Can't wait till the final is over

I am with JM on this one and I have been watching and yes it is entertaining but...my heart is just not in it once the Flyers are out.  I am rooting for the lesser to 2 evils which is the Kings beating the Rags but that is it...lets get the offseason here and see what Hexy is made of as far as fine tuning goes.

I am treasuring each game. I'm taping them and re-watching them multiple times. I always want a strong working knowledge of how the cup was awarded and the historical context in which it was won. I want a full 7 games with OT in every one of them. I'm gonna miss hockey so much when it is gone, I always do.....so I literally worship each second of the finals. I actually lose sleep wondering what strategies will be employed, who will rise to the occasion, who will make history.

I am treasuring each game. I'm taping them and re-watching them multiple times. I always want a strong working knowledge of how the cup was awarded and the historical context in which it was won. I want a full 7 games with OT in every one of them. I'm gonna miss hockey so much when it is gone, I always do.....so I literally worship each second of the finals. I actually lose sleep wondering what strategies will be employed, who will rise to the occasion, who will make history.

That is because you are much more of a hockey fan than I.  I am much more of a Flyers fan than a general hockey fan.  I like the playoffs but dont love them once my boys are gone.   

That is because you are much more of a hockey fan than I.  I am much more of a Flyers fan than a general hockey fan.  I like the playoffs but dont love them once my boys are gone.   

Yep, there is always going to be varying levels of interest, nothing wrong with that...either way.

• Like 1

I hear you jammster... I'll watch anything hockey any time if it's on somewhere.  OHL, NHL, World Juniors, etc. I don't have to give it 100% of my attention to it but I'll keep an eye on it.   While I love the flyers, I guess I'm a bigger fan of "the game".  I grew up 8 hrs away from Toronto... but never enjoyed the leafs.  I loved the broons/flames but followed lindros as a kid.  Now I bleed orange and plan to finally make the pilgrimage to philly sometime next x-mas holidays.

How do you find the time?

There's just no way I can devote 2.5 hours each night to watching hockey. I have a hard enough time following just the Flyers. I watch TV a few times a week for about 45 minutes (whatever show we happen to be following).

And apparently the average American watches 5 hours of TV per day! I would have to watch TV from the moment I get home until about 10:30!!

I guess the Stanley Cup Finals doesn't have the "pageantry" or "epicness" of the Superb Owl (not allowed to call it the Super Bowl without expressed written permission from the NFL...dammit! now I'm gonna get sued) because that's a one and done game,  but these games do represent the pinnacle of the toughest, bestest, most glorious championship in all of modern human sports.

The Redskins in 1988 showed that it only takes a modest four game winning streak and two otherwise pedestrian players having the game -no- quarter of their lives to win the American football championship (don't get me wrong, I love football, but I understand the perspective difference between the two sports.)  Hockey takes SIXTEEN wins, potentially 28 games played in the post season to achieve a final victor. 

Basketball... take five minutes to play the final 30 seconds, put the ball through the basket fifty times and still not win?!?  Nope.

Soccer, take 90 minutes plus "mystery time", never put the ball into the net, and somehow win 0-0?!?  Wake me up so I can say "Nope."

While I don't really follow baseball, I can appreciate the strategy and gamesmanship, particularly in the National League (DH is for pansies.)  The World Series is a special name.  But can anyone describe what the actual trophy (banner, plate, etc.) looks like?  Surely nothing as iconic as Lord Stanley's Trophy.

I watched a lot of Hockey this post season, and was disappointed the Flyers couldn't manage one last rally at the end of their game 7 vs Rangers.  We all feel confident the Flyers would have handled the Penguins easier than the Rangers did, and the Canadiens were spent after beating the Bruins.  So close to it being the Flyers getting stomped by the Kings!

So yes, I am enjoying the best championship finals in all of sports, even if it winds up being a sweep of the hated Rangers.

Have to agree, there is always fun to be had watching games right through to the SC Finals for ANY overall NHL fan, however, I can also see how some fans can look forward to the off season and to the coming year if their team is out.

