Hextall on B. Schenn

brelic

Not much of a ringing endorsement, is it?

“I have not talked to him as of yet, but hopefully in the next few days we’ll have our first discussion,” Hextall said. “Brayden’s our top priority in terms of wanting to get a guy signed, but there’s no real timeline there where you say this has got to happen by July 15 or July 30. It’s something that who knows how long it could go on.”

Of course, Hextall says Brayden is the top priority just as he works out a deal with Timonen first ;)

Hextall's got the ol' Clarkean double-speak down pat!

@brelic

In fairness Timonens already made his money. It was probably one of the easiest contracts Hextall will sign outside of an ELC. Schenn hasn't earned a big payday, but like all of us would likely want a raise.

That's a good point. I was hoping that as an RFA with not much leverage in terms of his actual performance (slow and steady progression; no breakout stats), it would be relatively simple. 

@brelic

Well the not-so-simple part is obviously agreeing on what's a fair raise, and for how long? His original ELC made him look overpaid because of unattainable bonus'. Heck a lot of people on here thought he was making over 3 million a year when in reality he made less than $900,000. So does he sign for one year and try and earn a bigger payday? Or does hextall want to sign him for a few hoping to get a steal the last year or two?

@brelic

Well the not-so-simple part is obviously agreeing on what's a fair raise, and for how long? His original ELC made him look overpaid because of unattainable bonus'. Heck a lot of people on here thought he was making over 3 million a year when in reality he made less than $900,000. So does he sign for one year and try and earn a bigger payday? Or does hextall want to sign him for a few hoping to get a steal the last year or two?

Not a dime over 2 mill a year for him.

4 years 9.5 mill deal. set up like this... 2.0 mill---- 2.25 mill-----2.5 mill---- 2.75 mill........i think that is fair takes him to the UFA days.

Not a dime over 2 mill a year for him.

4 years 9.5 mill deal. set up like this... 2.0 mill---- 2.25 mill-----2.5 mill---- 2.75 mill........i think that is fair takes him to the UFA days.

I would love that deal but realistically I think he is going to be on a 2 year deal.  If his agent was smart he would keep the deal short to try and cash in early if Schenn's play warrants a raise.

I would love that deal but realistically I think he is going to be on a 2 year deal.  If his agent was smart he would keep the deal short to try and cash in early if Schenn's play warrants a raise.

That's true. On the other hand, the "best player not in the NHL" hasn't developed as quickly as many people expected. He's still young, of course, but there are players his age that have surged past him, including guys like Kadri ($2.9M/year, 2 years), O'Reilly ($5M/year, 2 years), and Craig Smith ($2M/year, 2 years).

So maybe a longer deal with more guaranteed money is better for his situation if he fails to breakout in any significant way. In other words, he might be closer to 4 years away from breaking out rather than 2, which gives him more financial security in the short term.

LOL, I can't believe I used "financial security" for a guy making millions of dollars. 

Redonkulous.

Am I incorrect, but I thought players had to be 27 years old to become a UFA?  If so, a 2 year deal doesn't get him there.  Or does he auto-qualify since it would be his 2nd NHL contract, even though he's younger than 27?  

Not sure about any of this stuff anymore, given the new CBA.

That's true. On the other hand, the "best player not in the NHL" hasn't developed as quickly as many people expected. He's still young, of course, but there are players his age that have surged past him, including guys like Kadri ($2.9M/year, 2 years), O'Reilly ($5M/year, 2 years), and Craig Smith ($2M/year, 2 years).

So maybe a longer deal with more guaranteed money is better for his situation if he fails to breakout in any significant way. In other words, he might be closer to 4 years away from breaking out rather than 2, which gives him more financial security in the short term.

LOL, I can't believe I used "financial security" for a guy making millions of dollars. 

Redonkulous.

very good point.   I am just in the line of thinking that we should not overpay for potential in this case.  and btw, I still think he is going to be traded :P

I wouldn't say those three have surged past Schenn. I think Schenn has performed admirably when you consider that the Flyers have bounced him all over the lineup and in different forward spots. He still put up good numbers in his third year and while O'Reilly posted better numbers in his third year, I don't think it's been anything to write home about. I say once Schenn gets more than 16 minutes of ice time per game, we'll really see what he can do. I don't think a 30 goal - 60 point season wouldn't be a stretch at all.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say those three have surged past Schenn. I think Schenn has performed admirably when you consider that the Flyers have bounced him all over the lineup and in different forward spots. He still put up good numbers in his third year and while O'Reilly posted better numbers in his third year, I don't think it's been anything to write home about. I say once Schenn gets more than 16 minutes of ice time per game, we'll really see what he can do. I don't think a 30 goal - 60 point season wouldn't be a stretch at all.

