Flyers' offseason game plan - TSN

brelic

i have never heard of this offer either, i was following the line of thought/logic from bobbyclarkefan .  which said he turned down 4.5 x 5...

I can totally see Chiarelli making sure if he was going to give up assets making sure he "got his man" especially after the whole Iginla to the Bruins... no wait that's Rejean Shero's music, what's he doing here Edzo !?! business from the year before.

and . there is no NMC with AMac so ... he can be traded at some point if he turns out to be not what everyone hopes, which is I'm not sure.  I expect really good things from that contract, so to me that means I need to not notice him until he does something awesome , like 93% of the time he is on the ice.

Its much to do about nothing. Blowing smoke is all. Man, not even summer yet and the crap rumors / innuendo is already flying. 

In that spirit- LETS GO RANGERS!!! 

Yeah the rumored deal he turned down was from the Isles. Never heard anything on Boston except they were targeting him in a trade but chose to go with Mezz instead...how true any of that is i'm not sure.

No, the Bruins wanted MacDonald but NYI turned down their trade offer and the Flyers got him. The media here sort of complained that the Isles never gave the Bruins a chance to beat the Flyers offer. So then they traded for Meszaros.

Never heard about the Bruins offering anything to AMac.   Since he was on the Isles they would have had to trade for him before any deal was discussed so not sure that makes much sense - he was not a UFA until after the season.  He did not have a NMC w/ the Isles so they Isles could have shipped him anywhere w/out his consent.  However, I do know that the Isles offerend him a 4 yr/16M deal that he turned down.

Correct. The Bruins talked with Islanders and had a conversation with AMac and his agent before hand and the deal was contingent on getting AMac signed to an extension. When he and his agent rejected the Bruins offer, that's when they backed out. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16

I'll have to search and find the article again, but yes, the Bruins were in on MacDonald and the Islanders let Chiarelli talk to his agent. When the contract offer was put out there and AMac and his agent rejected it, that's when the Bruins pulled out.

Its much to do about nothing. Blowing smoke is all. Man, not even summer yet and the crap rumors / innuendo is already flying. 

In that spirit- LETS GO RANGERS!!! 

Trade Vinny for this guy....

tumblr_mkk6r1KSWm1rp50moo1_r1_1280_mediu

I'll have to search and find the article again, but yes, the Bruins were in on MacDonald and the Islanders let Chiarelli talk to his agent. When the contract offer was put out there and AMac and his agent rejected it, that's when the Bruins pulled out.

I never saw anything about that. Here is what was reported in the Boston Globe:

The Flyers acquired the shift-eating left-shot defenseman from the Islanders Tuesday for a 2014 third-rounder, a 2015 second-round pick, and AHLer Matt Mangene, a three-year player at the University of Maine.

The Bruins declined to send the Islanders the first-rounder they wanted. But the Bruins did not receive an opportunity to improve upon Philadelphia’s package, according to a team source. It’s possible the Bruins could have sent the Islanders better assets than the ones they received from the Flyers.

From that it sounds like the only stumbling block was what Boston offered in trade.

I wonder how much of our problem with puck possession is how we put the team together. It is through trade more than draft. The parts didn't grow up together.

Yup. Thats why Canadien and USA olympic teams suck. My point being it has nothing to do with trade or draft. I get your point about cohesiveness, but that starts with coaching. I am not putting Chief under the bus here, but just saying. 

Yup. Thats why Canadien and USA olympic teams suck. My point being it has nothing to do with trade or draft. I get your point about cohesiveness, but that starts with coaching. I am not putting Chief under the bus here, but just saying. 

The Rangers certainly did NOT look like they do now before Vigneault arrived.

Of note, reading back on what I posted, yep, dropped the ball big time by not reporting that the Bruins had permission to talk to AMac's agent. What I wrote initially definitely looks wonky.

since you used the word "wonky" all is forgiven

Van:

Good to hear from you. I hope our coach stays around for a while. Berube seems to command the respect of his players. Hopefully our GM sees things through a more "developmental" prism.

Best,

Howie

Just for the shock factor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :blink:

tumblr_mkk6r1KSWm1rp50moo1_r1_1280_mediu

So did you schitt your pants with this sight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????

Reported.

Howdy:

I wonder how much of our problem with puck possession is how we put the team together. It is through trade more than draft. The parts didn't grow up together.

Howie

Hi Howie,

I have thought about this a little and it has some merit. Though I think the core group has been together , more or less, for 3 years. That is not taking into account VLC being crammed in there . So there should be a level of familiarity by now.

