Hextall on B. Schenn

brelic

Not to mention, I doubt Hextall wants to sign Downie. Flyers are fine cap-wise if they want to stay the course. If they want to make a significant improvement, then they'll need to make a move, but I think they'd buy out Vinny before moving Simmonds or Jake just for cap room.

They structured the contract to make it a more poisoned pill to buy out VLC.

CAP HITS (capgeek)

• 2014-15: $1,500,000
  • 2015-16: $3,000,000
  • 2016-17: $3,000,000
  • 2017-18: $2,500,000
  • 2018-19: $1,000,000
  • 2019-20: $1,000,000
  • 2020-21: $1,000,000
  • 2021-22: $1,000,000

He's making $6M last year and next, so there is a bigger cap advantage recapture involved.

Here's a buyout after next season:

• 2015-16: $2,888,889
  • 2016-17: $2,888,889
  • 2017-18: $2,388,889
  • 2018-19: $888,889
  • 2019-20: $888,889
  • 2020-21: $888,889

I concur that buying out VLC is a smarter action than trading either of Simmonds or Voracek, but it would just magnify the idiocy of the initial signing.

But even with the change at the top, IMO they will go a LOOOONG way to avoid that happening.

Not to mention, I doubt Hextall wants to sign Downie. Flyers are fine cap-wise if they want to stay the course. If they want to make a significant improvement, then they'll need to make a move, but I think they'd buy out Vinny before moving Simmonds or Jake just for cap room.

I caught that too...   If Hexy signs Downie he really deserves a kick in the balls.  

It's not really that bad if you consider that to trade him, they may very well need to retain half of his hit for the next four years. A standard buyout would save them 750k this year, then cost them the same amount extra over the next two years, which would be cushioned by the cap increasing. It's a bit tricky because Jake and Couturier are up for raises in year 3, but once the cap is announced for next season I think Hextall will have a good sense of what will happen in the near future. It then comes back into line (250k more) before reducing to 1 million for four years. That hurts some, but that's when you would be shedding Streit, Hartnell, and maybe even Read (depending on production at 32), hopefully in favor of guys on significantly cheaper ELC or RFA contracts, so it will be easier to manage. Is it the best option? No, the best option is Trading Vinny and his entire cap hit, regardless of return. The cap space and the loss of the distraction are the most favorable returns regardless. I just don't know that that can happen. So the question becomes, is that extra 750k this year worth losing an extra 750k next year and the year after. Depending on Hextall's plan, it may well be.

Hmmm, so if a team is tight against the cap the best moves to make are your players that have the most cap friendly hits? Makes sense....if you want to pick top 3 ...EVERY....SINGLE....YEAR!

These guys to me caught wind of something more likely than anything the Oilers were contacting the Flyers about the availability of some players and then purposely turned around and leaked it just to stir the pot....creating their own drama just so someone is just talking about the Oilers.

Maybe they should draft Johnny Manziel hell it worked for the Browns....he is the only reason anyone is talking about the Browns....non stop.  

These guys to me caught wind of something more likely than anything the Oilers were contacting the Flyers about the availability of some players and then purposely turned around and leaked it just to stir the pot....creating their own drama just so someone is just talking about the Oilers

Exactly. Why on earth would Hexy be entertaining thoughts of trading Simmer? Keep the rumor mill flowin' to sell papers....er, keep up wewbsite visits. Non-story

Exactly. Why on earth would Hexy be entertaining thoughts of trading Simmer? Keep the rumor mill flowin' to sell papers....er, keep up wewbsite visits. Non-story

And then they put out more stuff about the Flyers trading for the #1 overall pick in this years draft....to draft Ekblad since when did they become so intuned with the Flyers plan??????

Do they have a spy behind the wall in the Flyer's camp???

I highly doubt it but man they sure seem obsessed with what the Flyers are doing or gonna do....they surely have ulterior motives i think. 

#Oilers Panel predicts host Flyers acquire Panthers top pick, draft Ekblad. Look for full @SportChek Mock Draft on http://www.edmontonoilers.com !

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/479307647079178240

Not a dime over 2 mill a year for him.

4 years 9.5 mill deal. set up like this... 2.0 mill---- 2.25 mill-----2.5 mill---- 2.75 mill........i think that is fair takes him to the UFA days.

OR was right in the ballpark with this guess last week in another Schenn thread....nice job OR!!

OR was right in the ballpark with this guess last week in another Schenn thread....nice job OR!!

Hexy called me and asked my opinion and this is what i gave him...seems he listened....nah it's more of the blind squirrel finding an acorn every now and then! :ph34r:

Edited by OccamsRazor