Coburn to Edmonton for...?

RonJeremy

Check out the articlein bleacher report, it says Oilers want Coburn and it named Kleifbom or Marincin, two top defensive prospects that the Oilers could be offering. Our defense is weak and slow ,I can't see us trading our second best defenseman and best puck mover,.....

If it is true and we are offerin( Coburn.... If Edmonton wants him that bad, I would take nothing less than Darnell Nurse. Trading Coburn wold set us back, in the present but would payoff In future when Nurse is ready. I guess if we trade him we can free up money and sign Niskanen to replace him.

Edited by radoran
merged threads and renamed

Something tells me they will not be giving up Nurse for Coburn.

Losing Coburn would kill this dedense unless they are sure someone can jump in and play big minutes and no one on the current roster fits that bill IMO. Losing Coburn would make this defense utterly slow and extremely bad.

I have read that the oilers are seriously looking at Phaneuf too.

Edited by murraycraven

I would do this if and only if it's BOTH prospects AND the Flyers have a replacement in mind for the next two years.

Coburn's cap is $4.5M so that's pretty much what they would be working with. Does Niskanen (sp?) come for that? Dunno.

But if we're getting BOTH prospects I strongly consider it

• Like 1

Nisk is going to get his payday and I don't see him signing for less than 6m a year. Someone is going to overpay for him.

To consider the deal the Flyers have to acquire a good dman that is NHL ready. Even if one of the kids can play this year they are going to need someone to eat minutes. Kimmo is no longer that person... Streit and AMac will be getting too many minutes and the other two pylons are not going to help playing large minutes....

Edited by murraycraven

If the Oilers are willing to do both prospects I still strongly consider it and fill in coburn's position on the free agent market. Our defense is going to suck with or without him so it might as well suck for less money and start building the prospects for down the road.

If MacDonald got $5 then you have to think Niskanen is worth at least $11 ;)

I'm only moving him for Nurse. Why would you resign Kimmo just to make your team a non-playoff contender? You're taking a cap hit next season to keep a guy for a run so why trade an NHL ready D man for anything less than their top defensive prospect?

Then again I never know what they're going to do.

• Like 1

I'm only moving him for Nurse. Why would you resign Kimmo just to make your team a non-playoff contender? You're taking a cap hit next season to keep a guy for a run so why trade an NHL ready D man for anything less than their top defensive prospect?

I'd listen to an offer for Klefbom and their 3rd overall but you'd have to sweeten even more because the Flyers would be offering their best Dman and don't forget Coburn was an 8th overall himself and is in his prime too...it would have to been more than that.....cause this would realistically set the Flyers back some.

• Like 3

Exactly grumpster.....the whole reason behind re-signing Kimmo was to make a run at it. You might see a d-man traded if a younger prospect makes an impressive run during camp, but it would be Grossmann, not Coburn.

Gotta disagree with the Coburn for Nurse angle. No way on God's green earth does Coburn fetch a prospect like Nurse. Edmonton would never do that. I know top 4 experienced d-men can bring a decent haul in a trade, but Nurse just has to much upside for that trade to occur.

A more realistic offer would be Nurse and Gagner for Coburn, Raffl and our 1st this year. Nurse would fill a huge hole, a projected top 2 d-man who can run a power play and play big minutes late in games (eventually). Gagner improves team speed, I think he needs a change in teams to realize his full potential pts wise, he is still only 24. Maybe convert him to LW, which would address another big org need, LW scoring.

Coburn is from Alberta ,he has a home there, i think he would, like to be there

I think he'd prefer to be on a winning team.

If he was 36 with his name on the Cup, sure, then things like that come into play.

Well, I'm in the minority here, but I'd make the trade and wouldn't think twice about it. Coburn is a million dollar talent with a 10 cent brain. From the neck down, he's an all world defender with size, skill and skating ability. The problem is everything neck up. Every year, Coburn has a stretch of 15 to 20 games where he stinks up the joint, 10 to 15 games of mediocre play and then 30 to 45 games where he's an all world defender. I've read every excuse ever made about the guy ("he needs an offensive defenseman to pair with him to make him effective", "he's not a lead pairing defender - he's a better complimentary player", "he always starts out slow but is in beast mode come playoff time") and yet, every time two of the three are tried with Coburn (pairing him with an offensive defenseman or pairing him with someone where Coburn can be the complimentary player, he's come up short every time and people have blamed the other players who were partnered with Coburn. I've tried to like the guy, but honestly, I'm all for shipping him out and letting him be someone else's problem.

As for those who are convinced that this team will tank without Coburn, I think the young guys would probably exceed most people's expectations. What I don't understand is that a team can have a very good and talented group of defensive prospects, but the moment that those prospects need to step in to replace a veteran, everyone then backpedals and doesn't think the younger guys can do the job. At some point, you can't shield the young guys and you have to run with them. As a franchise, the Flyers have been so reluctant to do it with young defensemen that it really baffles me as to why. If you've got a 19, 20, 21, 22 year old that's ready, they're ready. No amount of shielding is going to protect them and in fact, it's probably doing more harm because they aren't seeing the quality of competition they need to see in order to grow and prosper. Instead, they face inferior competition and they end up developing bad habits. If you're going to put young guys into the lineup, sometimes you've got to throw them into the fire, especially if it's young defensemen.

@BobbyClarkeFan16

Coburn has a lot to offer...and a lot to dislike. He's also our best defenceman. Bringing up a guy like Morin or Ghost at this point would likely destroy their confidence. Trading Coburn for a prospect might work out, might not. If Klefbom can't make the Oilers D at this point he sure as heck isn't making the Flyers.

I'm all for shipping him out and letting him be someone else's problem.

