If Mike Richards gets bought out, should the Flyers try to sign him?

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/6/10/5797400/mike-richards-buyout-kings-flyers-nhl-free-agency-2014

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/could-the-kings-really-buy-out-mike-richards-this-summer/

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/28/mike-richards-buyout-candidate/

I have been reading this on several websites. Seems like LA fans realy don't care for him that much. Carter has seemed to thrive in LA but Richy really has dropped off in LA. Philly won that trade hands down. Would we want him if LA buys him out I am on the fence with this one. If philly can get rid of Vinny and have Richy center Scott and Akeson would not be bad. 

@FlyersFan4Life  Problem is, if LA buys him out, there could be a little battle to sign him. If enough teams are interested, he could drive his asking price up to 4 mill a year, and considering his injury problems, I'd be a little hesitant to commit that much cap space to a guy who really can't be counted on. Like most of us predicted, Mike's frame is to small to play the gritty game he has to employ if he's to be effective. Sadly, I think the injuries will be a regular thing with Mike...so gotta pass.

• Like 2

@FlyersFan4Life  Problem is, if LA buys him out, there could be a little battle to sign him. If enough teams are interested, he could drive his asking price up to 4 mill a year, and considering his injury problems, I'd be a little hesitant to commit that much cap space to a guy who really can't be counted on. Like most of predicted, Mike's frame is to small to play the gritty game he has to employ if he's to be effective. Sadly, I think the injuries will be a regular thing with Mike...so gotta pass.

I do agree to a point unless he came cheap which prolly wont happen, I just want to see a winger for roo and a solid d man if they can get one Matt Niskanen maybe which would be a stretch

I do agree to a point unless he came cheap which prolly wont happen, I just want to see a winger for roo and a solid d man if they can get one Matt Niskanen maybe which would be a stretch

Where do you play Richards?

There is simply no place he fits on the Flyers.

Nothing against Mike Richards, but I really hope that Flyers stop signing UFAs and focus on building from what they have.  Mike Richards had his time in Philadelphia and there were good moments, but it is time to move forward, not backward.

• Like 1

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/6/10/5797400/mike-richards-buyout-kings-flyers-nhl-free-agency-2014

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/could-the-kings-really-buy-out-mike-richards-this-summer/

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/28/mike-richards-buyout-candidate/

I have been reading this on several websites. Seems like LA fans realy don't care for him that much. Carter has seemed to thrive in LA but Richy really has dropped off in LA. Philly won that trade hands down. Would we want him if LA buys him out I am on the fence with this one. If philly can get rid of Vinny and have Richy center Scott and Akeson would not be bad. 

Maybe we won that trade but letting Williams go was bad when he went to Carolina and it is still bad. Anybody remember what we got for him?

Philly won that trade hands down.

Philly got the better players. LA got two Cups.

We report, you decide - which would you prefer?

Because 27 out of 10 LA fans "lose" that trade eight days a week and six times on Sunday.

If philly can get rid of Vinny and have Richy center Hartnell and Akeson would not be bad.

So you're assuming a $9M fourth line? That's just simply never going to happen.

and considering his injury problems, I'd be a little hesitant to commit that much cap space to a guy who really can't be counted on. Like most of predicted, Mike's frame is to small to play the gritty game he has to employ if he's to be effective. Sadly, I think the injuries will be a regular thing with Mike...so gotta pass.

has he had ongoing injury problems?  unless i'm reading it wrong, it looks like he has missed....8 games, total, since going to LA?  and all of those were three years ago.  

unless i'm missing something re: injury problems, and unless the price starts getting too far north of $4mil, personally i'd like to see richards back.  

edit:  seriously, looking at it, he's missed all of 12 games in the last 6 seasons.  averaging 2 injured games per season?  that's kind of amazing.

