Blue Jackets GM explains why Scott Hartnell waived no-move clause for Columbus

By Greg Wyshynski13 minutes agoPuck Daddy

There’s still a bit of mystery as to why Scott Hartnell would waive his no-movement clause just one year into a six-year contract extension with the Philadelphia Flyers to accept a trade to the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Flyers GM Ron Hextall would only talk about the speed and versatility of R.J. Umberger, for whom Hartnell was traded, and that the two-year difference in their contract term was a factor.

read the entire article here:  http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/blue-jackets-gm-explains-why-scott-hartnell-waived-no-move-clause-for-columbus-201211186.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Geez, signing a long term deal with the Flyers is the kiss of death. G should be looking over his shoulder right about now....when is the last time a Flyer signed a long term deal and played it out in it's entirety? Danny boy came within a year or so...but I honestly can't remember the last time (if ever) this was done.

Umberger's speed?? My God the man could be timed with a sun dial last year. If He is the answer that the Flyers have found in their search for team speed than I do not believe they have watched too many Jackets games lately........

Umberger's speed?? My God the man could be timed with a sun dial last year. If He is the answer that the Flyers have found in their search for team speed than I do not believe they have watched too many Jackets games lately........

I agree, for the most part, Ummby has lead in boot disease. His first few steps are brutally slow. on the bright side, once he hits stride, he will not fall.

Geez, signing a long term deal with the Flyers is the kiss of death. G should be looking over his shoulder right about now....when is the last time a Flyer signed a long term deal and played it out in it's entirety? Danny boy came within a year or so...but I honestly can't remember the last time (if ever) this was done.

if G makes it to july 1st he's here for the duration so cross your fingers