I think the issue from your standpoint is that Coburn will never be the 10 million dollar talent that some thought he would be years ago.  He is not that player but the fact remains he is better than nearly every defensman on the current roster.  He is the #1 or #2 on the Flyers d core right now.  He is on a favorable contract compared to others of his skill set as well.

Coburn plays in every situation and logs a ton of ice time as well.   Like I said previously the Flyers would need to find another dman that will play in every situation and log a ton of ice.  

If we trade Coburn I want no part of Schenn, Kimmo, and/or Grossman taking on additional ice time.   If you go the free agent route you will be paying more for a player that is probably not as good as Coburn.  To me it makes no sense to trade Coburn b/c you are going to force other defensemen to play more minutes and his cap hit is very decent.

Now, if you can pry Nurse from them I would do it but that is not happening.  

• Like 2

Well, I'm in the minority here, but I'd make the trade and wouldn't think twice about it. Coburn is a million dollar talent with a 10 cent brain. From the neck down, he's an all world defender with size, skill and skating ability. The problem is everything neck up. Every year, Coburn has a stretch of 15 to 20 games where he stinks up the joint, 10 to 15 games of mediocre play and then 30 to 45 games where he's an all world defender. I've read every excuse ever made about the guy ("he needs an offensive defenseman to pair with him to make him effective", "he's not a lead pairing defender - he's a better complimentary player", "he always starts out slow but is in beast mode come playoff time") and yet, every time two of the three are tried with Coburn (pairing him with an offensive defenseman or pairing him with someone where Coburn can be the complimentary player, he's come up short every time and people have blamed the other players who were partnered with Coburn. I've tried to like the guy, but honestly, I'm all for shipping him out and letting him be someone else's problem.

Well bro you are preaching to the choir here (Coburn is my whipping boy) i have been aggravated with him for years now for reason you list. Just watch the boneheaded plays he made in the Rangers series 2 of them lead to huge goals. But i need to know what is coming back before i ok moving him and by default he is the Flyers best Dman.

For instance i need for example from the Oliers for him: Klefbom and their 3rd overall pick to start with...and it will more than likely take Marincin too.

Because Coburn was an 8th overall as well and is in his prime so this would be the start of the trade..and if someone says it's to steep for Coburn then that is fine we keep Coburn.

Because someone will have to pick up Coburns slack and the Flyers don't have anyone ready for that yet i think....so it would set them back.

For instance i need for example from the Oliers for him: Klefbom and their 3rd overall pick to start with...and it will more than likely take Marincin too.

If the Flyers gave up 3rd overall, Ghost and Alt for Coburn, I think we'd all around here have a collective heart attack.

If the Flyers gave up 3rd overall, Ghost and Alt for Coburn, I think we'd all around here have a collective heart attack.

Well yeah because we know Coburn and his limits Oilers don't quite know that yet...but they will.

Ok i'll re do the offer then Klefbom, 3rd overall and Mitchell Moroz for Coburn.

Is Klefbom really that good of a prospect to deal a good defenseman for? I can empathize on some of the dislike for Coburn but if he left it would cause a huge hole in the lineup on d...

Klefbom is not what I would demand. To me it is Nurse or bust... End the of story.

Posted · Hidden by brelic, June 17, 2014 - Duplicate
Hidden by brelic, June 17, 2014 - Duplicate

Is Klefbom really that good of a prospect to deal a good defenseman for? I can empathize on some of the dislike for Coburn but if he left it would cause a huge hole in the lineup on d...

Klefbom is not what I would demand. To me it is Nurse or bust... End the of story.

Is Klefbom really that good of a prospect to deal a good defenseman for?

Key word...propsect......for a proven Dman that plays against the other teams best night in and night out.

He is just 20 and has played all of 20 NHL games. So it would be Coburn as i suggested with a damn good deal for 2 more years for 3 prospects. I think its a fair and going rate for #2 Dmen.

I can empathize on some of the dislike for Coburn but if he left it would cause a huge hole in the lineup on d...

And also why i don't really want to trade Coburn it would make a hole...so if they really want him it's gonna cost. Opinions vary.

Edited by OccamsRazor

The Oilers are extremely high on Klefbom. He's a nice combination of size, speed and skill, can really skate, makes smart passes, and is considered to be well above defensively for his age (has been playing pro since he was 16). In his 17 NHL games last season, he had the toughest zone starts, and was still a +1 CorsiRel. That's huge for a 20 year old player, and is suggestive of a future. My big issue with Klefbom: he's been hurt nearly every year, always in some freaky way. Injuries are pretty much THE big thing that derail young careers.

Nurse? I just can't see the club doing that, especially since MacTavish has already said he's quite prepared to let him remain in junior and then the AHL for as long as it takes to properly develop him.

All that said, what's really in it for the Flyers to trade Coburn for Klefbom or Marincin? Klefbom IS a very nice prospect, and Marincin (even though he had an amazing rookie year) isn't a sure bet by any means? They would gain cap space and youth, but not much else.

Edited by JR Ewing

@Ocamsrazor,  I like your line of thinking... If we can get Klefbom and Edmontons third pick for Coburn, Id do that In a heartbeat.  Then we can package, our 17th pick ,Edmontons 3rd pick and Cousins or Laugton  for Fla' s pick. Then we get Klefbom and Ekblad two NHL ready defensemen, and we can go for a left winger in the second round.  Or we can still trade B Schenn or Laughton for a first rounder in this draft, but only if it gives us a shot at a top left winger, so I guess it would have to be a top 10 pick

Well yeah because we know Coburn and his limits Oilers don't quite know that yet...but they will.

Ok i'll re do the offer then Klefbom, 3rd overall and Mitchell Moroz for Coburn.

You know they record all ghe games and GMs can watch them, right?

I wouldn't give the third overall straight up for Coburn.

• Like 1