Forsberg, Modano, Blake and Hasek chosen by the Hall

yave1964

Peter Forsberg, Mike Modano, rob Blake and Dominic Hasek were tabbed for the Hall of Fame moments ago along with Linesman Bill McCreary and Pat Burns in the Builder category. Quite a class.

• Like 1

Somehow I cut the first few letters off Forsberg's name on the title page. Oops.

Modano, Forsberg, Hasek all seemed locks to me. Blake, meh, he was, to me, one of a handful of guys of near equal value such as Recchi and even Lindros and the dart was tossed and must have hit his name. I never really thought of him as a hall of famer while he was playing, but the door only swings one way so he is in for good.

@yave1964  Agree with the other 3, but Blake over Lindros is crazy. Rob was a better than average d-man....but never considered him great. Lindros is still in the top 5 all time for points per game average. He deserved this honour before Blake IMHO.

@yave1964  Agree with the other 3, but Blake over Lindros is crazy. Rob was a better than average d-man....but never considered him great. Lindros is still in the top 5 all time for points per game average. He deserved this honour before Blake IMHO.

Agree with Blake, he was a compiler, the type of guy who hung around forever putting up his numbers. I don't see Dan Boyle as a HOFer, I certainly see him as the same type of player as Blake.

I also don't see Lindros as a HOFer, he was a distraction to his team, he played on some great clubs that fell short. He was dealt for Forsberg plus, Fappa is deserving in every way of the hall, a winner, a guy who elevated his team. Lindros hurt his team with outside distractions in the same way as a drug abusing WR in the NFl. He squandered his talent. To me, Recchi was the logical fourth over Blake, if anyone. He was a bit of a compiler too however, but he did win.

@yave1964  Well, at one point, Lindros was in the top 5 all time for pts per game average. The last few years with the Rags and Leafs did not help him out in a historical context. I get what you are saying about the well publicized negatives associated with Eric....but in the end, the proof is in the pudding. He still sit's a *very* respectable 19th overall in pts per game with 1.138....and look at the hefty HOF'ers surrounding him in these standings.....wow.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-players-all-time-points-per-game-leaders.html

Interesting note, 36 of the top 50 all time points per game average leaders are Canadian. The U.S has two representivies, Pat Lalalalalafontaine and Brett Hull....who is really Canadian but you guys stole him from us.....ha ha.

@jammer2

He never won. He played on teams that should have won and didn't, as the teams best player. He is considered by many to be the reason Quebec lost its franchise. His family. Ugh.

Points per game is a valid stat, he played in the high scoring decades and put up good numbers and even won a Hart trophy, but he had a short career, limited by injuries both real and imagined.

In 2002 when the Wings were looking to retool there were many who criticized the team for not going hard after Lindros and instead landing Hull and Robitaille. I was not one of them. He never won and IMHO no team with him as the best player ever would have or could have. I don't think the Scotty Bowman led 1970's Canadiens could have won with him centering Lafleur and Shutt. I have more disdain for Lindros than any player in the history of the game. He hurt his brand by placing himself above the game and above the province of Quebec. Bobby Clarke, love him or hate him deserved better. Lindros is a Hall of Famer the day I go on a date with Angelina Jolie.

I know this is absolutely the wrong forum to say this in as a Flyer forum but my opinion of Lindros is he squandered one of the top ten talents of all time. Did he still put up eye popping numbers? Sure. Were they anywhere near the numbers they should have been or did he win? God no. Lindros essentially stole his paycheck and wasted one of the worlds greatest skill sets of all time. Thousands upon thousands of players play with much more intensity and desire, through broken bones and other injuries. Lindros was not one of them and it is a damn shame. The legend of Eric could have and should have been so much more. What he did was not enough. Not enough by half.

@yave1964   The one thing a lot of people forget the early Flyers years, before the LOD....where he carried bums like Fedek on the crazy 8 line....actually turned him into a productive player....a sure sign of a star, taking an average player and making him matter.

About damn time Pat Burns got into the HHOF. It's a shame it took this long.

What a great coach he was. His time as a Sergent really helped him develop the repoir part of this coaching persona....my way or the highway....LOL!

What a great coach he was. His time as a Sergent really helped him develop the repoir part of this coaching persona....my way or the highway....LOL!

I read the John Kordic book, they spoke about roid rage and how Kordic intimidated Jean Perron on a regular basis, and how he tried it with Burns when the coach sat him as a healthy scratch. Wrong guy. The former cop had Kordic backed up against the wall in a split second lighting his rear up, the whole team knew that Burns was in charge and that was about it for challenges to his authority. Pretty lousy book but some cool stories like that one.

Somehow I cut the first few letters off Forsberg's name on the title page. Oops.

Modano, Forsberg, Hasek all seemed locks to me. Blake, meh, he was, to me, one of a handful of guys of near equal value such as Recchi and even Lindros and the dart was tossed and must have hit his name. I never really thought of him as a hall of famer while he was playing, but the door only swings one way so he is in for good.