Personally, I am enjoying the rest of the playoffs since both the Lightning and Wild were eliminated, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't enjoy it more had they still been playing.

I have somewhat a vested interest in the Finals right now, as I would love to see MSL and Brad Richards raise the Cup TOGETHER once again.....however, that is not looking likely at all...in fact, it AINT gonna happen... lol.

Still though, on the Kings side, those guys just deserve the Cup win as they have a very good program going on in LA and look to be that way for a couple more years yet.

And Marion Gaborik getting his name on the Cup, FINALLY, well, I am happy for him too....former Minnesota Wild stand out.

For Flyers fans, I can see how some can wish the Finals to be over as having LA and NY can't sit all that well with them.....now some of you guys know how I felt when I had to endure Pitt-Det for two years in a row...lol.

Or Van-Bos.

Those were some good series, no doubt, but from my fandom, its like the Ogre fighting the Troll....you just wish they both would die, but you know one has to win the Cup.  :P

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

I like the Kings since I have lived in SoCal for a long time.  And I still root for Richards & Carter because of their days in Orange & Black.

And watching them beat the daylights out of the Rangers?  Even better!

Very much enjoying this series.

As great as the games have been, especially the results of the 1st 3 games, I am also longing for it to be over. Very interested to see how Hexy handles his 1st offseason.

The sooner the Rangers lose, the happier I'll be!!!!

I was with you until the sleepless part. Seek help. :)

I'm enjoying the finals and enjoyed the western conference finals. The eastern did nothing for me really. But I, too, want this to go seven games of overtime but know this series is over.

But the wish that it be over isn't what bothers me the most. It's the reason. The Flyers are not going to be busy. A couple B-class stop-gap types while we wait for prospects to mature. Maybe resign Timonen (B-class stop-gap). That's about it.

I don't see a bunch of moves coming. So, if watching non-Flyers teams playing really good hockey doesn't do it for you, watching non-Flyers teams being active in the post season will either be extremely boring or make one want to ride one's bike along Lake Ontario.

How do you find the time?

There's just no way I can devote 2.5 hours each night to watching hockey. I have a hard enough time following just the Flyers. I watch TV a few times a week for about 45 minutes (whatever show we happen to be following).

And apparently the average American watches 5 hours of TV per day! I would have to watch TV from the moment I get home until about 10:30!!

Wait. You don't? What the hell do you do? Talk to your family? SICKO!

Wait. You don't? What the hell do you do? Talk to your family? SICKO!

Haha! It was an honest question, though! I remember pre-kids that I had a lot of free time, but they're like a time and energy vortex. 

• Like 1

It's purely individual.  For me, it comes down to two things: 1) lack of time and 2) just not having much of an emotional investment if it's not the Flyers.  For me watching non-Flyer hockey is like watching a movie: you are enterntained, you want to see the end, yet you don't really care what happens.  There is just so many other things to do beside watching the Kings-Rangers series.

But again, it varies from peson to person and there is absolutely nothing wrong with either side.

• Like 1

It's purely individual. For me, it comes down to two things: 1) lack of time and 2) just not having much of an emotional investment if it's not the Flyers. For me watching non-Flyer hockey is like watching a movie: you are enterntained, you want to see the end, yet you don't really care what happens. There is just so many other things to do beside watching the Kings-Rangers series.

But again, it varies from peson to person and there is absolutely nothing wrong with either side.

Completely agree. Very nicely said. Your personal view of it also greatly matches mine. I'm enjoying it in a very academic way, but it really does lose a lot for me with the lack of any real emotional involvement /investment.

@ruxpin  As much as I wanted to see a nice eventful 7 game series, I'm more than happy to be assured the evil NYR will not lift the Cup. I couldn't stomach watching a Ranger Stanley Cup victory, once in my lifetime is still to many.

• Like 4

Poulin20, on 09 Jun 2014 - 9:34 PM, said:

Yep, there is always going to be varying levels of interest, nothing wrong with that...either way.

I somewhere in the middle...I lose interest after being knocked out of the SCP but usually end up watching the Finals because it's the last hockey I'll get to watch for awhile.