I also think the Flyers should really practice passing and taking passes on the move, when I watch the Rangers they are tape to tape all over the ice and at top speed. They appear to have 9 or 11 forwards that have really great puck handling skills, now I know Boyle, Dorssett , Haglund and the like weren't wizards with the puck when Fonzi was coaching them but they look highly skilled now.

Hand -eye coordination drills, something, the Rangers do have good foot speed but their skill level makes them appear even faster.

I think he will be the leader on TOI again which is a concern.   Nice player, but as you stated, not a big fan of the contract.  I also thought he was pretty bad in the Rangers series but I guess time will tell if this was a good signing or not.   Honestly, I know most folks think he would have gotten the same contract on the open market but I am not so sure about that.

The one good takeaway is that Homer forgot ( ;) ) to add in the NMC so maybe if it does not pan out he could be moved. 

I hope the keep Schenn too but I just have this sneaking suspicion the Flyers are higher on VLC and will chalk last year up to being injured and not getting a chance to play Center for the entire season.   The whole VLC thing is a mess and they should have never signed him to begin with but that is in the past.   Maybe a Team takes him in a trade but I would imagine the Flyers will hacve to eat salary.  

Hextall has some work to do so it should be an interesting offseason. Maybe the conspiracy theorists around these parts are right and we trade him back to Tampa for Carle :ph34r:  

I am really going to hate the VLC deal if it results in the Flyers needing to trade Brayden Schenn.

Would love to see Hextall find a way to unload both VLC and Hartnell. There wil be teams who need to come up to the salary floor. Maybe that will give Hextall some options.

Mojo:

Berube echoes your thinking when he talks about speed being more than skating; it is acting instinctively.  When I watch Detroit or LA, you see a teams that look like seamless wholes.  That is probably talent. But you are on point--coaching has something to do with it.

Best,

Howie

Hi Howie,

I have thought about this a little and it has some merit. Though I think the core group has been together , more or less, for 3 years. That is not taking into account VLC being crammed in there . So there should be a level of familiarity by now.

I also think the Flyers should really practice passing and taking passes on the move, when I watch the Rangers they are tape to tape all over the ice and at top speed. They appear to have 9 or 11 forwards that have really great puck handling skills, now I know Boyle, Dorssett , Haglund and the like weren't wizards with the puck when Fonzi was coaching them but they look highly skilled now.

Hand -eye coordination drills, something, the Rangers do have good foot speed but their skill level makes them appear even faster.

Van:

Good to hear from you. I hope our coach stays around for a while. Berube seems to command the respect of his players. Hopefully our GM sees things through a more "developmental" prism.

Best,

Howie

Same to you Howie (you seem to be amiss from here- hope things are okay in your land). 

I agree with both points. I think Hextall will do fine- as long as he is not a puppet like his predecessors. 

Any info if the Flyers are in on this guy? It's from TSN

McKenzie: And there's another free agent we should keep our eye on who most people haven't heard of: a 22-year-old Czech by the name of Jiri Sekac. He went through the NHL Drafts and never got picked up. He was once cut by the Peterborough Petes but he had a strong year in the KHL playing for the Prague team. Right now he has more than a dozen firm offers on a max entry-level deal for two years. He's expected over the next couple of days to make up his mind as to which team. This is a guy who is in great demand. He's a 6'2, 190 pound left winger who many believe is ready to step in NHL-ready.

Any info if the Flyers are in on this guy? It's from TSNMcKenzie: And there's another free agent we should keep our eye on who most people haven't heard of: a 22-year-old Czech by the name of Jiri Sekac. He went through the NHL Drafts and never got picked up. He was once cut by the Peterborough Petes but he had a strong year in the KHL playing for the Prague team. Right now he has more than a dozen firm offers on a max entry-level deal for two years. He's expected over the next couple of days to make up his mind as to which team. This is a guy who is in great demand. He's a 6'2, 190 pound left winger who many believe is ready to step in NHL-ready.

Hard to say Flyers just missed out 3 key players they could have signed only to sign one guy to just an AHL deal......meh don't know what the phuck Hexy is doing? Sleep at the wheel?????

So get rid of VLC, even pay part of his salary per year just to get a team to take him off our hands....Then we go out and get Handzus to fill the role? HUH??? I agree let VLC go but let a young gun take his spot. Why move Schenn to the wing.... he sucks worse there then he does at center... That lost me right there....

Same to you Howie (you seem to be amiss from here- hope things are okay in your land). 

I agree with both points. I think Hextall will do fine- as long as he is not a puppet like his predecessors. Van

Van:

Thanks for asking. Work has been very hectic and the O and B are out of post-season.  I also don't want to add to discussions on the specific players potentially drafted because I haven't done my homework. As an educator, you have the right to shoot me if I violate that principle (smile).

Best,

Howie