2014 Entry Draft - Who do the Flyers choose?

OccamsRazor

A nice Bleacher Report story on 5 potential Flyer targets at the draft in Philly. Geez, I want one of these talented LW'ers to fall somehow. Milano looks interesting, and this Demko kid (although I don't think Goalie is the way to go)...he looks more intriguing every time I read about him.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Stralman-Looking-at-a-Big-Raise/1/60346

Tuch and Milano seems like legit picks, as does Fleury (though I'd imagine he's gone by our pick).

Demko seems like one of the better goalie prospects, but he's not rated anywhere near as high as our pick and goalies are the biggest crapshoot in hockey. No way I'm using my first on a reach.

Deangelo isn't on my radar in the 2nd round let alone 1st. Two suspensions this year for Deangelo for using racial slurs - once against a teammate that his own team brought to the leagues attention...ya, I want that guy to room with Simmonds. "Hey Wayne, where's your roommate?" "He's in a bodycast coach". No thanks.

@flyercanuck  Out of those 5, Milano seems like the best fit for the Flyers. If Demko makes it out of the 1st round (a decent chance that happens)....I'd be ok with giving up a 4th or 5th to move up a few spots in the 2nd to snag him up...he would be a real nice value high in the 2nd round. Considering the orgs depth in goalies, that might be a smart play.

hmmm, Metzler's blog today discusses the risks associated with selecting a goalie high in the draft. I swear I didn't steal his idea of moving up in the 2nd to draft Demko...I typed my response before reading it...but it a fairly obvious scenario.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Drafting-Goaltenders/45/60358

@jammer2

If you could move up in the 2nd it sounds like a good move.(I may be a little biased here but also think Lemieux if there would be a great pick) I can't say i've seen much of Milano (the parking lot stick thing is meaningless...do it with Chara and Lucic trying to prevent it and I'll be impressed) but I've read good things about him. Fabbri, McKeown, Kempe, Barbashev, Kapanen all sound more realistic than Bleacher reports Fleury, Deangelo or Demko.

hmmm, Metzler's blog today discusses the risks associated with selecting a goalie high in the draft. I swear I didn't steal his idea of moving up in the 2nd to draft Demko...I typed my response before reading it...but it a fairly obvious scenario.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Drafting-Goaltenders/45/60358

Yes i like this kid a lot and he was just a freshman last year. But if you roll this thread back to page 5 i suggested snatch him (Demko also a clip of him) if he slides and maybe even using the Eagles mentality they use to land their 1st round pick....saying he may not be there by the time their 2nd rolls around.

So yes instead of using the 1st rounder on him (which i just hate taking a goalie for reason you guys already suggested) moving up in the 2nd to get him would be better.

I just prefer my 1st rounder closer to being ready to play in the NHL and Demko may need all 3 year of college to develop, plus his rights can slide till he graduates.

Then they can sign him and give him some time in the AHL first to continue the development phase.

I'm really hoping that Hexy values skating and compete level above all else, cause without those 2 key components, you got nothing

Sorry to do this but Sam Bennett's new name is going to have to be private Pyle from here on out!!!!  :D

First among North American skaters in NHL Central Scouting's final 2014 draft rankings, the Kingston Frontenacs centre finished dead-last in one category during Saturday's fitness testing at the annual combine.

Bennett couldn't do a single pull-up.

"I was definitely disappointed with myself," Bennett said. "I was wanting to do the best I can in every test. But, I guess, ultimately games aren't won or lost if you can do a pull-up in the gym."-----Let's hope so right...not even one???????

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=453634

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIULYenwnj0

Morning laugh...................couldn't resist.

Edited by OccamsRazor

In fairness, Couturier and Mason are also on that list. Hextall has a legitimate nice base to work with in terms of prospects and younger players. I don't think guys who are younger than 27 are going to be moved if Hextall decides to retool. I think you're going to see guys like Hartnell, Lecavalier, Read, Grossmann, maybe Coburn, be guys that Hextall will look at moving. I know Hextall has also said he wasn't going to blow things up on the big club because he said he liked the roster that Holmgren put together, but there needs to be some tweaking of the roster and that the farm system needs to be vastly improved. Hextall played a huge role in the LA Kings farm system when he was the assistant GM there, so you can bet he's going to seek to improve the farm immediately. 

I don't think Hextall is going to go free agent shopping either. The Flyers have about 7 million in cap room and with big contracts like Vinny and Grossmann on the roster, it limits his flexibility in terms of what he can do. That's part of the reason I honestly believe that he'll deal both them. Hextall will want some cap flexibility as well as get some half decent prospects for them. Part of me hopes that if Hextall can move Vinny to Nashville, that the rights to Del Zotto come the other way. I think he'd be a guy who would benefit from John Paddock's coaching (the guy has been an excellent coach when it comes to developing defensemen). As well, if Hextall can deal Grossmann for picks or B level prospects, that would be something that would help add to the farm. It also frees up a spot for a guy like Alt, who's upside is that of a legitimate second pairing defenseman. 

I know there was talk that with the draft being in Philadelphia that the Flyers were probably going to make a big splash. I honestly don't see them doing that with Hextall on board. He seems to be really committed to building through the draft and I think that's going to be the m.o. going forward.

By the way, i still hope it's Robby Fabri from Guelph who they end up drafting. I'll say this right now. For all the talk that Sam Reinhart and Sam Bennett get, I think Fabri is right up there with them in terms of skill and compete level. This guy is a legit talent that if teams are patient with him, they'll be rewarded greatly. He's a little light right now, but the weight will come. 

Bobby:

First of all, welcome to the board and I hope you find this a congenial place. I think it is and you seem to be adding some good stuff!

