Timonen re-signed to one year deal

radoran

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=722588

Flyers' website has no contract details.

Strange no mention of how much. Maybe to save us fans the sticker shock???

But i knew this was coming at least it's official now. So the top 6 is set??? I'd like to see one of the slow Dmen moved though and my choice would be GrossmanN.....one battleship on the blueline is enough.

Fluid skating Dmen are the blueline template of the future.

Kimmo Timonen signs a one-year deal with Flyers. Base salary in the $2 million range could be worth close to $4 million with bonuses.

Not that bad of a deal......it's certainly tolerable.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

Kimmo Timonen signs a one-year deal with Flyers. Base salary in the $2 million range could be worth close to $4 million with bonuses.

Not that bad of a deal......it's certainly tolerable.

I like it. Hextall probably asked Timonen what he would play for as opposed to offering him something without talking to him.

You know, negotiation.

Bizarroworld - population: us.

Hopefully the start of a new trend in the GM seat.

• Like 1

I like it. Hextall probably asked Timonen what he would play for as opposed to offering him something without talking to him.

You know, negotiation.

Bizarroworld - population: us.

Hopefully the start of a new trend in the GM seat.

I just hope they don't get hit with a penalty like Boston did with Iggy this past season with his bonus hope Hexy has done his homework....not afterwards like Homer.

the Boston Bruins are expected to have a cap penalty of around $4.5 million in 2014-15 due to Iginla, Dougie Hamilton, and Torey Krug‘s bonuses, according to the Boston Globe.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/06/report-iginla-bonuses-will-cost-bruins-next-season/

When asked what he expects Timonen's role to be in 2014-15, Hextall went into the following details -

"Kimmo’s going to dictate that, in part. We had a wide range of conversations, and we had conversations on different things like roles, and where he sees himself and where he fits. We talked everything through where at no point this year is there going to be Kimmo being upset or us being upset or what not. We talked everything through pretty well. Kimmo’s play is going to dictate his minutes, just like any other player on the team."

[h/t The Orange Update]

Espn was reporting 2 mill plus bonuses up to 4. This sounds like an absolutely best case scenario.

At that rate they probably asked him for 2 years. But The guy really seems like he's just about ready to move on.

2 million though? Beauty deal!

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=722588

We may get another year out of him after this. He sea to be pretty unsure each year. Will probably depend on how healthy he is and how hard the year is on him.

If he spends a year playing only 17 minutes a game, he might feel a lot younger at the end of it

@OccamsRazor

If that's the deal I'm fine with it. it's too bad Kimmo wasn't a bit younger....he could have been a heck of a role model for our defensive prospects coming in.

Howdy:

I think this is a good deal. He is a good presence. I guess he is moved off the #1 PP and/or has minutes taken down as others he mentioned. 

If nothing else, this prevents us from following in the time-honored Flyers tradition of spending too much for too long for at least one position. On that score...it is a godsend. 

Best,

Howie

I thought if Hexy re-signed Kimo, it would mean that he thinks we are close, and wants to make sure the veteran influence is there for a long playoff run. This was the right move, as long as the bonus stuff is not an easy threshold to cross. As it is, we will have to keep the cash on hand, just in case he does make the bonus money.

I just hope they don't get hit with a penalty like Boston did with Iggy this past season with his bonus hope Hexy has done his homework....not afterwards like Homer.

If its because the bonuses surround a +10 or greater, 15 goals and 30 assists, I would be fine. Also, a 2m in a penalty hit is allot more digestible than 4.5 million. 

But The guy really seems like he's just about ready to move on.

I don't think move on as much as watch his kids grow. He has inferred over the past season that his decision to continue playing will depend allot on his family. He really wants to go back to finland and finish raising them there (no pun intended). :-)

I guess this is okay if it's $2 million and the bonus money isn't actually just delayed salary - we'll have to see the details. But I don't know if I like a roster spot going to a 39-year old, even Kimmo Timonen who I like and respect a lot.

Then again I'm basing that on hope - hoping that at least 1 or 2 AHL guys are ready - Lauridsen, maybe Manning. If they're not, fine. But if they are I think we should've passed on Timonen. We should be going younger, faster D-men at this point. Timonen's smart positional play can only mask his tired legs just so much.

But the main reason like I said, I want to see Ollie in the lineup. Did he have a bad year or what? When he was with the Flyers I thought he looked ready, ready as he'll ever be, and to progress further he'd have to face the best players in the world - in the NHL.

• Like 1