Kane for the Schenns?

I was reading a few tidbits from Winnipeg and Hockeybuzz (I know, I know... E5!) and thought I would throw this out to the board and get everyones take on a possible trade.

Would you (WPG) trade Evander Kane for Brayden and Luke Schenn?  Would that be enough?  We would get a LWer to play along Jake and G, and putting his off-ice issues/stupidity aside, it would create a very good line. 

If there is a defensman that could go and not really matter it would be (1) Grossman or (2) Schenn.   You can replace either in FA or bring up a kid from the farm and if I am not mistaken the math in terms of the cap would be similar.  

If you are a believer like I am you can then slot Cooter into the 2nd line center position.  Or, if VLC cant be moved he can take the Center 2 position.

Thoughts?

Edited by murraycraven

Wish as you might your not going to see any deals like that this year.

Hexy Ever-After .

No. For Kane and Bogosian yes i would do that. Brayden for Kane yes but not a two for one.

I don't think you could get Kane and Bogosian with that trade... It would take additional players IMO.

How about both Schenns and Laughton? To much? Or both Schenns and Raffle?

Edited by murraycraven

I don't think you could get Kane and Bogosian with that trade

Why not really similar type guys in the trade...i'd rather stay clear of all than and Luke is signed for 2 year @ 3.6 mill...Brayden will sign for about 2mill for a couple more year.

The Flyers would be taking on two high salary guys Kane (4 years 5.2mill) Bogo (6 year 5.1mill) so really from that stand point i'd rather keep the Schenn and their cap friendly deals IMHO.

So 10.3 mill cap hit for a 5.6 mill cap hit no way the Flyers do that but i was just making conversation....but after looking at further i want no part of that.

Yikes... Sorry for mentioning it dude. Trying to get away from the " wo is me carter/ricjards bs"...

Brayden is not signing for 2M.... Hate to break it to you but I think he is going to be looking for a minimum of 3M.

If Kane is available and Schenn wants 3m a yr I am all for the trade. Kane with G and Jake would dominate and make the first and second pp better.

Edited by murraycraven

Evander Kane is a problem child. On top of it, he's being paid five million bucks and has only put up one 30 goal season - before he got that big contract. On top of it, his locker room antics and his complete disrespect of his coach doesn't bode well. I see a young man with a sense of entitlement when he really hasn't earned anything yet. On top of it, the guy is a selfish hockey player who doesn't use his linemates well.

For all the flak that the Schenns receive, both guys are well liked in the locker room and in this day and age, that means something. Notice that when Kane was benched, not one Winnipeg player came to his defense. To me, that speaks in volumes. 

I'd rather keep Brayden and watch him break out here. He's put up very similar numbers to JVR while playing less hockey. He's ready to break out soon and to move him now would be a great detriment.

• Like 1

i'd pass that dude seems like a locker room cancer

How so?

The whole locker room seems to have problem down there. Dustin B getting charged with impaired boating, Pavelec with DUI and causing an accident. Hell, Setoguchi went to the right team. His entire work ethic disappeared when he started boozing. Its a big reason the Sharks traded him. To hear the Jets fans tell it, the whole team apparently loves to party even during the season.

Kane is a young kid, and the locker room is full of boozers instead of disciplined veterans and the media was out to get him from the get go. Winnipeg is a city of blue collar arseholes who pick apart players in the media as much as toronto or Montreal does when they are losing. They focus the media on crap that does not matter or is rumor. Hell, someone brought a sign to a game claiming he skips out on dining bills and it became a big story, even though it was proven untrue. He got a concussion he was unaware of, and it got worse as he played aother game, and the media accuses him of faking it to take time off. A shyster who picked a fight with him and got punched is trying to sue him  in BC even though the cops closed the case as bullcrap.

No he should not have tweeted that picture of himself holding money during the lockout, but he is a kid, in a locker room full of others living big on their money. If I were 21 and getting 6 million a year in this day and age of social media, I would probably tweet videos of myself doing a cannonball into a pool full of bills while beluga caviar was being rained from a sprinkler.

Winnipeg is treating him like crap, and the kid is following the leads of others on the team.

If he were UFA this year, and they offered him 10 million a year for 5 years, and offered to drive a BRINKS truck full of the money in advance to his house, and another team offered him what he makes now, i suspect he would pass just to get out of there.

Edited by J0e Th0rnton
  • Like 2

Brayden is not signing for 2M.... Hate to break it to you but I think he is going to be looking for a minimum of 3M.

What makes you say that there is no grounds to think that.

2mill is right where he should sign at that 3 mill thinking will get him traded.

The 3.1 mill ELC encentive contract really has no bearing on his next one. His base was 900K so 2mill would be more than a generous raise.

What makes you say that there is no grounds to think that.

2mill is right where he should sign at that 3 mill thinking will get him traded.

The 3.1 mill ELC encentive contract really has no bearing on his next one. His base was 900K so 2mill would be more than a generous raise.

I agree. Kadri and Craig Smith have better numbers than him, and were drafted lower than Schenn in the same draft year, and make less than $3M on 2-year bridge contracts.

Schenn has no leverage to demand anything higher than that. He simply has not performed well enough to earn more than guys from his draft class who have surpassed him.

I think this signing - if it happens - will be a good barometer for how Hexy operates.

I clicked on this think it was for Patrick Kane. 

ha ha ha

um No to a couple of guys for one guy whose twitter account is all about makin' it rain pac-man style.

pass.

I thought we were talkin Patrick too...

How goes it out in Lancaster?!

He's not going to sign a four year $2M deal that takes him into UFA - and the Flyers shouldn't really want that either.

two year bridge deal is what we are looking at and a doubling (plus) of his salary ($2M-$2.5M) should get it done.

Assuming I'm not driving them to the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls to pick up Evander Kane.

two year bridge deal

I posted a question about this in another thread, and OC confirmed...a 2 year bridge deal doesn't get him to UFA status, he has to be 27. So, I'm not sure a 2 year deal is going to work for the Schenn camp, as he will still be a RFA.

Unless I'm missing something......

I posted a question about this in another thread, and OC confirmed...a 2 year bridge deal doesn't get him to UFA status, he has to be 27. So, I'm not sure a 2 year deal is going to work for the Schenn camp, as he will still be a RFA.

His camp would rather a 2 year deal, so he can get another raise quickly, after he proves his value (theoretically).

As had been said, he had no negotiating leverage right now. He's not been especially effective, he hasn't been key to what success the Flyers have had. If he holds out, the Flyers would open the season without him just fine. So he'll take what he gets for as short a term as possible, with the idea that his next negotiations, following an 80 point breakout season, will go more in his favor.

Generally speaking, young players want short deals, so their pay can go up as the value of their contributions go up. If he were to sign a 4 year, $12m deal, and then explodes for a ton of points season after next, he's locked into relatively small pay for performance.

He may even want a 1 year deal, to be honest.

I thought we were talkin Patrick too...

How goes it out in Lancaster?!

Good man, we're making the donuts upinthis.  

happy belated father's day.

Is Evander Kane the new Bobby Ryan ?

As I understood "bridge" deals, they are designed to expire with a year left in RFA. 

It works for the club because they don't commit long term to an uncertain prospect, but retain their rights.

It works for the player because they will typically get a little more (like $2.5 vs. $2.25 for example) and be in a position where they can demand arbitration if they have emerged as a serious player and the club is still reticent to commit long term.