Boston plans to be active in the off season

fanaticV3.0

http://fansided.com/2014/06/08/nhl-rumors-boston-bruins-active-trade-market/#!W0N6S

This isn't the original article I saw, but it essentially says the same thing. I've seen it a lot recently and that surprises me, because I still think they are the best team in the East. I don't think they need a lot of work, so I'm curious to see what they do (and if it hurts them).

I do agree the Bruins still field a good team, however, Big Z is getting a bit long in the tooth as is Shawn Thornton and Jarome Iginla (will he be back?), so I think plans to replace those guys down the line can and should be made now...even if it means signing a stop gap free agent or two.

Also, the overall Boston team speed, particularly on defense, but also on their lower lines could probably use an upgrade.

I know Montreal is a really fast team, but there were times when Boston simply looked like they didn't belong on the same ice surface as the Habs speed wise.

Saw that throughout the season as well where it seems teams often times made Bruins players look like pylons.

A testament though to the talent the Bruins do have that they were still able to come out with the best record in the East, but still, if you are the Bruin FO, you don't sit around and wait till the wheels fall off...you have contingency plans and that is what I believe they will probably be looking for in the off season.

Speed, a bit of depth, or maybe a guy or two to play while some of their younger talent continues to develop.

They still have enough guys in their primes right now though that I expect them to still be playoff contenders once again in the coming season.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

The only thing I know for sure is Marchand is a goner....they are going to move on from him IMHO.

Boston will have to pay a cap penalty for Iginla contract he signed last year too...that hurst some.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/06/report-iginla-bonuses-will-cost-bruins-next-season/

The only thing I know for sure is Marchand is a goner....they are going to move on from him IMHO.

Fwiw, Chiarelli is denying trade rumors involving Marchand:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/06/13/bruins-peter-chiarelli-denies-brad-marchand-trade-report/MiebfvUckt1ALP0NpG17wI/story.html

“I have had no discussions for Marchand and I have no plans to trade him,” the Bruins’ general manager said in a text message. “I don’t make it a practice to respond to reports in the social media, but occasionally it is necessary.”

Edited by JackStraw

“I have had no discussions for Marchand and I have no plans to trade him,” the Bruins’ general manager said in a text message. “I don’t make it a practice to respond to reports in the social media, but occasionally it is necessary.”

When did Chiarlli learn to communicate in Homer speak?  That really means "we just ironing out the finishing touches".

I'd love the Sharks to offer Sheet Torey Krug.

Throw him a bridge deal offer sheet of 4 million a season. Boston is going to want to keep it low because of their cap problems, but it may not be possible. 40 points and a left side defenseman. The biggest reason their Powerplay was not crap this season. A bit on the rough side defensively, but if paired with Braun, who is a rock defensively, would be great.

They would probably match, but then could kiss the idea of resigning Iginla goodbye, while trying to figure out their other cap problems. The east would thank us for handcuffing them or taking their top PP pointman away. :)

@JackStraw@jammer2@OccamsRazor@flyercanuck

Boston is going to want to keep it low because of their cap problems, but it may not be possible.

They really don't have cap problems they will get Savard's LTIR cap relief (4mill) to when the season starts.

But Krug is a nice young prospect whom the B's will not let walk and will match any offer. Marchand and other are on the way out i believe at the draft to make room i believe.

They really don't have cap problems they will get Savard's LTIR cap relief (4mill) to when the season starts.

But Krug is a nice young prospect whom the B's will not let walk and will match any offer. Marchand and other are on the way out i believe at the draft to make room i believe.

They lose 4.5 million in space this year to the bonus guys from last year

They lose 4.5 million in space this year to the bonus guys from last year

Yes that is why there are rumor of them moving Marchand (4.5mill) and Eriksson (4.25mill) and Boychuk (3.3mill).

They already have 6 Dmen under contract.

So they will qualify Krug somewhere around 1.5 mill and Reilly Smith around 1.1mill and Bartowski for around 800K-900K. That will give them 8 Dmen and why Boychuk is rumored to be on the block.

Thornton has already been informed he ain't coming back and Iggy has been rumored to be signing for around 1.8mill for a 1 year deal.

Yes that is why there are rumor of them moving Marchand (4.5mill) and Eriksson (4.25mill) and Boychuk (3.3mill).

They already have 6 Dmen under contract.

So they will qualify Krug somewhere around 1.5 mill and Reilly Smith around 1.1mill and Bartowski for around 800K-900K. That will give them 8 Dmen and why Boychuk is rumored to be on the block.

Thornton has already been informed he ain't coming back and Iggy has been rumored to be signing for around 1.8mill for a 1 year deal.

??? I heard different about iginla. He already had a "prove it" contract and now he wants a fair non-bonus contract and term longer than a year.

Chiarelli came out and said Marchand is not on the block when rumors arose