2014 Entry Draft - Who do the Flyers choose?

OccamsRazor

This is Flyer specific but it explains a lot of the waiver rules that many like me need to know so i'll post it here so we can look back at it.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-wire-primer/

For skaters, players are exempt for:

• signed at 18: exempt for 5 years after signing or 160 NHL games
  • signed at 19: exempt for 4 years or 160 NHL games
  • signed at 20: exempt for 3 years or 160 NHL games
  • signed at 21: exempt for 3 years or 80 NHL games
  • signed at 22: exempt for 3 years or  70 NHL games
  • signed at 23: exempt for 3 years or 60 NHL games
  • signed at 24: exempt for 2 years or 60 NHL games
  • signed at 25 or older: exempt for 1 year regardless of games played

For goaltenders, players are exempt for:

• signed at 18: exempt for 6 years after signing or 80 NHL games
  • signed at 19: exempt for 5 years or 160 NHL games
  • signed at 20: exempt for 4 years or 80 NHL games
  • signed at 21: exempt for 4 years or 80 NHL games
  • signed at 22: exempt for 4 years or 60 NHL games
  • signed at 23: exempt for 3 years or 60 NHL games
  • signed at 24: exempt for 2 years or 60 NHL games
  • signed at 25 or older: exempt for 1 year regardless of games played

In practice, this usually means that almost all skaters are exempt for their entire entry-level contract and goaltenders are exempt for their entry-level contract and one additional season. There are some exceptions here and there, but that’s the general rule of thumb.

Example: Calgary goaltender 
 is waiver exempt for four years (or 80 NHL games) because he signed his first deal when he was 20. However, Reto Berra signed his first NHL deal when he was 26, he was only waiver exempt for his first season.

Injured players can also be sent down to the AHL on a conditioning loan for up to 14 days without requiring waivers, but they will count as part of their club’s 23-man NHL roster while on that loan.

WHEN DO WAIVERS HAPPEN?

The regular season waiver period begins 12 days prior to the beginning of the regular season and ends the day after a team’s last game. Players are on waivers for 24 hours and waiver wire priority is based on the club with the lowest points percentage at the time a player is placed on waivers; the worst teams get a chance to improve by getting first crack, and then the next-worst team, and so on. If no team claims a player during the waiver period, they’re said to have “cleared waivers.”

DOES IT MATTER IF A CONTRACT IS 1-WAY OR 2-WAY?  

Nope. Players on one-way contracts get paid their NHL salary whether they’re in the NHL or the minors, while players on a two-way contract have a set NHL salary and a different set minor league salary. That’s the only difference. The type of contract a player is under has absolutely no bearing on their waiver status.

WHAT ARE UNCONDITIONAL WAIVERS?  

Unconditional waivers are a special waiver process where a club offers a player to every other team prior to terminating a player’s contract. These are also called “$125 waivers,” after the different waiver fee paid. It is very rare that players are claimed off of unconditional waivers.

WHAT’S CHANGED SINCE THE LAST CBA?  

• 2 months later...

Ok folks with the NFL draft underway, I believe it is time to soon shift our focus to the NHL Entry Draft being held at the end of June in Philly.  With Hexy now the GM, what should be the primary focus on this years draft?  It appears this team now has 3 solid D-man prospects in the system.  This team has a multitude of centers and it appears they finally found a goalie.  In case you are wondering...it appears the Flyers will pick around #17.

Let's be honest here.  Florida is going to command a King's Ransom for that top pick.  There is no way the scuttle this team just to acquire Ekblad.  Especially the way Hexy made it sound that they value picks and young prospects.  It appears this draft is deep with LW which is what this team desperately needs.  Do you try to trade up and nab one of the highly touted LW?  Do you stay pat and draft BPA (best player available)?  Do you keep drafting D-men even though it appears this years draft, outside of Ekbald, does not appear to be as deep.

Here are some mocks I have found:

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2014/

17 60.gif Philadelphia Ivan Barbashev LW Moncton (QMJHL)

Date of Birth December 14, 1995

Height 6' 0.5

Weight 185

Country Russia

Position Left Winger

Secondary Position Center

Shoots Left

Amateur Team Moncton Wildcats

Previous Amateur Team

Balashikha HC MVD

Hard working wing with quickness, good anticipation, and smarts. He was selected to the roster for the World Junior Under-18 Tournament in April.

