We are Going for Freedom Fries: Bellemare Signing

Howie58

@murraycraven

"he was not brought over to play in the NHL and will be given every chance to make the Flyers"

This seems odd. On one hand he was not brought over to play in the NHL; however, if the opportunity presents itself, he has a chance to make the Flyers?

I hope he gets his postcards ready that say "Greetings from Allentown....."

"he was not brought over to play in the NHL and will be given every chance to make the Flyers"

Not quite.......it's actually the opposite he was brought over to play in the NHL and will be given every chance to succeed. And for just 600K i like the move nothing really to lose here.

Quote from Bill:

The Flyers did not sign Bellemare to play for the Phantoms in the AHL. He will take his shot at the NHL roster and either sink or swim. He could fit on either the third or fourth line, and will probably play left wing. His positional versatility and ability to adapt to a checking oriented role as well as scoring line duties work in his favor.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Bellemare-Signed-Couturier-Surgery-Quick-Hits/45/60560

Edited by OccamsRazor

Not quite.......it's actually the opposite he was brought over to play in the NHL and will be given every chance to succeed. And for just 600K i like the move nothing really to lose here.

Quote from Bill:

The Flyers did not sign Bellemare to play for the Phantoms in the AHL. He will take his shot at the NHL roster and either sink or swim. He could fit on either the third or fourth line, and will probably play left wing. His positional versatility and ability to adapt to a checking oriented role as well as scoring line duties work in his favor.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Bellemare-Signed-Couturier-Surgery-Quick-Hits/45/60560

OR & jammer

Sorry about that!  I mistyped it... he was brought to play in the NHL...   my bad.

Could be a great first player signing for Hexy..

Hexy Ever After ....

I hear he is French also .

Edited by intheslot

Could be a great first player signing for Hexy..

Hexy Ever After ....

I hear he is French also .

This guy may have made Akeson's job even harder....that is a good thing.

HA since he is French i hope he can help with the quest for the Holy Grail....but maybe not since he has already got one!!!!!!

"I'm French why do think i have this outrageous accent you silly king!"

Thing after he scores he can fart in the general direction of the other team's bench!!!! :blink:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is that Dopita?  Whenever I hear "best player not in NHL" I immediately think of him....so promising after that 4 goal game.

Read on another board by several different swedes (Bellamare played SHL last year): 

1) "Great player. Twice the player that Raffl was in Sweden."

2) "Bellemare should be an addition with the ability to fill a spot on the 3rd. As Robin noted he has a good shot as well as good speed."

3) Good signing. Maybe the best two-way forward in SHL and never has a day off.

A funny thing is that he did an interview in Swedish and said " I have 100% focus every second day", instead of everyday. The reason why he said like that is because the words is are pretty similar in Swedish (varannan, varje)

4) From a French devils fan: "Congrats for signing one of the best player from France smiles.gif

Bellemare is great defensively, nice speed, nice shot.

Is a warrior on the ice, hard worker.

Should be a nice 3rd liner, useful on the PK."

5) From another French Hockey fan: "He's such a hard worker, no problem for him.

I have a lot of photos of him hitting Coburn during the Worlds... grin.gif"

6) French Devils Fan again: "Steady progression.

Started in Rouen (one of the best french team), rookie of the year in 2005, all-star in 2006 and already played for France senior team as a U20.

Left for Leksand in 2006-07, for 2 years in Sweden 2nd level.

Joined Skellefteå in 2009-10. Wore the "A" in his 3rd year, had a jaw injury in 2012-13 (without that, would have left for the NHL sooner).

He has 87 GP in international play for France, scoring 69 pts (26 goals).

In world championship, 56 GP, 13G and 32 pts (9th all-time for France).

He started as a 4th liner with limited minutes in NT and quietly became one of the best all-time.

I'm not worried, he'll be fine."

Sounds promising and with the addition of Umberger, makes Read expendable (part of my plan to move up in the draft is to use him as bait)- or preferably makes Umberger expendable, but I doubt you'll get any takers in the draft to "move up" for an Umberger. 

Edited by Vanflyer

@ Vanflyer - you had me until you wanted to use Read as trade bait.  He has a pretty good cap hit for a 20 goal scorer who plays a lot in all situations.  Unless he lands a home run I would not move him.  I am biased as he is one of my fave flyers though.

• Like 1

Unless he lands a home run I would not move him.  I am biased as he is one of my fave flyers though.

If he landed Ritchie, I think it would be as close as a home run as you could get. I like read too, but you have to give to get and we would not be mortgaging the farm.  

