Matt Moulson

Samifan

TSN and Eklund, ;) are reporting Moulson really wants to go back to Buffalo? Is he just money hungry, there has to be better options out there for him.

Think he'd be a good fit on Giroux's wing?

TSN and Eklund, ;) are reporting Moulson really wants to go back to Buffalo? Is he just money hungry, there has to be better options out there for him.

Think he'd be a good fit on Giroux's wing?

I dont think he is going to be asking for the moon but I keep reading he really liked his time in Buffalo.  I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line w/ G and Jake but not sure it would work under our cap w/out shedding some salary.  

I worry that our speculations on this board will be used by the media or Flyers' management to encourage moves....seriously, there is more common sense on this board. If we sound like Nisakanen or Moulsen or whomever is a good deal...they may write about it or do it. . . . 

Best,

Howie

No more seniors! Let's develop our own. Or try.

Best,

Howie

While I agree with the general notion, you can't win with a team fpacked with youngsters.  You need a nice mix of veterans and children. Besides, someone needs to lead the kids and show them how to win.  The VLC experiment failed, but that doesn't mean the Flyers should limit themselves to just "developing"?

Back to the topic, I will take Moulson with open arms - he is a good player. But from everything I am hearing, his heart is at Buffalo. 

While I agree with the general notion, you can't win with a team fpacked with youngsters.  You need a nice mix of veterans and children. Besides, someone needs to lead the kids and show them how to win.  The VLC experiment failed, but that doesn't mean the Flyers should limit themselves to just "developing"?

Back to the topic, I will take Moulson with open arms - he is a good player. But from everything I am hearing, his heart is at Buffalo. 

MD:

You are right. Most things are good in moderation. But this team seems to fixate on senior hires.

Best,

Howie

You won't take moulsson but you would take leino back? At least moulson is one if the more consistent go scorers in the league. 30 years old which is not terrible... Howie... Step a way from the rum my good man! Lol....

Edited by murraycraven

But this team seems to fixate on senior hires.

In the past years (meaning Clarke's era), I would say that was where the Flyers graviated, yes.  But I am not sure how you can make this case now with both Schenns, Couturier, Jake, Mason, Raffle, Akeson.  Simmonds and Giroux are your two best players on the team, and they are 25 and 26, respectively. That's old?

They did stick with Coburn, who they picked up from Atlanta when he was green, did they not?  Of the regular-roster players, the team currently has only 4 players who are over 35: Streit and Timonen.  Even VLC is not really *that* old by the NHL standards... Hartnell is 32.  That's not old... 

So with all due respect, I am really not sure, where you see the "fixation on seniors".

The winning formula of building a successful team is a healthy mix.  You draft well, you hire coaching personnel who know how to develop, you trade well, and you pick up some free agents. 

Paul Holmgren can be accused of a myriad of things.  I didn't shy away from being possibly his biggest critics here, and I still maintain he was just not the right man for the GM job.  But building exclusively through veterans and neglecting youth development is not something that the Flyers shoudl be accused of during Holmgren's tenure.

Edited by Mad Dog

Whats her name???

Buffalo's a great little city with fabulous facilities, a rabid hockey fanbase and an owner with deep, committed pockets. Quality of life in Western New York is very high, cost of living is relatively low.

Just because the owner should be committed for some of his moves doesn't change that.

I'd take Moulson on Giroux's wing in a heartbeat, but the Flyers don't seem to have the cap space to make it so. Moulson's only 30 - which is right in the heart of the "prime" of his career. If he was 34, you're talking about a completely different thing.

But signing him to a 3-4 year deal (so he has another bite at the UFA apple before 35+) wouldn't be a bad move from where I sit.

3-4 years at 5 million wouldn't be too bad for Moulson, but he could very well demand 6 or so on the open market. You'd absolutely have to move cap space if you wanted to bring him in, but it wouldn't need to be anything drastic if you can sign him for less than 6. Sending Vinny and keeping half of his cap hit, and trading Grossmann to free up a D position for a younger player to pair with Timonen would give you enough. I kept all FAs at last year's salary with the exception of Schenn, as I don't expect any of them to command a significant raise. I also added Stu Bickell as a 7th defenseman, because he's serviceable in that role and inexpensive - but really any veteran guy at a low salary fits there. I put Moulson in at 5 million, but you could get close to 6 with a 23-man roster. If you wanted to clear a bit more space, you could roll with a 22-man roster and bury Rosehill or Vandevelde.

