Pens' Next Head Coach

B21

Some names that are out there on various sites/rumor mills....

Mike Babcock (Please.)

Ron Wilson (Please no.)

John Stevens (Didn't we just fire him?)

Ulf Samuelsson (Front runner in Carolina?)

Guy Boucher

Todd Nelson (Oilers AHL HC)

Willie Desjardins (Stars' AHL HC)

John Hynes (WBS HC)

Rick Tocchet

Rod Brind'Amour (Rutherford ties - and would really pizz off Flyers fans!)

Babcock would be the obvious choice. I'm just don't see the Pens prying him away from Detroit. I like Tocchet as an assistant but not as a HC.

The current assistants have been retained for now but all have been given permission to look elsewhere. Martin has reportedly interviewed in Carolina.

Any others?

I keep throwing this name out there:  Mike Keenan. He's got the experience, just won a KHL title, and may be reading to come back across the pond.

See, this is something that MAY be a good thing for the Pens.   As Polaris said, maybe TOO strick, but Iron Mike may be just what the country club needs.

See, this is something that MAY be a good thing for the Pens.   As Polaris said, maybe TOO strick, but Iron Mike may be just what the country club needs.

That's my thinking as well...also why I think Torts may be in the mix. 

• 2 weeks later...

So they will go into the draft without a coach? Maybe Sid is making the calls? Why not Ron Wilson to the poster above? What the hell is wrong with Ron Wilson? The guy knows how to win.

He does? Where did he do that??

Rod Brind'Amour (Rutherford ties - and would really pizz off Flyers fans!)

I would not be angry. Maybe I am in the minority, but I am a hockey fan first and Flyers fan second. I think Rod has tremendous character. I just don't know much about his Coaching skills (x,o's and all that). 

I would not be angry. Maybe I am in the minority, but I am a hockey fan first and Flyers fan second. I think Rod has tremendous character. I just don't know much about his Coaching skills (x,o's and all that). 

I'm a Flyers fan first and a hockey fan second, but I still wouldn't have an issue with it. I don't mind Richards, Carter, or Williams winning Cups. I didn't mind Rod winning the Cup, why would I be upset that he merits an NHL head coaching job?

I didn't mind Rod winning the Cup, why would I be upset that he merits an NHL head coaching job?

The only twinge of anger I had an anyone named Brind'AMour is at clarke for trading him for the egotistical, self-centered, malcontent named Primeau. People can talk all they want about his one shining moment of a tremendous playoff run, but at the end of the day, there was no cup (while Brindy did get one). 

• Like 1

The only twinge of anger I had an anyone named Brind'AMour is at clarke for trading him for the egotistical, self-centered, malcontent named Primeau. People can talk all they want about his one shining moment of a tremendous playoff run, but at the end of the day, there was no cup (while Brindy did get one).

Always felt Primeau was overrated. Solid #3 center who could play #2 on his best days, but not someone I'd have wanted as #1. Just never thought much of his skill set. Guy had heart most of the time, but seemed to take a lot if shifts off.

Always felt Primeau was overrated. Solid #3 center who could play #2 on his best days, but not someone I'd have wanted as #1. Just never thought much of his skill set. Guy had heart most of the time, but seemed to take a lot if shifts off.

I agree with that sentiment. Thus my lament for him. He always wanted to be treated-and paid as a #1 / #2 guy, but most nights (as you said), only brought third line skill set. Also, as a Flyer fan, I can't forgive him for throwing Bill Barber under the bus the year that Barbers wife died of cancer (the prior year Barber had won the Jack Adams). Perhaps the right move as Barber has since to coach again, but heartless / classless none-the-less. 

Winning the Cup is not the only judgement to cast success or failure on an individual. He did a very good job in Washington and we were making the playoffs then and they were becoming a rival of sorts. A pain in the arse and Lindy and him did not like each other. Wilson was a darn good coach there

But Cups are the goal, and a losing playoff record is a step down from Bylsma not an improvement.