Any preference or prediction for pick 17 of the NHL draft?

Lots of talent that could be there. From some of the guys I've seen I like Ehlers and Milano. Probably end up being someone like Ho-sang or some scrappy center who can check.

What do you guys all think? Any predictions or preferences?

Zac Parise? Whoops not 2003 I guess.  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

My guess is they go with a forward and the best one available on the board at 17. Being this is Hextall's first go around as a drafting GM, my guess is he'll go rather conservative. I'd imagine Kapanen or Larskin. I'd lean towards Larkin due to his USHL development program and his size. 

Now if Hextall goes big, I can see them trading the 1st overall and a solid roster player (B. Schenn) to move down. Perhaps make a roster shake up with Edmonton and take Bennett, but that screams re-build in my book.

The only way I see the move down happening is if Schenn cannot be signed to reasonable terms and a cap floor team would be willing to take him on.

I'd like to see Sami's son get drafted by the Flyers!

I'm indifferent to the younger Kapanen being a Flyer. His dad was an alright player, but by the time the senior Kapanen got to Philadelphia, he was relegated to nothing more than a 30 to 35 point player. I know that the scouts say the younger Kapanen has a chance to be a good offensive player with a great two-way game, but this club desperately needs a pure offensive sniper. I could care less that this club had 7 20 goal scorers. They had no forward score 30. Stanley Cup caliber clubs have at least one or two 30 goal scorers in the lineup and we need a prospect with that kind of upside. There's more than enough "two-way" players already in the pipeline.

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 1

They had no forward score 30. Stanley Cup caliber clubs have at least one or two 30 goal scorers in the lineup

don't look now, but neither NYR nor the kings had a single guy hit 30 goals last season.  the rangers only had one with more than 20.  the kings only had two.  the flyers had four.  with three more right at 20.  in terms of individual goal scoring, the flyers > both NYR and LAK. 

edit:  my bad, st louis did hit 30 between tampa and new york.  still.  

Edited by aziz
  • Like 1

don't look now, but neither NYR nor the kings had a single guy hit 30 goals last season.  the rangers only had one with more than 20.  the kings only had two.  the flyers had four.  with three more right at 20.  in terms of individual goal scoring, the flyers > both NYR and LAK. 

edit:  my bad, st louis did hit 30 between tampa and new york.  still.  

Yes grit, hustle and complete buy in on team D needed everyone skating.....scoring will come...

qzq1rxzkeyppapc6teci.jpg

........too funny!!!!!!!!!!

There is ONE current player on the Flyers who is a top 6 forward or a top 4 d-man who they drafted. Is it any wonder why the are 1 and done in the playoffs year after year. They need to purge this team of thirty somethings for whatever they can get and stockpile draft picks, no matter the round, but Snider loves the 8th place sneak into the playoffs format the Flyers excel at. As far as picking 17th, the odds of them picking an impact player with the pick are 50/50. The current theme of success in the NHL seems to be build from the goal out, so hopefully a big fast d-man with grit.

There is ONE current player on the Flyers who is a top 6 forward or a top 4 d-man who they drafted.

what difference does that make?  why does it matter where the players came from?  are the kings somehow better off that they drafted doughty whereas the bruins traded for chara?

the *only* upside to having your own draftees on the team is that they are cheaper for a few years.  once they are no longer on ELCs, it matters not even a little bit at all.

Is it any wonder why the are 1 and done in the playoffs year after year

over the last 6 playoffs, the flyer have missed them once, been eliminated in the first round twice, in the second round twice, and made it to the finals once.

As far as picking 17th, the odds of them picking an impact player with the pick are 50/50.

no.  since 2000, there has been one impact player taken at number 17.  parise in 2003.  all the rest have either been depth role players, or not NHL players at all.  the odds of picking an impact player at 17 are, what's that, 7%?  seriously, the draft is the single LEAST reliable way of building a team, unless you are stocking up on top 5 picks.

