Spezza requests a trade

brelic

How do you feel about a captain requesting a trade?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454588

NEW YORK -- Jason Spezza has requested a trade, and Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray says he'll try to make that happen.

"I don't want to trade the guy, really, and I know I won't get the value, in all likelihood that I should get for him," Murray said Wednesday after the NHL general managers meeting. "But I think that Jason feels maybe there's a change that he would like to have happen, and if that's the case we'll try to do what we can."

Spezza, who replaced Daniel Alfredsson as Ottawa's captain, has one year left on his contract at a salary of US$4 million and cap hit of $7 million. The 30-year-old centre has a modified no-trade clause that allows him to submit a list of 10 teams he would not accept a trade to.

Murray said that a few teams have already asked about Spezza, even though Wednesday's meeting was too busy to advance many talks. He expects trade chatter to pick up in the next few weeks leading up to the draft, which runs June 27 and 28 in Philadelphia.

If the Senators do trade Spezza as has been speculated for some time, it would likely not be for just prospects and/or draft picks.

"Obviously I'd like to win a hockey game next year, so getting a player back that can play in the league, that has played in the league, would be important," Murray said.

Spezza led all Senators forwards in scoring last season with 23 goals and 43 assists. In 686 career NHL games, the native of Mississauga, Ont., has 687 points.

Ottawa went 37-31-14 and finished five points out of a playoff spot this season.

PS - Remind me never to hire Murray as a negotiator. Man, the guys sounds weak just by his quotes!

"I don't want to trade the guy, really, and I know I won't get the value, in all likelihood that I should get for him," Murray said Wednesday after the NHL general managers meeting.

"Obviously I'd like to win a hockey game next year, so getting a player back that can play in the league, that has played in the league, would be important," Murray said.

Hard to lose any respect for a player when you have none in the first place.

Guy has always been soft, will always be soft and when given responsibility, he apparently runs from it.

The Silver Lining is that Homer isn't here to overpay to get Spaetzle.

Spezza has one year at a 7 million dollar cap hit left on his deal. Looks like Turris is going to have to step up and prove he is a number one.

Huge offseason for Ottawa. Second year in a row an icon wants out. Ryan and Anderson are UFA next year. Do they decide to attempt a retool on the fly or deal Spezza, Anderson and ryan for kids and try to properly rebuild? Tough times ahead.

Ryan and Anderson are UFA next year. Do they decide to attempt a retool on the fly or deal Spezza, Anderson and ryan for kids and try to properly rebuild?

Cue the Cherry Hill native Bobby Ryan to Philly rumours (Cherry Hill is actually part of his name and is mandatory to mention when referencing Cherry Hill native Bobby Ryan).

@brelic  I can guarantee it sounded worse than it read....lol.

Really? I don't know, when a GM publicly states that he knows he won't get value for his player, it doesn't instill a ton of confidence in his poker skills. Talk about tipping your hand. Even if the whole league knows it, why publicly say you're a weak bastard?

How do you feel about a captain requesting a trade?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454588

NEW YORK -- Jason Spezza has requested a trade, and Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray says he'll try to make that happen.

"I don't want to trade the guy, really, and I know I won't get the value, in all likelihood that I should get for him," Murray said Wednesday after the NHL general managers meeting. "But I think that Jason feels maybe there's a change that he would like to have happen, and if that's the case we'll try to do what we can."

Spezza, who replaced Daniel Alfredsson as Ottawa's captain, has one year left on his contract at a salary of US$4 million and cap hit of $7 million. The 30-year-old centre has a modified no-trade clause that allows him to submit a list of 10 teams he would not accept a trade to.

Murray said that a few teams have already asked about Spezza, even though Wednesday's meeting was too busy to advance many talks. He expects trade chatter to pick up in the next few weeks leading up to the draft, which runs June 27 and 28 in Philadelphia.

If the Senators do trade Spezza as has been speculated for some time, it would likely not be for just prospects and/or draft picks.

Spezza led all Senators forwards in scoring last season with 23 goals and 43 assists. In 686 career NHL games, the native of Mississauga, Ont., has 687 points.

Ottawa went 37-31-14 and finished five points out of a playoff spot this season.

Him being a captain doesn't affect me either way. I think anyone is allowed to request a trade. Being a captain doesn't bind him to the team imo.

As far as him as a player, it's easy to call him a disappointment because he didn't save the franchise or anything, but frankly I was shocked to see that he had 687 points in 686 games. If he ends up on a team that uses him as a 2nd line center that could benefit both him and the team. If he is traded for by someone who thinks he's going to come in and own ****, both he and the team are in trouble.

Spezza has one year at a 7 million dollar cap hit left on his deal. Looks like Turris is going to have to step up and prove he is a number one.

Huge offseason for Ottawa. Second year in a row an icon wants out. Ryan and Anderson are UFA next year. Do they decide to attempt a retool on the fly or deal Spezza, Anderson and ryan for kids and try to properly rebuild? Tough times ahead.

He's not a #1 and if they expect him to be they're idiots. He has really just started to show signs of life. No better way to ruin that than to put him in the shoes of a position he's not capable of filling.

• Like 1

Really? I don't know, when a GM publicly states that he knows he won't get value for his player, it doesn't instill a ton of confidence in his poker skills. Talk about tipping your hand. Even if the whole league knows it, why publicly say you're a weak bastard?

Was a mean joke, but was referring to his speech impediment. It's just plain painful to hear that guy talk.

Was a mean joke, but was referring to his speech impediment. It's just plain painful to hear that guy talk.

Oh, haha! Gotcha. 

That's two key players they've lost in two seasons. For Alfie, I get it. Less so for Spezza. But he wants to win, I'm sure, but he's only 30. Lots of time for the Sens to ice a strong team.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, haha! Gotcha. 

That's two key players they've lost in two seasons. For Alfie, I get it. Less so for Spezza. But he wants to win, I'm sure, but he's only 30. Lots of time for the Sens to ice a strong team.

Hockey Trades @NHLTradeRumors The Ottawa Senators are negotiating a deal with the Coyotes - Jason Spezza for Keith Yandle

The Arizona Coyotes are receiving several trade offers for defenseman Keith Yandle. The Coyotes are deep in defensive prospects and could use some immediate help up front. Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro was bought out due to "behavioral issues" and GM Don Maloney is eager to trade for a replacement.

Yandle has an annual cap hit contract of $5.25 million until 2015-2016. The 27 year old's value is at a high  because he is coming off a 53 point season, where he scored 8 goals and tallied 45 assists. Many NHL teams need a puck handling defenseman of his caliber. 

The Ottawa Senators are negotiating a deal with the Coyotes - Jason Spezza for Keith Yandle.