Edited by aziz

@aziz  He had repairs to both shoulders after the Flyers 2010 run, and has played hurt in LA with shoulder injuries the past few years. Even though he has not missed a ton of games, the injuries have been there. I think the injuries played a big part of him being demoted to the 4th line. A healthy Richards should have been able to beat out Jarret Stoll for 2nd or 3rd line duties. His role decreased each year in LA...not exactly the kind of ringing endorsement you'd want to hear when contemplating signing a guy moving into the twilight of his career. Plus, you effectively block the way for Laughton. You don't win the cap game by continually investing in older guys and ignoring the up and coming talent. That's not even mentioning the fact that Richards presence would impeded the growth of Cooter, who would be looking to play the same role as a present day Richards.

Plus, you effectively block the way for Laughton

That implies that there is a clear "way" to be blocked for Laughton.

Giroux, Schenn and Couturier are all ahead of Laughton on the depth chart and at least two of the three - I'm looking at Giroux and Couturier - will continue to be.

Under that scenario - assuming Schenn isn't the 2nd line center he has been seen as virtually forever - and if Couturier then has the offensive upside many envision, there isn't a 1/2 slot for Laughton for the forseeable future. Given that Laughton's "upside" seems to be on the offensive side, I simply don't see "the way" for Laughton on the Flyers at the center position regardless of whether Richards is re-signed (he almost definitely won't be) or not.

Laughton has to even begin to show he can play in this league before anyone should be "worried" about whether or not his "way" is "blocked."

Where do you play Richards?

There is simply no place he fits on the Flyers.

After Vinny is traded there will be an opening  on the Fourth line... Richards is an experienced 4th liner.   ;)

• Like 1

After Vinny is traded there will be an opening  on the Fourth line... Richards is an experienced 4th liner.   ;)

Toodat. But Homer's gone so hopefully the Flyers don't replace a $4.5M problem with a $4M one...

:ph34r:

Laughton has to even begin to show he can play in this league before anyone should be "worried" about whether or not his "way" is "blocked."

Well, I don't think things are quite that simple. If you have no forethought, no vision of the future, you'd have every roster spot tied up till the year 2017...but that is never the case. At some time, you have to trust the scouts, he was a 1st round selection because they believed he would be an everyday player, and he has done nothing to impede that line of thinking. The way I'm thinking....Laughton showed he belonged in his short 8 game audition with the Flyers. The only question is, how much impact will he have offensively, he's a proven commodity in his play without the puck and has a great defensive game in his back pocket to fall back on. I guar-en-damn-tee Laughton will be an NHL player, the only thing to be decided is his slotting. He could be anything from an energy 4th liner to 80 pt 2nd line center.....I'd lean towards the latter, with somewhere inbetween being his true value.

At some time, you have to trust the scouts, he was a 1st round selection because they believed he would be an everyday player, and he has done nothing to impede that line of thinking

If we "trust the scouts" then BSchenn is the 2nd line center...

The question then is - can Laughton play wing?

Gagne came out as a center and made his NHL name as a wing.

Either way, Laughton's not pencilled in as a Flyers center for quite a while...

@radoran  That's a good question, and one I don't have an answer to. I kind of envision him as a natural center, but I thought the exact same thing about Grioux after watching him in the World Jr's.....so my opinion is basically moot on the subject....lol.

Philly got the better players. LA got two Cups.

We report, you decide - which would you prefer?

Because 27 out of 10 LA fans "lose" that trade eight days a week and six times on Sunday.

So you're assuming a $9M fourth line? That's just simply never going to happen.

I guess I'd rather have Quick, Kopitar, Doughty, and Brown.

Carter and Richards played big roles in bringing 2 Cups to LA, but using the Cups as the determining factor as to who "won the trade" is kind of pointless. We traded 2 good players and got back 4 good players. Those 2 players helped them get over the hump and the 4 new guys are rebuilding our core.

Carter and Richards didn't swoop in and rescue the Kings out of nothing and lead them to a Cup. They played roles and added depth. This year Carter was instrumental in them winning but it's not the same picture Carchidi likes to paint.

People make it seem really cut and dry like Carter and Richards won "our Cup" in LA. That's not what happened.