Any preference or prediction for pick 17 of the NHL draft?

I have not followed Juniors much since moving to where I am now. I would defer to @jammer2 and @flyercanuck as they regularly follow Junior hockey (and @OccamsRazor). There was another thread (forget who posted it), but a player out of the OHL (Richie i believe), that I am completely enamored with. He is slated at #16, but I would move up to go get him. Seeing his video, he is Lindros lite v. 2.0 or Rick Tocchet v. 2.0  (except a winger). 6'2 230 lbs, can skate, pass, score, hit and fight. The quintessential flyer in my mind.

I have wet dreams of him playing on Girouxs wing. 

Nick Ritchie? Is that the guy I've heard scouts compare to Lucic?

I'm kinda torn on Josh Ho-Sang. Obviously I'd love to have a Spitfire picked in the 1st round by the Flyers. It would be awesome. I'm just not sure Ho-Sang is what the Flyers need. The kid can dangle, nice skater and excellent hockey sense...but he is on the smallish side, will never be a physical force in the NHL. He reminds me a lot of another former Spit, Cory Stillman....and I'm thinking his upside is pretty close to the player Cory was. They were both smallish, but had good wheels and are both dynamic jitterbug types. Myself, I'm hoping for a big physical LW'er who can skate and score, but I'm sure there are a LOT of teams looking for that exact same thing.

I would LOVE to move up 10 spots and grab Nick Ritchie. That would be the move for me. Of course, the question is, how much would it cost to jettison up 10 spots in a nice draft like this? Probably to much, but I'd put an oar in the water and see what the paddling price is.

The problem for me is I feel like all we ever grab are these tough gritty guys that they say can score and hit and fight and then thats all we ever have. I'd like to see some guys with speed and hands and moves get drafted. I realize toughness is essential in the game of hockey but so is skill and speed. This game seems to get faster and faster and it looked last year as if the Flyers didn't have that speed.

I'd prefer someone with some elite speed that can tire out some of these more skilled skating defensemen.

The problem for me is I feel like all we ever grab are these tough gritty guys that they say can score and hit and fight and then thats all we ever have. I'd like to see some guys with speed and hands and moves get drafted. I realize toughness is essential in the game of hockey but so is skill and speed. This game seems to get faster and faster and it looked last year as if the Flyers didn't have that speed.

I'd prefer someone with some elite speed that can tire out some of these more skilled skating defensemen.

There is no doubt the Josh has legit hands and speed. At the most he could be a poor man's Patrick Kane at the worst a speedy 3rd line Zuccarello type of player. I do think he will play and contribute at the NHL level, the tough part is predicting what type of impact he will eventually have. He seems like the type of player that would have scouts split on how his skill set will translate to the next level. It's a real tough call.

There is no doubt the Josh has legit hands and speed. At the most he could be a poor man's Patrick Kane at the worst a speedy 3rd line Zuccarello type of player. I do think he will play and contribute at the NHL level, the tough part is predicting what type of impact he will eventually have. He seems like the type of player that would have scouts split on how his skill set will translate to the next level. It's a real tough call.

Zuccarello is quickly becoming one of my favorite non-Flyer players. I'd take him on my team too.

Zuccarello is quickly becoming one of my favorite non-Flyer players. I'd take him on my team too.

Same here. Guys like Zuccs, Hagelin, Kreider all helped give the Rangers a decided speed advantage against the Flyers.

Same here. Guys like Zuccs, Hagelin, Kreider all helped give the Rangers a decided speed advantage against the Flyers.

I really hope the Rangers lose and I despise all NY teams but its hard to dislike the way these Rangers play the game. That is a tough team with some solid players who fight hard. I definitely respect them. 

Would've liked to have seen Mason play that entire series though…..

Would've liked to have seen Mason play that entire series though…..

I can't escape that thought either. We came within a smidge of knocking out the Rags....the same team that could be leading the Kings 2-1 right now if a few bounces went their way. If Gary wanted parity, it appears that is exactly what he got.....cause never in a million years would I have thought our defense could compete adequately for extended periods of time. Turns out we were a bit closer than many of us imagined. 

I'm kinda torn on Josh Ho-Sang. Obviously I'd love to have a Spitfire picked in the 1st round by the Flyers. It would be awesome. I'm just not sure Ho-Sang is what the Flyers need. The kid can dangle, nice skater and excellent hockey sense...but he is on the smallish side, will never be a physical force in the NHL. He reminds me a lot of another former Spit, Cory Stillman....and I'm thinking his upside is pretty close to the player Cory was. They were both smallish, but had good wheels and are both dynamic jitterbug types. Myself, I'm hoping for a big physical LW'er who can skate and score, but I'm sure there are a LOT of teams looking for that exact same thing

Ho-Sang wouldn't be a bad selection at all. These kids with great hockey sense have a tendency to go on and have long careers because they're smart about where they need to be on the ice. Give me someone with good wheels, great hands and good mind any time. Yeah, it would be nice to grab a physical left winger, but I'm not opposed to the Flyers selecting an offensive standout who might not be the most physical player.

@BobbyClarkeFan16

I'm just hoping we can get a guy who'd end up on Girouxs line. And the ideal player slotted in with Giroux/Voracek isn't small, should be a shooter, not a playmaker, can park themselves in front of the net, and be able to crash the corners when needed. Ho-sang fills none of those needs.

• Like 2

@flyercanuck

I hear you. Cynical - about - the - draft me still thinks you take the best player available, regardless of needs. Which is to say, the most valuable, the one most likely to bring the highest return in trade down the road. Your average draftee , if he sticks in the nhl at all, is years from claiming a spot on the roster, more from having a top 6 impact.... And so knows what the team's needs are then? Between a couple of weeks from now and 2018 when the guy the Flyers pick is ready to carry a load, lots upon lots of roster things can happen. Highest value gives highest maneuverability as circumstances shift.

Edited by aziz

@aziz

I'm always for BPA in the 1st round. This draft is really deep with LWers, so the odds of BPA being a LWer when our pick is called is pretty good. Even if it's a center who can play left wing. Depending on who's list you're looking at about half the first round picks this year are left wingers.

@aziz

I'm always for BPA in the 1st round. This draft is really deep with LWers, so the odds of BPA being a LWer when our pick is called is pretty good. Even if it's a center who can play left wing. Depending on who's list you're looking at about half the first round picks this year are left wingers.

I agree but i'd really like a shot at Richie.

This mock has him going #10 to Phoenix.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

I'd be ok moving up to get him.

I won't say he has the most upside because that to me is the trickiest part about prospects but he is NHL ready almost now....reminds he of Nichushkin (6-3 205lbs)and Barkov (6-3 213lbs) and is already BIGGER than both (6-3 236lbs).

He can play either wing and is a left hand shot. So he'd be worth the shot.

If not him then Roland McKeown.