CBJ trades Umberger for Hartnell

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got an NHL alert on my phone that the Flyers traded Hartnell to Columbus for RJ Umberger and a 4th rounder...Discuss

This is a nice deal. Yes another center but they went from 5 more years of Hartsy @ 4.75 mill per to a 3 year deal with RJ @ 4.6 mill per.

So they save 150K and got a 4th rounder too.

I like it.

Had this been Homer the draft pick would have went the other way. 

Oh yeah Umberger can play LW too is a left hand shot so who knows.

Oh yeah Umberger can play LW too is a left hand shot so who knows.

TSN has Umberger listed as RW/LW.  Had he been playing the wing for Columbus?  He was a center with us, if I'm not mistaken, but it seems like forever since he was in a Flyers uniform so I could be wrong.  When he got laid out by Campbell, I'm fairly certain he was at center!

TSN has Umberger listed as RW/LW.  Had he been playing the wing for Columbus?  He was a center with us, if I'm not mistaken, but it seems like forever since he was in a Flyers uniform so I could be wrong.  When he got laid out by Campbell, I'm fairly certain he was at center!

He actually played all 3 spots in Columbus and i'm not even gonna guess what the Flyers have planed they could be planning on moving Brayden then he could play 2nd or 3rd line center for all i know. But i feel Hexy ain't done.

So.....that saves us a whopping $150k to the cap in each of the next three years. RJ's deal has 3 years left as opposed to Hartnell's 5, so I guess that's the prize

He could be replacing Brayden too who maybe on his way out we'll just have to stand by and wait and see.

Impending thread merger alert

ha,  not necessarily

Blue Jackets GM is thrilled with the Hartnell trade --  "He's the epitome of the type of player we want in our organization"

Flyers get worse for the next year or so, but get out of that contract

That remains to be seen RJ scored 18 goals last year and Hartnell scored 20 playing with G. And they got a 4th too.

That remains to be seen RJ scored 18 goals last year and Hartnell scored 20 playing with G. And they got a 4th too.

Hartnell brings a lot more than goals compared to Umberger. He's a guy you'd hate to play against. And a great guy to have on your team. 

@off_the_post

I like Hartnell, just not at that number and certainly not for the length left on that deal. Not for what he brings at this point in his career.

We'd all do well to bear in mind that, even though he wasn't putting up great numbers, he also was a guy who filled a role and who took alot of abuse for the younger guys....who may end up absorbing a bit more of that now

Umberger has been mostly a wing for the Jackets for the past several years. His faceoff skills have become meh. Quite frankly i am surprised by the deal, i thought Umberger would simply be bought out.

The plus for the Flyers is getting rid of Hartnells 5 remaining years on his contract. At this point, even up i would personally take Hartnell, warts and all over what i have seen out of Umberger over the past two years but Hextall managed to move an unmovable contract. Big win for the Flyers in that regard. And who knows, Umberger isnt exactly old, he might light a fire coming back to the Flyers.

@sarsippius

Philly just got easier to play against. Columbus just got harder. 

But in the long run, it's a good move IMO.

Agreed on all 3, but most most importantly the last point. Hexy is slimming down the numbers for sure, take a step back to move forward is all right from where I'm sitting

Yeah, I'm on the fence regarding this move. Hartnell provided some grit, and Columbus is going to benefit from that.

As has been said, it may be a move to set up a deal of Schenn (though with VLC here, it would seem unnecessary to bring in someone to play center on the second line - unless VLC is on the move too). It may very well have just been a salary dump. Consider this: If the Flyers were to use an ordinary buyout on Umberger, it would cost them 1.6 million per year for 3 years, then 1.5 for 3 more. That's 3+ million in cap space per year that Hartnell's contract would have been here, plus 1.5 million in dead money for a sixth - as opposed to buying out Hartnell which would have run them 10 years.

Archived