CBJ trades Umberger for Hartnell

Hartnell brings a lot more than goals compared to Umberger.

RJ is more versatile though plays all 3 positions whereas Hartnell could only play LW.

And RJ is more disciplined to 26 pims in 74 games versus Hartnell's 103 in 78 games. I'll welcome that. Flyers need less time in the sin bin this can not be overstated!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate it. Hartnell is the better player out of the two. We now have one big forward in simmonds. I wanna throw up.

I'm not a huge fan of Hartnell.  In fact, I've complained and moaned about him more than not.  But your reaction sounds about the same as mine.

I get the trading 5 years of big contract for 3 years of slightly less big contract.  And getting a pick on top of that--even if it is a 4th--is kind of cool.

But you're right that he's the better player of the two and (I think it was..) @flyercanuck is right that the Flyers just got easier to play against.   I guess I'm okay and waiting to see what else is happening, but I'm not sure I'm happy about it.  Also, I'm not with those who think this is precursor to something else.   It's possible, but I wonder.

I hate it. Hartnell is the better player out of the two. We now have one big forward in simmonds. I wanna throw up.

If by "big" you mean "big, Couturier, VLC, Schenn, Voracek and Hall are all bigger than Simmonds. If you mean tough, gritty, in-your-face... point taken.

I'm pissed and sick to my stomach. If this is it I'm done with this team. The cap relieve now and in a few years is retarded. The cap will increase for years and more then enough to cover hartnels contract. Now we will be run over by Boston and the likes. We will be run out of the rink now. Not to mention Umberger was a healthy scratch a lot. Horrible.

Agreed on all 3, but most most importantly the last point.

Flyer just got a guy who can stay upright on the ice therefore more than likely contributing to more puck possession time and then less time in the penalty box. 26 pims in 74 games is impressive compared to Hartnell's 103!!! 

I'm not a huge fan of Hartnell.  In fact, I've complained and moaned about him more than not.  But your reaction sounds about the same as mine.

I get the trading 5 years of big contract for 3 years of slightly less big contract.  And getting a pick on top of that--even if it is a 4th--is kind of cool.

But you're right that he's the better player of the two and (I think it was..) @flyercanuck is right that the Flyers just got easier to play against.   I guess I'm okay and waiting to see what else is happening, but I'm not sure I'm happy about it.  Also, I'm not with those who think this is precursor to something else.   It's possible, but I wonder.

I'm in wait and see mode. A lot is going to depend on what else Hextall does during the offseason. Since the move is somewhat puzzling on its face - I agree, it makes the Flyers easier to play against, and Hartnell is the better player - I think it speaks to a bigger plan. Since it's the first real move of Hextall's time at GM, it's hard to gauge it immediately, and it will be best to evaluate it with how it fits in with how he constructs the team over the next couple of months.

I'm pissed and sick to my stomach. If this is it I'm done with this team.

This post is proof no matter what the Flyers do someone is still going to complain and whine about it. Proof you just can't make Flyer fans happy. Point taken.

@OccamsRazor

Girouxs going to have to re-calibrate his passes if his winger is going to be standing up all the time. Or on the ice for that matter.

Meltzer just eluded to Brayden more than likely being the new 1st line LW in the side box/twitter spot.

Well, I did not see this coming. What a bizarre trade. I guess that was Hexy's first move in undoing the dumb Homer-era contracts.

Hartnell - love the player, hate the contract. Even with diminishing production, he apparently was a good glue guy for the team.

I liked Umberger when he was here. 

I'm not sure it's a set up to something bigger.... all Hexy did was shed a few years in terms of contract commitment. The salary cap difference is negligible. Where Umberger *might* be a strategic move is if Vinny or Schenn are moved - at least RJ has the experience of being a center and can play that role if we need him to. Kind of an insurance trade, perhaps.

Meltzer just eluded to Brayden more than likely being the new 1st line LW in the side box/twitter spot.

When Schenn is playing with confidence, he can be a tough SOB.  I rememebr when he cross checked Crosby on his way back to the bench during the game when Lavy was giving it to the Pens bench.  He was also good at throwing some big hits for a skilled player and thats when I was convinced he was ready to make a big statement.  Still waiting to see that player again.  Maybe playing up on the top line will get him amped up.  I just hope they don't give up on him yet

Rux can't even get to the bottom of whether he and Rad are the same person.

Very good point....yes i should get phlfly to investigate!!!!!!!!!!!! No it will be G's fault no matter what!!!!!!!!!

Archived