Unlikely but article discusses poss. of Flyers moving to #1 spot in draft

And that's the thing about blowing a hole in your roster for a pick, unless the kid is other worldly, Crosby, Gretsky, Lemieux...does McDavid count ?  you don't do it.

ding ding ding, winner chicken dinner. 

I think Ghost is everything that Eckblad is.

UUuuuuuuuuugggh not really as much as i like Ghost the only comparisons they have in common is they are defenseman.

Ghost is 5-11 178 lbs 21 years old

Ekblad is 6-4 216 lbs 18 years old.

And their games are not similar. 

Watch and you tell me.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Eckblad will be a bust. No way I trade what is being discussed for him. I agree about building from the net out, but he is not the guy to do it with.

Ekblad won't be a bust. The guy is too smart of a player to bust. But I also don't think he's going to be a superstar. Though I do think he'd be our best defenceman within a year. But no way i trade Voracek, Coburn and our 1st for him. Too steep.

• Like 1

Ekblad won't be a bust. The guy is too smart of a player to bust. But I also don't think he's going to be a superstar. Though I do think he'd be our best defenceman within a year. But no way i trade Voracek, Coburn and our 1st for him. Too steep.

Leave it to you to call me on my hyperbole. :)

Yeah, bust is stretching it way the other way (he still has to be a bust or @jammer2 gets a tasty breakfast treat).

But he is not what is being hyped and definitely not worth the package being discussed. And besides, if you really want Eckblad, trade for #2 or #3 because he's not going #1 anyway.

Would be the best defensemen on the Flyers? If that's all we have to meet as a benchmark, someone call Behold Randy and see if he's available.

@ruxpin

I see him being a sure thing #2 with the possibility of becoming a very good #1. Not what I'd call a "stud" but then I believe there are only a handful of true stud defencemen in the league. He's got great size, hockey smarts and shot. I'd like him to be more physical, but he plays a great positional game. His skating could improve but it's not bad. Those two faults are what keeps him from being an easy #1. He's more physical than Lidstrom, and a way better skater than Pronger. I'm just saying that to point out you can find fault with any defenceman. But I wouldn't trade two of our best players at their position and our 17th overall for him.

@ruxpin

I see him being a sure thing #2 with the possibility of becoming a very good #1. Not what I'd call a "stud" but then I believe there are only a handful of true stud defencemen in the league. He's got great size, hockey smarts and shot. I'd like him to be more physical, but he plays a great positional game. His skating could improve but it's not bad. Those two faults are what keeps him from being an easy #1. He's more physical than Lidstrom, and a way better skater than Pronger. I'm just saying that to point out you can find fault with any defenceman. But I wouldn't trade two of our best players at their position and our 17th overall for him.

And besides, if you really want Eckblad, trade for #2 or #3 because he's not going #1 anyway

I agree with everything you said, but just wanted to clarify that I meant that he wouldn't go #1 in the draft.  If someone's going to package a trade for him, it should probably be a package appropriate for #2 or #3 in the draft rather than the added value (real or imaginary) of 1st overall.

@ruxpin

I understood what you were saying.

I'm not sure who'll go #1. There is no clear cut choice, which makes the pick less valuable as you mentioned. I do think he goes1st because Florida still doesn't have a #1 and also if someone trades for their pick I think it's to take Ekblad, not Bennett or Reinhart.  Just my 2 pesos.

UUuuuuuuuuugggh not really as much as i like Ghost the only comparisons they have in common is they are defenseman.

Yeah, I was totally reaching. I guess my point was just stay in house. I am not one that wants to mortgage my team for the future. It did not work with Lindros and it will not work now. 

It did not work with Lindros and it will not work now. 

Well his one line did carry them to the playoffs but with Clarke's mismanagement of the team like taking Geezer instead of Cujo kinda hard to blame him as the failure.

He isn't the one who put himself on a plane with a collapsed lung and all.

He wasn't the one that mis diagnosed a concussion he was just the 1st line center and i think he did a hell of a job....especially never having a goaltender and only one solid defenseman.....he is just one piece.

But i understand the point you were trying to make and noted.

And it is a steep price to pay i'd really prefer to hold onto all the assets it would require to get him....just dreaming/brainstorming...it's a slow time.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Well his one line did carry them to the playoffs but with Clarke's mismanagement of the team like taking Geezer instead of Cujo kinda hard to blame him as the failure.

Yeah, the Nodicks / Avs say hello though with their shiny ring. 

Edited by Vanflyer

They didn't get Patrick Roy from the Flyers.

Very good point and was actually thinking that when I typed it. However, Roy did not win them the first cup (he did the second though). 

That entire team was just stacked and in large part because of the Lindros trade. Three hofers (including Roy). 

I'd execute the Lindros trade again. Those opportunities just don't happen.

But I'd also build a team to go with, likely through free agency. CuJo being a perfect example.

Back to the point, Ekblad ain't Lindros.

Very good point and was actually thinking that when I typed it. However, Roy did not win them the first cup (he did the second though).