I have not had the time to read up on the draft picks. My sentimental pick would be Kapanen, but he may not be around or that good...and we can't make decisions on sentiment. On the other hand...if his toughness is like his dad..that will make up for skill.

Coots...OK, he may be a Selke winner. But at some point, this franchise may say we need something other than a top defender. Mason...interesting. I hope his resurrection is for real.  

Meanwhile, welcome again!  Living in Florida, I have had lots of reminders that today is the start of hurricane season. Well, it is now the month of the draft too.

Peace,

Howie

Sorry to do this but Sam Bennett's new name is going to have to be private Pyle from here on out!!!!   :D

First among North American skaters in NHL Central Scouting's final 2014 draft rankings, the Kingston Frontenacs centre finished dead-last in one category during Saturday's fitness testing at the annual combine.

"I was definitely disappointed with myself," Bennett said. "I was wanting to do the best I can in every test. But, I guess, ultimately games aren't won or lost if you can do a pull-up in the gym."-----Let's hope so right...not even one???????

Honestly who here can't do one pull up....show of hands!!!???? We know Sam ain't alone...........

Edited by OccamsRazor

Sorry to do this but Sam Bennett's new name is going to have to be private Pyle from here on out!!!!   :D

Honestly who here can't do one pull up....show of hands!!!???? We know Sam ain't alone...........

Apparently Gary Roberts couldn't do one either in his draft. Fit and Gary Roberts kind of go hand in hand.

Apparently Gary Roberts couldn't do one either in his draft. Fit and Gary Roberts kind of go hand in hand.

Are you kidding me? I'm not expecting 15 or 20 just one. Damn so I guess this isn't that alarming then, I mean I do know its about leg strength and skating but I just figured you'd want more upper body strength than that.

Well it's safe to say he better hit the weights and upper body strengthening if he wants to make it to the NHL level especially with BIG 220 pound defenseman leaning on him he'll get tossed around like a rag doll otherwise. But he'll have a couple years to do that.

Edited by OccamsRazor

@OccamsRazor

I'm sure the guy will do something about it. And I was as amazed he couldn't do one as you. But if Roberts also couldn't do one, and ended up Mr. Fitness of the entire league, even into his retirement years, it doesn't seem like it's that big of an issue.

Pull ups aren't about upper body strength though. it's about bicep strength, which isn't a true indication of upper body strength. I know several guys at work who are in the military reserves and they work out like there's no tomorrow and their strength is off the chart (I saw one of the guys bench 350 pounds 22 times) and they all had significant difficulties doing pull ups. I'm not worried about a young guy not being able to do a pull up. I'm worried about whether or not he's competitive and what kind of skills he can bring to the table. Strength is something that can always be worked on and addressed. Skill and compete level can't. You either have it or you don't.

it doesn't seem like it's that big of an issue.

I would if he falls into the Flyers lap that way...crossing fingers....yeah yeah i know it ain't gonna happen he won't make it past the 3rd pick. I really still think the Flyers should go defense again unless there is a can't miss forward that falls.

The reason is after they pick and before they pick again there will be a run on D men i just know it....and the Flyers can't get forwards later i know they don't have problems with that.

Yeah Ghost is the rare exception and Hagg just fell and i can't expect that to happen again.

But until the Flyers blueliners actually make it i can't look past that weak link. Besides we know they are worth their weight in gold and you can never have enough.

But that would give them mad talent waiting to come up. Especially after watching the Kings and Hawks blueline Flyers need all the mobile Dmen they can get.

Then: Morin, Hagg, Ghost, McKeown, Alt, Reece or Vasiliev  ......would be an outstanding blueline for many years to come.

Ok dream over i woke up...............

Pull ups aren't about upper body strength though. it's about bicep strength, which isn't a true indication of upper body strength. I know several guys at work who are in the military reserves and they work out like there's no tomorrow and their strength is off the chart (I saw one of the guys bench 350 pounds 22 times) and they all had significant difficulties doing pull ups. I'm not worried about a young guy not being able to do a pull up. I'm worried about whether or not he's competitive and what kind of skills he can bring to the table. Strength is something that can always be worked on and addressed. Skill and compete level can't. You either have it or you don't.

Not true it is one of the best upper body workouts you can get it recruits so many upper body muscles yes a lot comes from biceps but its shoulders, lats too mostly but for hockey purposes it is all about forearm strength helps greatly with gripping the stick....it's one of the best at that.

And it is the equivalent of a squat for the lower body and back workout from recruiting so many muscles.

It is certainly better than isolation movements for the biceps. In fact it is all the work i do for my biceps i don't do many curls.

I'm telling you if you want a complete body workout all you need really do is two exorcises....pullups and squats.

Working out is my specialty i've done it since i was 15.......i'm 42 @ 5-11 210 lbs with 9% body fat.

When i was in bootcamp they stressed pullups and you get ragged and have to run extra miles when you can't meet criteria for your weight class.

And also speaking of over rated in the bench press....push ups bro...just your body weight is all you need....just do more reps....i don't bench but maybe once a month.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Not true it is one of the best upper body workouts you can get it recruits so many upper body muscles yes a lot comes from biceps but its shoulders,

Also the latissimus dorsi, which are the largest muscles in the upper body.

Might just be the best ever year for Left Wingers.

Is that stud a LW? If so, go get him!! 

What is the price to move up in the draft to get the player you want? A pick? A prospect? A journeyman + low round pick??

Are you kidding me? I'm not expecting 15 or 20 just one. Damn so I guess this isn't that alarming then, I mean I do know its about leg strength and skating but I just figured you'd want more upper body strength than that.

I am with you. I mean not even one?? My fat cow of a wife can do at least 5 and my beer keg belly of mine I can do 10. WTF, not even 1????