Edited by pilldoc

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Julius Honka Profile

Julius%20Honka.jpg
Julius Honka

Ht/Wt: 5'10"/178 lbs
Position: D
Team: Swift Current (WHL)

Shoots Right

Projected to be drafted in 2014 NHL Draft: 2nd Round, 34th Overall Pick by Calgary 48.gif
Additional Information Small defender who plays much bigger than his size. Fearless, and will engage anyone to get control of the puck. Is not a flashy up-ice guy, as he plays a solid all-around game with a careful approach to his defensive responsibilities first. Reads the ice well and passes well. Good in tarnsition. Moves well laterally, and is able to close because of his feet.

Julius Honka's Player Profile

A tremendously gifted skater possessing four-way dynamic mobility, Julius Honka gets up and down the ice more efficiently than any other defender in his class. Athletically gifted, Honka utilizes his elite hockey sense, ability to read the play quickly and poise in possession to control the tempo of the game. It’s his swift skating that allows him to pounce on turnovers and quickly turn the play up the ice for a scoring chance. Playing in an undersized and underdeveloped frame, Honka relies on his intelligence and sharp footwork to contain his opponents defensively and isn’t a liability, like most offensive defensemen can be.

Had 16 goals and 56 points in 62 games this year

Edited by pilldoc

I realize it's a long shot and may not be the best possible choice, however

Kasperi Kapanen

blank.jpg
Date of Birth July 23, 1996 Height 5' 11 Weight 172 Country Finland Position Left Winger Secondary Position Right Wing Shoots Right Amateur Team Kuopio KalPa
Draft History
Projected to be drafted in 2014 NHL Draft: 1st Round, 24th Overall Pick by Pittsburgh 62.gif
Additional Information He was selected to the roster for the World Junior Under-18 Tournament in April. Saw time on the Finnish first line, where he did set up a few scoring chances and also display good responsible work in his own zone. Son of Sami. His Bloodline will call on many scouts to make decisions on just where he fits on their draft boards. So far he looks like a long term project that has some abilities but is still a bit tentative in his play, unwilling to pay the price to make the play.

@pilldoc

Dal Colle or Ritchie would be nice but they'll be long gone by the time we pick.

Perlini might fall to us. He's a big skilled fast LW but I have concerns with his compete level. He plays a little soft for his size. That's the reason he may fall. If he does he's worth taking a shot.

But reality is likely Tuch, Honka, Ehlers...Barbeshev should go around there, just not sure with the luck we've had that Philly takes a Russian.

@flyercanuck

So is it worth trying to move up to nab one of these guys.  If so...who would be a worthy trade partner and who would we have to give up?

Dal Colle will go 4th or 5th IMO. Ekblad and the two Sams should be top 3. Drasaitl is in the top 5 mix. Ritchie was falling earlier in the season but finished pretty strong. A couple of months ago I thought he might fall to around 12 or so, but now I think he's easily a top 10 pick. Either one of those guys would look good on Girouxs wing in a couple of years. But a what cost?

Snow is an idiot so you might be able to do something there. Maybe package 3 or 4 goalies? I think Van hangs on to their pick. The Leafs? Maybe. Vinnie + Read + our 1st? I don't want to trade read though.

Michael Dal Colle
blank.jpg
Date of Birth June 20, 1996 Height 6' 1.5 Weight 179 Country Canada Position Left Winger Secondary Position Center Shoots Left Amateur Team Oshawa Generals Draft History
Projected to be drafted in 2014 NHL Draft: 1st Round, 5th Overall Pick by New York 58.gif
Additional Information

Big bodied forward who plays strong on the puck with very good hands, balance, and power to his stride. Life-long centre currently being asked to play wing. he is good along the wall and clogs the front in anticipation of teammate's shots. Good passer with a longer reach and solid in his own zone. Solid 200 foot player whose frame looks to get thicker and make him even more of a load on the wall and in the slot. Far from the finished product, but reads the ice well and distributes the puck well on the attack. Final rank will be closely tied with how he develops by the draft.

Who we choose will depend on , what we get when we unload one of our extra centers. Our defense is absolute mediocrity, we have 3 good young prospects on the way,but one are considered NHL ready. Even if Ghost makes it next season, we realistically can't expect him to step in and play big minutes, so we will have to make some moves. Morin and Haag are probably one to two years away.

