressive to see at times, many of those moves you see in juniors don't transfer to the NHL.

Edited by fishbulb

17. Brayden Point 24 Moose Jaw (WHL) Mar. 13/96 C R 5'10/160 72 36 55 91

5'10"  doesn't quite fit the desired sized forwards Hextall has interest for, and what is with the -27 ?

No way is Brayden Point the Flyers first pick.

If Nick Ritchie fell to 16 I'd be trying to move up one. 6'2" 230 lb 18 year old 39 goal scorer (on a crap team where everyone was trying to shut him down) 137 pims. The beast from the Petes would look awful nice on Girouxs left wing in a year or so.

I haven't followed Jr much since moving to where I am now. But watching him, it looks like Lindros lite, 2.0. I would sign up for that too. The reason I asked about his skating is that at 6'2 / 230, you don't need to wait for him to physically mature. He is ready, physically. If he can skate and pick up the pace, wow. I would move up too if I could. Who is the cornell guy always dishing to him and vice versa? He looks like a nice player as well. 

If Nick Ritchie falls to the Wings I will shout for joy, love the kids combination of size and scoring technique. The guy I have been hoping they get is Dylan Larkin who will be playing this fall for the University of Michigan and old Red Berenson. Projections have him as a Ryan Callahan type, a gritty heart and soul type and being from Detroit I think he would be a perfect fit.

But if Button is right and Ritchie falls that far, as much as I love Larkin we gotta take Ritchie. He is a special type of power forward who the Wings desperately need.