Maybe that is in the cards for him. But he hasn't reached that level. He is underwhelming compared to the three I mentioned. So why would he get more money?

Draft position only gets you so far. At some point you have to produce.

• Like 1

He's a goner!

Sure seems like Edmonton is trying to just stir up trouble and controversy in Philly real bad....there is someone there they seem to want bad.

"As mentioned, Philadelphia is in the toughest spot, already at $66.5 million per year, and the Flyers will want to sign Brayden Schenn and maybe also Steve Downie. Possibles in a trade? Jakub Voracek, $4.25 million per year for two years, Wayne Simmonds, $3.97 million a year for five years, Braydon Coburn, $4.5 million per year for two years, Luke Schenn, $3.6 million a year for two years, and Nicklas Grossman, $3.5 million per year for two years."

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/06/16/edmonton-oilers-should-target-philadelphia-flyer-chicago-blackhawks-and-boston-bruins-for-a-david-perron-like-trade/

....not sure why they are doing this....but i feel they have an agenda.

No smoke here. Mountain out of a mole hill. 

I disagree. It's not a "mountain" but it's certainly more than a mole hill. GMs are very well trained in how they speak to the media and how they say things. It's a "priority" but, you know, we haven't spoken yet; there's no "timeline", and he's the first guy we want to get signed, but you know, after Timonen with whom we've already had conversations.

Again, I wasn't trying to blow it out of proportion, but it sounds to me like a bit of doublespeak. Keeping their options open and saying the right things while being non-committal. 

It would be a huge mistake to give up on Schenn.

There is plenty of dead weight on this team to try to unload. Hopefully there are teams looking to get up to the salary floor next season with whom the Flyers can make some deals.

There is plenty of dead weight on this team to try to unload.

Unfortunately the biggest "loads" have full NMCs (VLC, Hartnell) or modified NTCs (Grossmann). LSchenn's modified NTC doesn't kick in until 15-16.

I think we can presume that aside from LSchenn, none of those guys is approving a deal to a team looking to get to the "salary floor."

Aside from that - and Hartnell and Grossmann could be debateable to an extent - there's not a lot of "dead weight" I can see currently signed on the roster (presuming they aren't dissatisfied with the New York Islanders' top pair on defense).

Jay Rosehill? $675K. 

Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek, Read, Couturier, Rinaldo (that's your signed forwards along with VLC, Hartnell and Rosehill)

Streit, MacDonald, Coburn, Timonen. (LSchenn, Grossmann) - there's your defense.

Where's all this "dead weight"?

Sure seems like Edmonton is trying to just stir up trouble and controversy in Philly real bad....there is someone there they seem to want bad.

"As mentioned, Philadelphia is in the toughest spot, already at $66.5 million per year, and the Flyers will want to sign Brayden Schenn and maybe also Steve Downie. Possibles in a trade? Jakub Voracek, $4.25 million per year for two years, Wayne Simmonds, $3.97 million a year for five years, Braydon Coburn, $4.5 million per year for two years, Luke Schenn, $3.6 million a year for two years, and Nicklas Grossman, $3.5 million per year for two years."

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/06/16/edmonton-oilers-should-target-philadelphia-flyer-chicago-blackhawks-and-boston-bruins-for-a-david-perron-like-trade/

....not sure why they are doing this....but i feel they have an agenda.

Hmmm, so if a team is tight against the cap the best moves to make are your players that have the most cap friendly hits? Makes sense....if you want to pick top 3 ...EVERY....SINGLE....YEAR!

Hmmm, so if a team is tight against the cap the best moves to make are your players that have the most cap friendly hits? Makes sense....if you want to pick top 3 ...EVERY....SINGLE....YEAR!

To be fair, it's been a long time since Edmonton writers have had to cover a legitimate NHL franchise...

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Not to mention, I doubt Hextall wants to sign Downie. Flyers are fine cap-wise if they want to stay the course. If they want to make a significant improvement, then they'll need to make a move, but I think they'd buy out Vinny before moving Simmonds or Jake just for cap room.