All that said, I don't expect Hextall to make this kind of move, but it's one I would be ok with making.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
Moulson?
FORWARDS
Matt Moulson ($5.000m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Jason Akeson ($0.900m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Adam Hall ($0.600m) / Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) / Chris VandeVelde ($0.550m)
DEFENSEMEN
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m)
Kimmo Timonen ($2.000m) / Oliver Lauridsen ($0.600m)
Stu Bickel ($0.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Cal Heeter ($0.950m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
RETAINED SALARIES (3.26% of upper limit)
Vincent Lecavalier ($2.250m—50.00%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,045,000; BONUSES: $1,500,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $955,000

i'd bury rosehill because he's rosehill

Well, yes. I'd prefer to bury him in the A and keep Vandevelde up because he can score a little (Rosehill's spin-o-rama notwithstanding) and play on the PK in a pinch. I value that more than a player who can stick his face in front of other players' fists. However, I also like carrying a full 23-man roster, so you'd have to replace him with a similar salary.

Edit: I thought I remembered him having a couple goals. Seems I was wrong.

Edited by AJgoal
  • Like 1

Well, yes. I'd prefer to bury him in the A and keep Vandevelde up because he can score a little (Rosehill's spin-o-rama notwithstanding) and play on the PK in a pinch. I value that more than a player who can stick his face in front of other players' fists. However, I also like carrying a full 23-man roster, so you'd have to replace him with a similar salary.

Edit: I thought I remembered him having a couple goals. Seems I was wrong.

I like it not sure if Moulson signs for 5 mill per but i'll play along. I would scratch Zac (waive Rosehill and use his cap hit and bury him in the A) and insert Bellemare on the 4th line with Hall and Raffl.

Also i don't think i'd have Heeter for backup duty yet i'd take Greiss or Chad Johnson for the backup spot. Or maybe even Montoya. All relatively cheap options i think. 

Edited by OccamsRazor

@AJgoal  Trade Vorachek, Coburn and a 2nd for Florida's 1st pick overall, draft Exblad. Then take the money you saved in trading those two (and Pronger's LTIR money) to sign Moulson and Stralman. You then should have enough for a veteran back up for Mason.

In the past years (meaning Clarke's era), I would say that was where the Flyers graviated, yes.  But I am not sure how you can make this case now with both Schenns, Couturier, Jake, Mason, Raffle, Akeson.  Simmonds and Giroux are your two best players on the team, and they are 25 and 26, respectively. That's old?

They did stick with Coburn, who they picked up from Atlanta when he was green, did they not?  Of the regular-roster players, the team currently has only 4 players who are over 35: Streit and Timonen.  Even VLC is not really *that* old by the NHL standards... Hartnell is 32.  That's not old... 

So with all due respect, I am really not sure, where you see the "fixation on seniors".

The winning formula of building a successful team is a healthy mix.  You draft well, you hire coaching personnel who know how to develop, you trade well, and you pick up some free agents. 

Paul Holmgren can be accused of a myriad of things.  I didn't shy away from being possibly his biggest critics here, and I still maintain he was just not the right man for the GM job.  But building exclusively through veterans and neglecting youth development is not something that the Flyers shoudl be accused of during Holmgren's tenure.

Your assessment is accurate and I should modify my stance. But we seem to make our off-season signings of expensive old-timers. Streit may not have been such a good add. Bryz? I like Kimmo and at 2 mill, fine. But there the question is one of development (or lack of) the D and G in our organization. And even Homer admitted what we gave up for Pronger hurt us for some time.  

Peace,

Howie

@AJgoal  Trade Vorachek, Coburn and a 2nd for Florida's 1st pick overall, draft Exblad. Then take the money you saved in trading those two (and Pronger's LTIR money) to sign Moulson and Stralman. You then should have enough for a veteran back up for Mason.

No. Two birds in the hand and all that. I don't trade that much for potential, regardless of the potential. That's a lateral move at best for the next couple of years.

Also, the roster I put together is based on the low 69 million cap. Higher cap obviously means more available money for signings.

Trade Vorachek, Coburn and a 2nd for Florida's 1st pick overall, draft Exblad.

I am ignorant. Is Eckblad all that??? 

Also, I keep asking this, isnt the lottery still in effect?? Meaning we could have a Kane / JVR / Turris situation??? 

I am ignorant. Is Eckblad all that???

Also, I keep asking this, isnt the lottery still in effect?? Meaning we could have a Kane / JVR / Turris situation???

yes there is still a lottery, but it only involves the bottom 13 teams in the league, so they hold the lottery during the playoffs. it's already over. Like, a month ago.

• Like 1