Forsberg, Modano, Blake and Hasek chosen by the Hall

yave1964

Any guy who refuses to play for an organization before his first big league game has an ego. You can't pull a move like that and not have at least a little inflated sense of your own value.

And if you are going to blame his parents for him being alienated, you gotta blame the grown man who allowed that to happen too.

I sure am going to blame his parents. They did it in juniors and they did it again for the NHL draft. I hardly consider an 18 y/o a grown man (even though he can go fight a war). Seriously, if you think Eric himself orchestrated those demands, you are kidding yourself. 

Truthfully, when John Leclaire is your best friend on the team, I hardly can think you have an ego. Many people have a hard time disconnecting themselves from their families- and that frankly was Erics biggest down fall. He should have done it as soon as they told him not to play for the Ramparts in juniors. Its the parents that had the egos that they thought they were bigger than the game. 

How is a 16 y/o supposed to stand up to his parents whom his whole life have not only facilitated his hockey development, but steered it? 

Well, this was is what Clarke said in a 2007 interview:

"Yes, based on his ability to play the game and based on his contributions as a player," said Clarke, who was Lindros' boyhood idol.

"I think you have to separate all the crap that went on. Particularly when he played for the Flyers, it was just outstanding, dominant hockey — the first of the huge, big men with small man's skill."

"The standards that were put on this kid were very unfair," Clarke said. "Nobody could live up to those standards, and I think he was awful special as a player and awful good.

"But he wasn't Wayne Gretzky and he wasn't Mario Lemieux. He was a different type of player, but had he stayed healthy … he may have been at that standard."

"He was an easy guy to have around, didn't cause problems, and didn't really demand anything extra for himself," Clarke said. "He didn't cause any problems — it was his family that ended up causing problems, between Eric and myself or between Eric and the team."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/eric-lindros-is-a-hall-of-famer-clarke-1.645087

Based off of that, I think Clarke deserves consideration for pope the next time the Cardinals vote.

Its a bit unclear to me how Forsberg is a shoe-in and not Lindros. They there stats are nearly identical across the board, with two exceptions: Lindros had double the pims and Forsberg had double the rings (though truthfully Forsberg had not much to do with the second due to ruptured spleen. 

But, both players are nearly a 1.17 ppg in playoffs. I just don't get how every gaga over Forsberg was an obvious no-brainer and Lindros is / was not.  I really don't mind black so much. We are talking a .7 ppg player in both regular season and playoffs. Thats pretty darn impressive to me. Blakes numbers are very near Ray Bourques (Bourques were higher because he played signicantly longer, but the ppg was about the same). 

Blake should not be compared in the same universe as Bourque lol.

But see, that were the problem starts to lie. JR Ewing guy (from Edmonton) was making some really compelling arguments about how HOF inductees should be selected. Allot of times when the balloting is done, many of the folks voting only have black and white to go by as the years have rolled by. 

I agree that Blake should not be compared. I will have to go dig up that guys post. He was referencing a baseball writer who developed a criteria system to determine if a player should be inducted or not. 

Edited by Vanflyer

But see, that were the problem starts to lie. JR Ewing guy (from Edmonton) was making some really compelling arguments about how HOF inductees should be selected. Allot of times when the balloting is done, many of the folks voting only have black and white to go by as the years have rolled by. 

I agree that Blake should not be compared. I will have to go dig up that guys post. He was referencing a baseball writer who developed a criteria system to determine if a player should be inducted or not. 

Here's the cool thing: the use of this process isn't limited to baseball/hockey Hall of Fame discussions. It can be modified and used to discuss musicians, film makers, politicians, etc, and pretty much anything which you could think of

Not only that, but I don't get the comparison in PPG between Blake (0.61) and Bourque (0.98). Not even close to the same. Two players each playing 1,000 games with those rates will have one of them with 610 points and the other 980.

Not even in the same realm.

Not only that, but I don't get the comparison in PPG between Blake (0.61) and Bourque (0.98). Not even close to the same. Two players each playing 1,000 games with those rates will have one of them with 610 points and the other 980.

Not even in the same realm.

Well, Ray Bourque was a Norris candidate in his rookie year, and a Norris candidate in his retirement year 22 years later if that tells us anything. Not to mention a multiple time Hart candidate.

Blake is just not in the same universe. Bourque is arguably the 2nd best of all time after Bobby Orr. The things he did on that offensively weak Bruins team are amazing. In the era where a lot of top forwards were putting up 130+ points, it was not uncommon to see the top Bruins forwards with around 80 points(Most good teams had second line players scoring like that). And the bruins really did not have great depth. Imagine him playing 30 minutes a night on a team with the depth of the 80's Gretzky Oilers or the 90's Yzerman red wings. The cherry on top is that he was universally hailed as one of the best defensive defensemen in the game.

The worst Bourque ever finished in Norris voting in 22 years was the 3 years he finished 7th overall(Age 36, 37, 39). And that was when age was starting to catch up to him and the Bruins were in rebuild mode and nobody could do anything with his perfect passes. Every other year of his career, he finished no lower than 4th for the Norris trophy.

Blake should be compared in the category of guys like Doug Wilson, or Larry Murphy.