If Mike Richards gets bought out, should the Flyers try to sign him?

That just raises the bar in terms of "who won the trades" which, AGAIN, I think the Flyers got the better players out of.

So, it's really not just one "mistake" - it was a continual cascade of bad decisions.

I just can't get behind this at all. I am not being a stepford here, but c'mon. The flyers choose to fish or cut bait. They cut bait. I am not protecting the organization for their stupidity in many areas or their acumen in others. The first cup was predominantly Quicks cup. Nobody can deny that. Carter / Richards contributed as cogs in the wheel- behind Brown, Doughty, Kopitar and others.

This year, Carter shined. I think in large part that he finally got a coach that kicked him the ass enough to get him going (and Stevens was baking him cakes behind the scenes so he could lick his wounds).

9 pts separated Richards and Carter in the regular season. But the Stolls of the world make Richards obsolete on that team when Carter is more defensively able than Richards (I know an oxymoron).

Richards game has always been a salt / pepper game sprinkled in with some talent.

If Boosh doesn't get hurt, the Flyers win that Cup. Just like if Quick got hurt those two years, LA is at zero. The Pronger deal was solid, despite what can only be described as Flyers luck.

Oh well. Off to next season.

• Like 1

@murraycraven

My first post in this thread....you can ignore the thread but if others want to discuss it why the heck not? It's going to be a long summer. We have the draft, then a lame looking FA day. It's either stuff like this or Rux starting Amish threads everywhere.

@murraycraven

My first post in this thread....you can ignore the thread but if others want to discuss it why the heck not? It's going to be a long summer. We have the draft, then a lame looking FA day. It's either stuff like this or Rux starting Amish threads everywhere.

I get it FC but I rather have the Amish threads! ;)

This thing has been beaten to death, reborn, and then beaten to death again... and again... and again... and again.

Richards is not coming back.  Richards will not want to come back.   Just listen to his interview on the ice after the cup and you can tell he is still salty about being traded. 

To me this is where the Pens fans are right about us being whiny fans.   Get over it - they moved on and won the cup!  (not you, in general)

Sorry... it is Monday morning and I have not had coffee... just a bit surly this morning.

If Boosh doesn't get hurt, the Flyers win that Cup

Lets not forget that Leighton had 3 straight shutouts in the Canadians series....which to this date hasn't been done again. Leigthon was ok and did ok after taking over for the injured Booch.

The problem with Leighton that pisses me off till this date is he was hurt and didn't tell anyone that was selfish as hell and maybe why they lost that finals he couldn't move and it was obvious something was ailing him

Truth be told, I think Doughty is better than Pronger.

Sure, but you have to admit that Pronger (among others) represents more than a little "supporting cast" for the "dynamic duo"

I just can't get behind this at all. I am not being a stepford here, but c'mon. The flyers choose to fish or cut bait. They cut bait.

Right, but the 2010 Final did happen. They did get to the Final. The Flyers, having bought a boat, tackle and line, sailed out into the deep water and... decided to cut bait.

I said at the time - I say so now and will maintain - that the organization took a couple steps back, but were in good position to move forward after the young core the picked up after discarding the young core they had got the experience they just dealt away.

Now it's fishing time again for the organization - the time for the young core to be more than potential. If that young core doesn't produce a championship (or even get to a Final), I am hard pressed to agree with any assertion that the Flyers "won" the trades that resulted in another team winning two Cups while they don't even reach the Final. Despite getting the "better players" out of the deals. (I am aware that Crater was not traded directly to LA)

YMMV - which is fair.

The Flyers, having bought a boat, tackle and line, sailed out into the deep water and... decided to cut bait

I guess the deep water would be the following year verse the Sabres that started the landslide the way Lavy handled the goaltending situation and honestly what screwed them up mentally for the following series. Lavy sealed their fate....with his constant flip flop in net and juggling of lines....he panicked and they smelled it.

Edit: And that it what set off the light bulb in Snider's head about Bryz....regardless how bad a choice that was.

Edited by OccamsRazor

I said at the time - I say so now and will maintain - that the organization took a couple steps back, but were in good position to move forward after the young core the picked up after discarding the young core they had got the experience they just dealt away.

right, wrong, or indifferent, I am of the position that your team is built from the goal line outward. it has allot to do with how the team plays in front. the flyers did not have that guy when the "dynamic" duo were here. 

• Like 1