New York Rangers year in review

yave1964

PRESASON OUTLOOK

The Rangers essentially traded coaches with the Canucks, hope was that Vignault could put this odd assortment of talent together to make a deep run.

FINAL RECORD

45-31-6 96 points 2nd place in the Metropolitan division

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR

Chris Kreider had 27 points at home, and only 10 all year on the road. Rick Nash had 26 goals in 65 games an average of a goal every 2 1/2 games, and then he scored 3 goals in 25 past season games for a average of a goal every 8 games. Yuck.

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR

Conference finals, game one, when Kreider ran into Carey Price knocking him out of the series and essentially handing the conference title to the Rangers.

LOW POINT

Stanley Cup finals games one and two, two consecutive games the Rangers blew 2 goal leads and lost the games. Essentially the series ended with game 2.

WHAT WENT RIGHT

Ryan McDonagh established himself as a near premier offensive d-man. Mats Zuccarello had a wonderful season and led the team in scoring. Derek Stepan (20-37-57) was a solid center. Cam Talbot established himself as one of the leagues best backup goalies. Rick Nash led the team with 26 goals.

WHAT WENT WRONG

The elephant in the room that nobody talks about is Lundqvist was very, very average. The other elephant in the room was Marty St. Louis was not good, with only 1 goal in 19 regular season games. Rick Nash was inconsistent. Marc Staal was okay but nothing more. Overall this club had a bunch of average players who neither over nor under performed.

MVP

I am going with McDonagh. He solidified the blue line and the other candidates did not distinguish themselves.

UFA's

Benoit Pouliot

Brian Boyle

Dominic Moore

Anton Stralman

OFFSEASON QUESTIONS

How soon will they buy out Richards? Are they one of the top teams in the East or was this a lucky run? Rick Nash, is the erosion reversible?

No 1st or 2nd last year....and because the Rangers made the finals this year, they must pay this years 1st (2014) and next years 1st (2015)....so a big gaping hole will be viewable in the coming years, with no first rounders for 3 straight years. Perhaps JT.Miller or Danny Kristo will step in and provide some youthful exuberance, but the cupboard is basically bare and it will get far worse before it gets better.

Good! That's what I like to hear!

Preach brother bwahahaha!!

Ok seriously, credit for a great run, but....yeah that's about all the nice things I can say without choking on my own bile. I have no class and no apologies

• Like 1