Isles acquired rights to Boyle from the Sharks

Sources from Twitter stated that the Islanders acquired the rights to Dan Boyle from the Sharks for a conditional 2015 5th round pick.  It becomes a 4th if Boyle signs.

Yikes.....talk about grasping for straws....do the Isles REALLY feel Boyle will sign with them?

I realize last season may not have been Boyle's best, but honestly, if he intends to keep on playing, I would think some place other than Long Island, who still have a long rebuild ahead would suit him in his final days as an NHL player......that is, if Boyle COULD sign on and have another team take a chance on him for a year or two.

Thing is, if Boyle really is 'washed up', then even if the Isles do sign him, what good does he do them??

I know giving up a 4th/5th round pick for a CHANCE to sign Boyle isn't giving up a ton, but still, it's still only a chance, and hope Boyle has anything left to give...and that he would want to give it with the Isles, and second, those 4th-5th round picks can often turn into a very good bottom six (sometimes top six player) out of nowhere.

I just don't see the sense this makes from the Isles standpoint.

Sharks?

Well, obviously they had no intention of re-signing Boyle, they will retool their defense (among other things), and they will get that later pick to add on to the team at some point.

Nothing lost by San Jose, and really, not a ton lost by the Isles, yet, it is another head scratching move for New York.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

The only thing I can think of is the Isles are trying to make sure they don't give their first rounder to Buffalo and Buffalo wind up with Connor McDavid. They have lots of cap space, maybe they plan on getting several vets to make a push for a lower end playoff spot. Supposedly they are going to make a serious pitch for Vanek come July 1st.

Yikes.....talk about grasping for straws....do the Isles REALLY feel Boyle will sign with them?

I realize last season may not have been Boyle's best, but honestly, if he intends to keep on playing, I would think some place other than Long Island, who still have a long rebuild ahead would suit him in his final days as an NHL player......that is, if Boyle COULD sign on and have another team take a chance on him for a year or two.

Thing is, if Boyle really is 'washed up', then even if the Isles do sign him, what good does he do them??

I know giving up a 4th/5th round pick for a CHANCE to sign Boyle isn't giving up a ton, but still, it's still only a chance, and hope Boyle has anything left to give...and that he would want to give it with the Isles, and second, those 4th-5th round picks can often turn into a very good bottom six (sometimes top six player) out of nowhere.

I just don't see the sense this makes from the Isles standpoint.

Sharks?

Well, obviously they had no intention of re-signing Boyle, they will retool their defense (among other things), and they will get that later pick to add on to the team at some point.

Nothing lost by San Jose, and really, not a ton lost by the Isles, yet, it is another head scratching move for New York.

Yup. Basically a free pick.

On the other hand, Wilson's words seem to indicate doing nothing for defense other than letting the kids play and gain experience to help push along their development. He came out and said they would not make a big UFA move to bring someone in and indicated he wanted to go with the youth and it would be painful for awhile.

Le sigh. My pipe dream is Pavelski for Yandle +

If Boyle signs, the Isles win. If he doesn't, a fifth isn't going to break the franchise.

They may throw a multi-year deal at him including the attraction of playing in Brooklyn at the end of the deal.

That's the only straw I see to clutch at.

If Boyle signs, the Isles win. If he doesn't, a fifth isn't going to break the franchise.

They may throw a multi-year deal at him including the attraction of playing in Brooklyn at the end of the deal.

That's the only straw I see to clutch at.

If Boyle signs with the Isles, after Zidlicky took less than market value to remain in New Jersey, that makes Niskanen and Markov the only two free agent d-men out there. Let the bidding war begin.