So...in a perfect world, the following happens..

We dump VLC , we will have to eat some of the contract,but it frees up some cap space.

We do not sign Timmo freeing up more cap space

We sign Niskanen and that helps our transition game, we will probably pay dearly and have to sign him long term, but we cannot go into next year with the highest paid mediocre defense in the league.

We trade either B Schenn or Laugton and Grossman for a mobile young defensively sound dman.

So we added one skating offensive dman and one skating defensive dman to go with Coburn, Schenn, McD and Streit , Gus is the 7th man.

So now at the draft we can take a speedy scoring winger hopefully with some size.

With these moves we improve ,speed ,the defense and get a winger. Too bad Wellwood is injured , his speed would have helped against the Rangers

Aguy that may just be there at #17...

Robby Fabbri

He's a center so i know he's on their radar!!

But if you want a Damn and one with a right hand shot... 

Anthony DeAngelo

And this is staying put i prefer to move up and take Ekblad.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Fabbri is a great player but on the small side. Never say die attitude and skill to go with it.

I want nothing to do with Deangelo - he's been suspended twice this season for racial slurs...once against his own teammate. Simmonds would likely end up punching his lights out. He's also smaller than Ghost. Pass.

Fabbri is a great player but on the small side. Never say die attitude and skill to go with it.

I want nothing to do with Deangelo - he's been suspended twice this season for racial slurs...once against his own teammate. Simmonds would likely end up punching his lights out. He's also smaller than Ghost. Pass.

Really FC how come that hasn't been everywhere? No doubting you and no then stay away from that. Not that its ok verse the other team but to your own team just reaks of stupid...I'll pass. Ekblad it is then...settled!

@OccamsRazor

Deangelos coach brought it to the league...so apparently he figured it was more than a team issue. He got 8 games for that one. When the guy doesn't learn from the 1st one....And then there's the fact we already have a similiar sized prospect on D who looks to be every bit as good if not better.

@OccamsRazor

Deangelos coach brought it to the league...so apparently he figured it was more than a team issue. He got 8 games for that one. When the guy doesn't learn from the 1st one....And then there's the fact we already have a similiar sized prospect on D who looks to be every bit as good if not better.

So ill ask you this question move would you try to move up and take Ekblad I know it would be costly but he is suppose to be a corner stone franchise Dman that don't come along very often. Or pass and stay put like I said it will cost Morin the 1st rounder and a couple more players/prospects or would it not be worth the risk?

Edited by OccamsRazor

I'm a little biased when it comes to Ekblad. But I'm not trading Morin, a 1st and Laughton or whatever else it takes. I mentioned in another thread I think Ekblad is going to be a very good player. But I don't think he'll be a true #1 stud. Maybe he will, but I want the Flyers to stop these 2 or 3 for 1 deals. I prefer the "reverse" Flyer moves, like Carter for Voracek + Couturier + Cousins or Richards for Simmonds + Schenn + Grossmann. Let Morin and Laughton and our 1st develop and see what we have.

I'm a little biased when it comes to Ekblad. But I'm not trading Morin, a 1st and Laughton or whatever else it takes. I mentioned in another thread I think Ekblad is going to be a very good player. But I don't think he'll be a true #1 stud. Maybe he will, but I want the Flyers to stop these 2 or 3 for 1 deals. I prefer the "reverse" Flyer moves, like Carter for Voracek + Couturier + Cousins or Richards for Simmonds + Schenn + Grossmann. Let Morin and Laughton and our 1st develop and see what we have.

Ok sounds good then just stay put and take the best player available especially now after the defensive restock in last years draft now i truly feel better about saying that hopefully it will keep the Flyers from reaching to fill a need.

@OccamsRazor

It doesn't mean I'm right. :huh:

No it doesn't but if he ain't the next Lindros/Pronger type then you have the right idea. And it's the way i feel so it's a real easy persuasion. They are finally changing their ways it seems and heading in the right no reason to revert back to old ways. 

With Hexy now the GM, what should be the primary focus on this years draft?

LW is a weak spot throughout the Flyers all the way up to the BIG club so i want a natural LW.

My vote goes to Kapanen even if they have to move up to get him!!!!! :D