The current theme of success in the NHL seems to be build from the goal out, so hopefully a big fast d-man with grit.

the theme over the last 15 years has been to have no theme.  running around trying to copy last season's cup winners will get you no where.  chicago, boston, LA, pittsburgh, detroit, they all won recent cups with very different teams, not adhering to any single theme.

stop looking for some weird faceless formula for building a winning team.  it doesn't exist.  

Edited by aziz

Lots of talent that could be there. From some of the guys I've seen I like Ehlers and Milano. Probably end up being someone like Ho-sang or some scrappy center who can check.

What do you guys all think? Any predictions or preferences?

I have not followed Juniors much since moving to where I am now. I would defer to @jammer2 and @flyercanuck as they regularly follow Junior hockey (and @OccamsRazor). There was another thread (forget who posted it), but a player out of the OHL (Richie i believe), that I am completely enamored with. He is slated at #16, but I would move up to go get him. Seeing his video, he is Lindros lite v. 2.0 or Rick Tocchet v. 2.0  (except a winger). 6'2 230 lbs, can skate, pass, score, hit and fight. The quintessential flyer in my mind.

I have wet dreams of him playing on Girouxs wing. 

Edited by Vanflyer

I have not followed Juniors much since moving to where I am now. I would defer to @jammer2 and @flyercanuck as they regularly follow Junior hockey (and @OccamsRazor). There was another thread (forget who posted it), but a player out of the OHL (Richie i believe), that I am completely enamored with. He is slated at #16, but I would move up to go get him. Seeing his video, he is Lindros lite v. 2.0 or Rick Tocchet v. 2.0  (except a winger). 6'2 230 lbs, can skate, pass, score, hit and fight. The quintessential flyer in my mind.

I have wet dreams of him playing on Girouxs wing.

Thanks for the compliment but I don't get to watch a lot of live games like Jammer and FC mine comes from a lot of reading and highlights and YouTube videos...not quite them same but its maybe more than the average fan.

But if I had more acess I would watch but down south here its hard enough to follow NHL muc less junior hockey. I actually watch more NCAA hockey more just because it it on my sports package.

I actually watch more NCAA hockey more just because it it on my sports package.

All things being equal, USHL / NCAA hockey is getting much better. The CHL is still better because of the number of games they play and established infrastructure. There are many good players coming out of the USHL / NCAA. The Flyers just signed one of Ghosts teammates. That says allot. Two players from a tiny school signed within months of each other by an NHL team. 

Yes grit, hustle and complete buy in on team D needed everyone skating.....scoring will come...

qzq1rxzkeyppapc6teci.jpg

........too funny!!!!!!!!!!

pretty much sums up some of the big ego's in the NBA to the grittiness of hockey players

Edited by pilldoc

what difference does that make?  why does it matter where the players came from?  are the kings somehow better off that they drafted doughty whereas the bruins traded for chara?

the *only* upside to having your own draftees on the team is that they are cheaper for a few years.  once they are no longer on ELCs, it matters not even a little bit at all.

Well, other than the fact  Chara has played in Boston for 8 years and his play falters a bit more each year...whereas Doughty has played 6 years in LA and is 24 and has plenty of his best years in front of him.

over the last 6 playoffs, the flyer have missed them once, been eliminated in the first round twice, in the second round twice, and made it to the finals once.

no.  since 2000, there has been one impact player taken at number 17.  parise in 2003.  all the rest have either been depth role players, or not NHL players at all.  the odds of picking an impact player at 17 are, what's that, 7%?  seriously, the draft is the single LEAST reliable way of building a team, unless you are stocking up on top 5 picks.

Or if you have good scouting and can pick impact players later on. Only one impact player has been taken at 17? How many have been taken after 17...cause those are the ones still available. Flyers have drafted Gagne, Williams, Richards and Giroux picking in the 20s. Of course it also depends on the draft...sometimes there are slim pickings. But if you're going to build through the draft, of course it should be a lot easier with top 5 picks.