Blake gets in before Lindros?

The hall of fame is a joke.

Efff Points per game averages. Lindros was a freaking force of nature on Skates. He was a bigger version of Cam Neely with better passing and Hockey IQ.

Yes he was injured a lot, and yes he did have some character flaws, but he was a better Hockey player than Blake by a country mile.

Rob Blake was good, but Lindros was the best player in the league, or at least tied with some of the best during his prime.

• Like 1

@J0e Th0rnton  I will take a lot of heat for this, but to be quiet honest, if I got to pick between Cam Neeley and Eric Lindros in their absolute best years with no injuries affecting the choice, I'd take Cam over Eric. Nobody...and I do mean nobody dominated the NHL like Cam did during his quest for 50 in 50. It was a shame to see his career cut so short by injuries, cause he was a true top notch elite talent that was virtually unstoppable when he was clicking on all cylinders.

@J0e Th0rnton  I will take a lot of heat for this, but to be quiet honest, if I got to pick between Cam Neeley and Eric Lindros in their absolute best years with no injuries affecting the choice, I'd take Cam over Eric. Nobody...and I do mean nobody dominated the NHL like Cam did during his quest for 50 in 50. It was a shame to see his career cut so short by injuries, cause he was a true top notch elite talent that was virtually unstoppable when he was clicking on all cylinders.

Jam, I was a Bruins fan back then and I kinda disagree.

Neely's 50 in 44 was amazing. But his play had changed dramatically then. He was on one leg and not the wrecking ball he used to be. He learned from watching in the stands a bit better hockey sense and where to drift to get fed the puck and put it away, and having Adam Oates added to the team dramatically made that a great Combo.

But The Cam I loved most and felt was the most effective was the Cam Neely who could skate like the wind and just destroy people on the forecheck. They wrote in the freaking hitting from behind rule because of Neely just creaming people. Defensemen were so afraid of him on the forecheck back then that they would cough up the puck just to get the hell out of the way. Scott Stevens(On the caps) went in for one of his patented Scott Stevens special hits on that Cam Neely, and BOUNCED OFF FLAT TO HIS BUTT as Cam drove through him to the net and scored. I will never forget that.

The 50 in 44 Neely was amazing, but not as amazing as he was before. I know it sounds weird and that it was his best scoring year, but that is how I feel.

I HATE ULF SAMUELSSON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NrZ39PVKSk

Edited by J0e Th0rnton

@J0e Th0rnton  There is no doubt Cam was one of the most dominating players ever. When he was on, he was a beast on the forecheck and what a set of hands...a very special talent...no doubt about it. Before all the injuries, he brought it like no one else, his energy level, willingness to cut to the tough places....he was just so much fun to watch. He had that fire in his eyes, like a modern day Rocket Richard.

I guess we can all thank Scott Stevens for that. :angry:

In that era if you were stupid enough to skate through the middle with your head down when Stevens was on the ice it usually didn't end well.

• Like 1

@J0e Th0rnton  There is no doubt Cam was one of the most dominating players ever. When he was on, he was a beast on the forecheck and what a set of hands...a very special talent...no doubt about it. Before all the injuries, he brought it like no one else, his energy level, willingness to cut to the tough places....he was just so much fun to watch. He had that fire in his eyes, like a modern day Rocket Richard.

I dunno about "Ever", but he was the guy they started throwing the term power forward around for. I loved him to death. His hands and skating were something to behold in his prime, same as his hardcore forechecking and just bullrushing through defenders like they were bowling pins.

I guess we can all thank Scott Stevens for that.   :angry:

I always thought it was the Kasperitus hit that ruined him first. The Stevens hit was just the cherry on top.

But yeah, skating with his head down was a huge problem. It was perfectly legal to deck guys when they did that back then and he spent too much time watching the puck on his stick. He got away with it in juniors because of his size.

I know this is absolutely the wrong forum to say this in as a Flyer forum but my opinion of Lindros is he squandered one of the top ten talents of all time. Did he still put up eye popping numbers? Sure. Were they anywhere near the numbers they should have been or did he win? God no. Lindros essentially stole his paycheck and wasted one of the worlds greatest skill sets of all time. Thousands upon thousands of players play with much more intensity and desire, through broken bones and other injuries. Lindros was not one of them and it is a damn shame. The legend of Eric could have and should have been so much more. What he did was not enough. Not enough by half.

Yeah....just stop it right there. You make it sound like he had the hype - and disappointing numbers - of Falloon or Daigle. He didn't deliver ultimately, but his career was better than words like "stole his paycheck" or "squandered" indicate. I think you can criticize him - a lot of which I'd probably agree with - without saying something that dumb.

If Neely is in, Lindros should be in/get in.  Lindros dominated his era, unlike Neely.  No one says the "Neely era"...you still hear people call a window of time the "Lindros era".  

Their numbers are quite similar, and Neely didn't have to play in the trap era.  Lindros played against a team that defined the trap era-for most of his career. 

They are both great players, they both deserve to be in the HHOF.