Yeah he won it the same year he was traded to them, the Avs first season. And yes he won the Avs 2nd Cup too.

In fact the Avs are the first team in any sport to win it all there first year of existence.

And don't under estimate the role Mike Keane (3 Cups) played when he too came over in the trade with Roy.

But the Flyers traded those players to the Nordiques, not the Avs Eric didn't won't to play for a team he didn't think was marketed well and he didn't want to have to speak french....can't blame him there. 

Yeah they traded them Ricci, Forsberg and Simon (even though he didn't even play a game in the finals) but 3 players a Cup team does not make. They couldn't get over the hump without Roy.

Yeah he won it the same year he was traded to them, the Avs first season. And yes he won the Avs 2nd Cup too.

In fact the Avs are the first team in any sport to win it all there first year of existence.

And don't under estimate the role Mike Keane (3 Cups) played when he too came over in the trade with Roy.

But the Flyers traded those players to the Nordiques, not the Avs Eric didn't won't to play for a team he didn't think was marketed well and he didn't want to have to speak french....can't blame him there. 

Yeah they traded them Ricci, Forsberg and Simon (even though he didn't even play a game in the finals) but 3 players a Cup team does not make. They couldn't get over the hump without Roy.

Don't forget that one of the firsts they traded to the Nordiques was sent to Montreal in the Roy trade. I don't know that that trade gets done without Thibault going back the other way.

I know, as I said to OR, I was reaching totally. My bad. Point being, don't mortgage today for the future. 

I'm not sure how this kind of trade would be mortgaging the future. I think I mentioned a package similar to Voracek, Morin, and the 17th for the 1st overall. 

I don't want to trade Voracek. I don't want to trade Morin. But I'm saying if I were a GM and that kind of trade scenario became a possibility, man, it would be a tough call. Giving up Voracek would hurt the most. Morin gets upgraded big time to Ekblad, and we also lose out on adding a prospect to the farm. I can live with that more than I can giving up Voracek.

But if you look at the long-term of the franchise, a guy like Ekblad has the pedigree to be a Shea Weber (he's been compared to him) or a Drew Doughty back there. Can you imagine how that would impact the team? The Kings do not win two Cups without Doughty. The Hawks do not win two Cups without Keith. The Bruins do not win a Cup without Chara. It's not just the difference those guys made in the playoffs, but also the difference they make night in and night out in the season. 

So in fantasy land, if the Florida Panthers call me up and say they want Voracek, Morin (or Hagg or Ghost), and the 17th for the 1st overall, I would be inclined to make the trade for the long-term picture, knowing full well that it will set the team back a few years to offset the loss of Voracek... or not, if they manage to sign a UFA.

I guess what I'm saying is that, for me, a franchise defenseman is more important - and MUCH rarer -  than a top line winger.

Aaron Ekblad's Player Profile

Aaron Ekblad is good…like DAMN good. He’s one of only four players in the history of junior hockey to be granted exceptional status. The consensus best defenseman in the draft, Ekblad has all the tools to be a future top pairing defenseman in the NHL. He has the imposing physical frame, the poise a defenseman needs to move the puck up ice, and his vision and positioning are second to none.

Ekblad’s game is a perfect balance of offensive instinct and defensive awareness. Rarely will you find him out of position and is one of the toughest opponents to beat along the boards or in the front of the crease. His skill with the puck is complimented with his ruggedness all over the ice. Almost a point-per-game player this season from the backend, Ekblad has improved by leaps and bounds every OHL season for the past three years. Aaron Ekblad shouldn’t have an issue translating his game to the NHL whatsoever.
Profile from: Shawn Reznik of The Hockey Writers - updated May 16th 

I have Aaron number one because I believe he will have the biggest positive impact on a team of any player in this draft. I love how he obliterates forwards at the blue-line on a pinch; I love how he finds the lane for his hard, heavy shot just when the team needs it the most; I love how he is the player counted on in the big moments and the hard situations. They don’t call him an ogre for nothing; he can show you a real mean streak. He reminds me of a young Shea Weber.
Profile from: Eldon MacDonald and Chris Ralph of The Hockey Writers - updated Feb. 27th 

• Like 1

Don't forget that one of the firsts they traded to the Nordiques was sent to Montreal in the Roy trade. I don't know that that trade gets done without Thibault going back the other way.

No matter what i'm glad Lindros was a Flyer. It was a big trade and i'm happy BIG E was a Flyer we won't see anymore trade like that again cause i don't believe we'll ever see a player as dominate as him again.

No matter what i'm glad Lindros was a Flyer. It was a big trade and i'm happy BIG E was a Flyer we won't see anymore trade like that again cause i don't believe we'll ever see a player as dominate as him again.

100% agreed.

100% agreed.

He IS what got a southern boy like myself hooked on hockey, never had much exposure to it down south here till may days in the Navy watching with my buddy, a fellow Saber's fan catching some games and watching him at the sports bar his first year help me chose and fall in love with the Flyers and hockey in general. Been in love ever since.