The current theme of success in the NHL seems to be build from the goal out, so hopefully a big fast d-man with grit.

the theme over the last 15 years has been to have no theme.  running around trying to copy last season's cup winners will get you no where.  chicago, boston, LA, pittsburgh, detroit, they all won recent cups with very different teams, not adhering to any single theme.

I hate trying to build last seasons cup winner. That's NOT how they built their team.

stop looking for some weird faceless formula for building a winning team.  it doesn't exist.  

• Like 2

All things being equal, USHL / NCAA hockey is getting much better. The CHL is still better because of the number of games they play and established infrastructure. There are many good players coming out of the USHL / NCAA. The Flyers just signed one of Ghosts teammates. That says allot. Two players from a tiny school signed within months of each other by an NHL team.

Yeah but the deal was a AHL deal and they should have signed their best forward who was available but he signed with Monteal...Daniel Carr.

Yeah but the deal was a AHL deal and they should have signed their best forward who was available but he signed with Monteal...Daniel Carr.

Point well taken. Yet the it still remains, three players from a small NCAA school drafted / playing professional hockey. 20 years ago, that would be unheard of. 

Point well taken. Yet the it still remains, three players from a small NCAA school drafted / playing professional hockey. 20 years ago, that would be unheard of. 

I haven't been able to get on here all day. Kept getting error messages. Something screwy is going on it's the last time i say anything about Wang and Clitsome!!!!

Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't been able to get on here all day. Kept getting error messages. Something screwy is going on it's the last time i say anything about Wang and Clitsome!!!!

Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@hf101

Hf and i have been conversing regarding the log in. We believe its a server issue. HF has contacted the provider (just recently changed). I have had same problems as you (using two different OS on two different machines and two different browsers). Give 24 hours / 48 hours and hopefully it will be stable. I cleared my cache history and still same issue. I just kept doing a refresh until the ping worked. 

@hf101

Hf and i have been conversing regarding the log in. We believe its a server issue. HF has contacted the provider (just recently changed). I have had same problems as you (using two different OS on two different machines and two different browsers). Give 24 hours / 48 hours and hopefully it will be stable. I cleared my cache history and still same issue. I just kept doing a refresh until the ping worked.

Yeah wacky stuff going on...this post in from my phone...my first since friday! Alright I'm going to bed. Later.

@

Been watching Lemieux play here for 2 years. He IS his fathers son....good gritty forward who's a pain to play against and can put the puck in the net. Scored 27 times this year after getting 6 last year, then had 10 points in 11 playoff games. Great in the corners or in front of the oppositions net at getting the puck and hellraising. Good skater, good shot. A reach at 17...will likely go late 1st.

I'm kinda torn on Josh Ho-Sang. Obviously I'd love to have a Spitfire picked in the 1st round by the Flyers. It would be awesome. I'm just not sure Ho-Sang is what the Flyers need. The kid can dangle, nice skater and excellent hockey sense...but he is on the smallish side, will never be a physical force in the NHL. He reminds me a lot of another former Spit, Cory Stillman....and I'm thinking his upside is pretty close to the player Cory was. They were both smallish, but had good wheels and are both dynamic jitterbug types. Myself, I'm hoping for a big physical LW'er who can skate and score, but I'm sure there are a LOT of teams looking for that exact same thing.

I would LOVE to move up 10 spots and grab Nick Ritchie. That would be the move for me. Of course, the question is, how much would it cost to jettison up 10 spots in a nice draft like this? Probably to much, but I'd put an oar in the water and see what the paddling price is.

The kid can dangle, nice skater and excellent hockey sense...but he is on the smallish side, will never be a physical force in the NHL.

Yes if he is small i'd pass Flyers need some size on the wings preferable the LW size with some speed. Milano sounds like a great fit....just not sure he'll be there.