Nick Ritchie THW Close-Up:

Date of birth: 12/5/1996

Place of birth: Orangeville, ON, CAN

Ht: 6’3″     Wt: 236 lbs

Shoots: Left

Position: RW/LW

NHL Draft Eligibility: 2014

THW The Next Ones Rankings (January 2014): 10

Nick-Ritchie-2-590x472.jpg

Nick Ritchie (Terry Wilson / OHL Images)

Other Rankings:

THW War Room Rankings (April): 7

Future Considerations: 7

Craig Button: 15

CS Final Rankings for North American skaters: 7

The old saying around the NHL is: You can’t teach size.

Nick Ritchie has plenty of it and isn’t afraid to use it. In fact, it’s one aspect of his game that makes him such a prized item in this year’s draft. Standing 6’3″, 236 lbs, Ritchie is one of the most dominating scorers juniors has to offer. The big-bodied winger for the Peterborough Petes has amazing quickness for his size and packs a punch with his wrist shot.

The next great power forward in the making, Ritchie had a phenomenal OHL season scoring 39 goals and adding 136 penalty minutes. As I said before, he’s not one to shy away from physical play and oftentimes gets into the heads of players with his physical play. The one knock on his game might be his consistency.

One night he can come out flying, scoring goals at a clip, setting up plays, and showcasing his offensive skills. Other nights he can lose his cool, spend a good amount of time in the box, and completely be off his game. Ritchie has a bit of a temper, which is something NHL scouts like to see, however he’ll need to handle his temper a bit better to be an effective NHL player. It shouldn’t be difficult to work on given proper coaching.

The one part of Ritchie’s game I like most is his compete level and willingness to battle along the boards, play effectively in the corners, and the way he drives the net creating problems for defensemen and goaltenders. He’s going to be a big headache for 29 NHL teams when they have to do battle against him.

Where Will He End Up In June:

There’s a very good chance Nick Ritchie is a top 10 selection in late June. Pure power forwards with talent are difficult to come by which makes Ritchie a valuable asset. If he does drop out of the top 10, don’t bet on him falling past the first 15 selections.

Scout’s Honor:

“The former #2 pick in the 2011 OHL Priority Selection, Ritchie looks to have put some injury woes from a season ago behind him, which has him primed for a big year. The hulking winger will have NHL teams salivating with a 6-foot-2, 220 pound frame, and speed to burn. Despite his gargantuan size, Ritchie has the explosiveness to take most defenseman wide but also shows an ability to mix up his attack by cutting in and driving the net. Ritchie’s shot release is top notch and projects to grade out as a 30+ goal scorer at the next level. So what’s holding his game back? Ritchie can be a mixed bag as you never know what you’re going to get out of him on any given night. If the soon to be 18-year-old can find some consistency, it could help push him into the top three.”

The Scouting Report

“Nick Ritchie is a power forward prospect who finishes his checks, and plays a very straight line game, taking the puck right to the front of the net and not caring if he has to go through a defenceman to do it. He loves to stand in front of the net and has the quick, soft hands necessary to score on rebounds and deflections.  Ritchie might have the best wrist shot in this draft class.  It is tremendously powerful, and features a very good release.  It can be in the back of the net before the goaltender even knows that he’s shot the puck.  That wrist shot is already NHL ready.  He is powerful in board battles, overpowering defencemen and winning pucks.  While plenty of Draft Eligible 
prospects
need to add muscle to their frames before going pro, Ritchie is already built like a truck.  On top of that he’s still got room to get even bigger and stronger.

He has a powerful skating stride, and excellent balance, but could stand to work on his speed as it is just average (for this draft class) right now.  One thing that really helps though, is that he has a very quick first step and good acceleration.  This really helps him to pounce on loose pucks in all three zones.  While he might not win a 100 foot race to the puck against a quicker NHL player, he is going to win plenty of 10 foot races to loose pucks.”

Ben Kerr - Last Word On Sports

Tough and quick, he is a good playmaker and scorer. Strong on the forecheck and in the battle areas. 200lber with great size, good on-ice vision soft mitts, quick release and natural goal scoring instincts. Working to be a stronger forechecker, and improve as a two-way player. Already displays skill and physical presence. Aggressive physical player with good agility and footwork. Punishing hitter. Emerging offensive player who is difficult to move off the puck. Uses his core strength and skating strides to cause problems defending. He was selected to the roster for the World Junior Under-18 Tournament in April, 2013.