Unlikely but article discusses poss. of Flyers moving to #1 spot in draft

once a writer types "trading Braden  Coburn" I usually stop reading... 

He is not a franchise defenseman, but he is this team's best defensman, I don't see where trading him for a guy that maybe is ready to play NHL hockey right away makes this team better, especially when the noise the front office has been making is they feel the team is close to being really good.

Plus I really don't see the Flyers as a team that is in full on rebuild mode where they're interested in blowing up the core group to put together a package to secure the pick, I really really don't see where Voracek is in that conversation at all. 

I move Coburn in a package for a guy that's done it in the NHL not potential.  Someone wants to ship him to Phx in a package for OEL... i'm listening.  

He is not a franchise defenseman, but he is this team's best defensman, I don't see where trading him for a guy that maybe is ready to play NHL hockey right away makes this team better, especially when the noise the front office has been making is they feel the team is close to being really good.

It might be a smart plan in the longer term picture. You have to start somewhere, and there's no time like the present.

OEL will not be traded - and if he is he will cost a lot because he is potentially partially realized. Eckblad is just potential, but that potential eclipses OEL. 

I prefer to build a team from the net on out....we have the goalie, now we need the stud d-man, a true #1 franchise d-man. A guy who can play up or down a goal late in games, can clear the crease, run a top pp, control the game from the back end....if we don't make this move now for a guy like Exblad, where do we find a guy like that? I get it, Vorachek + is a huge price to pay, but this team needs this going forward. You can always find goals in the draft and UFA, they might never have another legit shot at a #1 d-man. Exblad's skating makes him guaranteed to play in the NHL, only question is how much offense will he supply, cause he *will* be a shut down defender.

• Like 1

I agree.  Combine Eckblad with Morin, Haag & Ghost and we could a very good back end in a couple years.  It's worth a crack as long as the price is reasonable.

Oh yah?  Is it reasonable?  Sorry, just finished watching Fargo series last night and got Fargo on the brain.

hqdefault.jpg

I agree.  Combine Eckblad with Morin, Haag & Ghost and we could a very good back end in a couple years.  It's worth a crack as long as the price is reasonable.

Even if the price involves Morin, Ghost or Hagg, I do it. 

Any way you slice it, Eckblad is better than any of the prospects we have at any position.

Some of the trade proposals in that article are just laughable... Simmonds, Vinny, Luke and our 17th? Not a single first line player or top pairing defenseman. 

I think it would cost something like Voracek, Morin or Ghost, and the 17th: top line player, top prospect, and a 1st round pick.

I agree. Combine Eckblad with Morin, Haag & Ghost and we could a very good back end in a couple years. It's worth a crack as long as the price is reasonable.

"a couple" generally doesn't mean 4 or 5, which is how many years any of those players are from being difference makers in the NHL. And history says only one or two of them ever will be. You guys really want to back burner this team until the entire current roster is UFA?

• Like 1

I'm very intrigued by Morin.  Something tells me he's going to be an animal.  I don't think I let him go.

He could be. But there's a much higher probability that Eckblad will realize his potential and be a franchise cornerstone. Morin doesn't have that kind of ceiling. It's possible of course, but remote.

So all things being equal, you would not trade Morin in a package for Eckblad??

Morin = potential Canadian Chara... um not going to trade him.  6 ft 7 guys that can skate well have big shots and mean streaks don't grow on trees and certainly aren't  already on my team...

Since with even Ekblad we are still talking about potential,  in 5 years he could potentially be Morin's bitch. I think Morin's ceiling is higher because of his size.

And that's the thing about blowing a hole in your roster for a pick, unless the kid is other worldly, Crosby, Gretsky, Lemieux...does McDavid count ?  you don't do it.

Eric Lindros  was worth the risk at the time,  how did that work out ?  0 titles and a career cut short by injury and acrimony with the front office (Clarke).  And Lindros was supposed to be Mario with a Mean streak,  Ekblad has no where near the hype here in the southern Canadian province of Pennsyltucky that LIndros did and that  is why I hope this is mostly silly season speculation.  

@brelic

Morin = potential Canadian Chara... um not going to trade him.  6 ft 7 guys that can skate well have big shots and mean streaks don't grow on trees and certainly aren't  already on my team...

Since even with  Ekblad we are still talking about potential,  in 5 years he could potentially be Morin's bitch. I think Morin's ceiling is higher because of his size.

And that's the thing about blowing a hole in your roster for a pick, unless the kid is other worldly, Crosby, Gretsky, Lemieux...does McDavid count ?  you don't do it.

Eric Lindros  was worth the risk at the time,  how did that work out ?  0 titles and a career cut short by injury and acrimony with the front office (Clarke).  And Lindros was supposed to be Mario with a Mean streak,  Ekblad has no where near the hype here in the southern Canadian province of Pennsyltucky that LIndros did and that  is why I hope this is mostly silly season speculation.  

sorry for the near identical post there doesn't seem to be an edit button after a certain amount of time

Eckblad will be a bust. No way I trade what is being discussed for him. I agree about building from the net out, but he is not the guy to do it with.

Ekblad's skating and positioning are already elite, just based on those 2 skills alone, I guarantee you he will not be a bust.

• Like 1

I'll bet you a ham sandwich and a toaster strudel

Um, toasted sandwich with Back Bacon,  Cheez Whiz and Ketchup......but nice try!

LOL, thought you were talking about what I just ate....haha...you are on, you can send toaster strudels through international shipping venues....make it a box of apple toaster strudel please!!

• Like 1