Reading Royals new Flyers ECHL Affiliate

hf101

"We are pleased to announce an ECHL affiliation agreement with the Reading Royals," said Flyers general manager Ron Hextall in a press release. "We're excited to be entering a new era for the Flyers with respect to player development and look forward to working closely with them in a winning environment. The geographic proximity of our minor league affiliations in the Lehigh Valley and Reading will give our coaches and scouting department the best possible platform to monitor, and promote the growth and advancement of our young prospects."          With the Adirondack Phantoms on the move to the Lehigh Valley for this upcoming 2014-15 season, the entire organization now calls Pennsylvania home. Both Reading and Allentown are about 75 minutes via car from Philadelphia.

source

For me, This is cool, all 3 teams now less than an hour away.

@hf101

Agreed that it is great that all teams are close in proximity. I never understood how the Royals were not a Flyers affiliate. In any case, it is great for me as I used to go to Royals games all the time. Now I can hopefully watch some prospects develop. 

• Like 1

It is very cool the Royals and Flyers are now affiliated.   I go to a ton of games each year and I fear it is a matter of time until the Royals are a thing of the past in Reading.   The ticket sales are dismal these days and even for the playoffs they can't sell 1/2 the stadium out...

I hope I am wrong...

It is very cool the Royals and Flyers are now affiliated.   I go to a ton of games each year and I fear it is a matter of time until the Royals are a thing of the past in Reading.   The ticket sales are dismal these days and even for the playoffs they can't sell 1/2 the stadium out...

I hope I am wrong...

I wonder if they'll change their color schemes now the Royals are purple and black right??

Maybe they replace the purple with orange that would be nice with the Flyer colors like the Phantoms have now.

Just really great for the organization to have both clubs near by cutting down on travel for the kids making it easier for last minute recalls.

It is very cool the Royals and Flyers are now affiliated. I go to a ton of games each year and I fear it is a matter of time until the Royals are a thing of the past in Reading. The ticket sales are dismal these days and even for the playoffs they can't sell 1/2 the stadium out...

I hope I am wrong...

'tis the way of the world in the ECHL. Says a former season ticket holder of the long dead Richmond Renegades (when they were the Flyers ECHL farm).

'tis the way of the world in the ECHL. Says a former season ticket holder of the long dead Richmond Renegades (when they were the Flyers ECHL farm).

you right aziz... it seems like every few years teams are changing affiliations and if they dont change they end up folding.

I was at a playoff game the yr they won the Kelley Cup against the Everblades and the place was literally 3 quarters empty...  The Royals have lost a lot of luster in terms of the fanbase for whatever reason over the past few years...

I hope they are successful and I enjoy going but would not be shocked if this was a short term relationship.  A lot of people around the area are excited to have the Phantoms close by so I think some of those fans from the Royals will travel a litter further to watch the AHL.   The ECHL is a lot of fun to watch but most of the kids playing are trying to make it one last time out of Jrs/College, etc...

The ECHL is a lot of fun to watch but most of the kids playing are trying to make it one last time out of Jrs/College, etc...

It's true. One last time, and not likely to make it. I worked at their practice rink when the renegades were still here, skated with them a few times, some of them would stick around in the off-season and play in local tournaments, run dinky little camps, that kind of thing. And they were good hockey players, like as good as the best rec league guys. But that was about it. Semi-talented players who found a way to make a little (little) money playing hockey for a few years before they started selling insurance (nttiawwt). ECHL games are fun to go to, but they aren't impressive games to go to. Sell popcorn and beer to A-league rec games, and the hockey would be as good. Not nearly as many fights, though.

It's true. One last time, and not likely to make it. I worked at their practice rink when the renegades were still here, skated with them a few times, some of them would stick around in the off-season and play in local tournaments, run dinky little camps, that kind of thing. And they were good hockey players, like as good as the best rec league guys. But that was about it. Semi-talented players who found a way to make a little (little) money playing hockey for a few years before they started selling insurance (nttiawwt). ECHL games are fun to go to, but they aren't impressive games to go to. Sell popcorn and beer to A-league rec games, and the hockey would be as good. Not nearly as many fights, though.

Agree w/ everything... I knew a bunch of the former players and they are great guys.   In the end 90% of thise guys are just trying to extend their hockey careers.  

It's true. One last time, and not likely to make it.

Yeah the best guy i ever saw in the ECHL personally was Alex Burrows when he played for Columbia Inferno....and one of the other guys i saw but not really successful was Hugh Jessiman for the opposing team i can't remember who it was.

ECHL play is really sloppy not a lot of skill even my wife noted that and said. It hit home when she noticed it....it had to be obvious. 

I saw kolzig a couple of times when he was with Norfolk. And some enforcer guy who made the Rangers roster for three games. And Tripp Tracey when he was in Richmond. That guy is a WAY better color guy than he was a goalie.

@hf101  This just makes sense on so many levels. It took them awhile, but the Flyers finally got it right. With the soaring prices of travel/gas etc, having all the working parts as close as possible is a perfect scenario.

@hf101  This just makes sense on so many levels. It took them awhile, but the Flyers finally got it right. With the soaring prices of travel/gas etc, having all the working parts as close as possible is a perfect scenario.

You mean it's not part of the "Kings East" strategy?

:ph34r: