Jim Rutherford announced as new Pens GM; Bylsma fired

brelic

he also missed the playoffs ten times now in the 15 he's been the GM? With three losing seasons as GM of the Whalers before then. He doesn't do anything amazing in trades, and has a so-so farm system, with only ONE prospect rated above a C ranking at Hockey's Future.

Legions of Flyer fans allow a smug smile to replace our annual June frown.

Legions of Flyer fans allow a smug smile to replace our annual June frown.

I wouldn't smile too wide... Head coach is what's important. Word is Guerin and Botterill are to learn from Rutherford and hold major sway in the decisions. If they bring in a solid head coach who instills a bit more accountability and grit, the East could be in trouble.

@Polaris922 I'll hang my hat on the fact Rutherford has no clue in the draft, he picked FAR more utter and complete bums than useful NHL players.....AND from a spot about 20 picks in front of where he will pick now. Enjoy that.... :)

Believe me nobody is more disappointed than I am. I've only found solace in the word that he's just a figurehead while they sort out Botterill, Fitzgerald and Guerin underneath him. Even Rutherford has said it will be more by committee than anything else.

@B21

The only problem with that theory is that it also prevented the Pens from getting Trotz, who was likely the best coach available. And I personally would  have no problem with Byslma coaching another team in our division.

Yup.  But I think they were hell bent  on not 'rushing' - even if it cost them Trotz.

One of the interesting comments from Rutherford at his presser announcing DFB's firing:

I have a short list of coaches in mind,” Rutherford said. “The coach will have to adjust to the style of players that we have. With the teams we ultimately have to compete with, we’re going to have to have a coach that can make the proper adjustments during a game, during a period of time in the regular season or during a playoff series.”

This by far has been the one thing that DFB has been criticized for the most, not being able to adjust, period.

I've seen the Caolina farm team play ...they were fast and had good skill all through the line up, they smoked my beloved Bears on the road when I saw them in person, a lot of Sutters on the team...my point is Rutherford has talent stashed in his organization , I think they have had some bad luck with injuries to key guys, when was the last time Jeff Skinner played 50 NHL. Games? I don't think he's a bum, and do think he was a decent hire for the Pens, he doesn't suck .

I think the Paul Maurice angle for coach seems plausible.

Very interesting off season coming up for sure.

So, the Penguins total and complete "change in direction" is:

1).  A  65 year old GM, who spent 20 years with one team..and....

B).  Possibly a head coach with NO head coaching experience at any level...

At the risk of getting slapped, if the Flyers did that, most people--including the very educated Pens fans on this board--would have a frigging field day with it.

It could work out, they could get a great head coach, and the underlings to Rutherford could do very well...but man, this team probably has 2-4 years left to make some noise(given the 7 year window theory).  I'm just not seeing/feeling it with these moves.

So, the Penguins total and complete "change in direction" is:

1).  A  65 year old GM, who spent 20 years with one team..and....

B).  Possibly a head coach with NO head coaching experience at any level...

At the risk of getting slapped, if the Flyers did that, most people--including the very educated Pens fans on this board--would have a frigging field day with it.

It could work out, they could get a great head coach, and the underlings to Rutherford could do very well...but man, this team probably has 2-4 years left to make some noise(given the 7 year window theory).  I'm just not seeing/feeling it with these moves.

when you put it like that...

i can see what you're saying.

i still think Rutherford is an okay hire, he doesn't suck.

when you put it like that...

i can see what you're saying.

i still think Rutherford is an okay hire, he doesn't suck.

I agree..it's not a terrible hire, he doesn't suck.  I think someone said it's a safe hire.  I agree with that.  Just not sure it's what the Pens need right now.  They are painfully close, IMO.  I don't know if him, or Brindy, if hired, get them over the top.

• Like 1

I agree..it's not a terrible hire, he doesn't suck.  I think someone said it's a safe hire.  I agree with that.  Just not sure it's what the Pens need right now.  They are painfully close, IMO.  I don't know if him, or Brindy, if hired, get them over the top.

That was me. ;)

Safe. Not WOW! Not WTF?  Especially with the line of succession that has been set up.

I think the coach matters more than the GM for the Pens.  I've argued all along...the problem for me was not so much the pieces (Shero) as it was the guy putting the puzzle together (Bylsma).

I'll put Brind'Amour in the same category as Tocchet.  By all means, bring him aboard as an assistant (not that he would want to).  Not a head coach though.

Babcock is my (obvious) first choice.  Boucher next.  Then one of the current "hot" AHL coaches.

I listened to an interview with Rutherford today. Had a lot of insightful things to say. I actually liked what I heard. I still don't think he's the right GM, but I DO think the right guy is under him, and with the input I'm getting, this could be a very good year indeed...