Thank You Scott Hartnell

Dont worry FC... the Flyers will bring him back at some point :D   I am sure we will trade our draft pick this year for him in 3 years.

In all seriousness I wish the best to #19 and he was a class act.  Had the pleasure of meeting him and he was just a great guy to talk to and was a gentleman with every kid he came across.  

Edited by murraycraven

For sure!  I've really enjoyed Hartnell's time as a fan.  As a modern day 'cap' conscious fan, his deal was not going to help us longterm.  I wonder who steps up in his absence b/c he's going to be missed.  Community wise, Media wise, etc.  He probably took a lot of the heat off giroux.

I think we'll appreciate this deal 2-3 years from now, but to see him dealt and not get much in return, it stings a bit.

@fishbulb  Considering he is signed for 2 years longer than Ummby, (feels weird typing that again...lol) and Harts falls on half his ventures into the offensive zone, we got some decent return. One thing for sure, 14 goals in 30 playoff games is a LOT better than 19 goals in 91 playoff ventures. Far, far to often Harts was a non factor in playoff series, and he brought down the line he was on also. G and V can now make some *real* chemistry and that line just became exponentially more dangerous and creative. This move alone could translate into 20+ more goals on the year, many of them game winners....so a bit of addition by subtraction going on here.

I'm not 'dissing' umburglar on purpose... and i totally get scott's negatives, but todays move isn't going to make or break next year's team.  It's about putting ourselves in place 3-4 years down the road.  His positives will be missed.  Good old fartsmell.

Far, far to often Harts was a non factor in playoff series, and he brought down the line he was on also.

Yes this past playoff series is still fresh in my mind....and he was useless except at killing offensive momentum that G and Jake created.

Now just to go ahead and get this out the way i expect him to score in his very first game versus Philly to join the infamous X-Flyer score one echelon.

So if you too expect it now it won't hurt as much as when it happens.  

Considering he is signed for 2 years longer than Ummby

Now my wife can bring back her old scoring chant for Umberger....every time he would score she would yell in her best Pink Panther Steve Martin voice

"AMMMMbuuuurrrggerrrraaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Too funny you'd have to hear her do it. I posted the clip below where he say it now you to can join in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to tell her when she gets home!

How could anyone hate Scotty Hartnell?  His salary wasn't his fault and he is a quality player.  I expect him to do well in Columbus where different things may be expected from him.

I'll miss the lug.  He's a great character guy and seems to be a great teammate.

Many of us grew to despise the contract Hartnell was given...that 6 year albatross at almost $5 mil per year that was unmoveable. Well it's moved, and I can't say I'm overly sad to see it go. I imagine being pretty relieved 4 or 5 years from now it isn't part of our caphit. And I won't miss Scott Hartnell falling down just as a pass is arriving, or being part of a beautiful tic-tac-DOH! play from Giroux to Voracek to ol' cement hands.

But if there was a guy on that team that I'd love to have a beer or two with, it would have been Scotty. He was definately THE character of the team, the entertainment on and off the ice, the guy who kept it loose when the pressure was on. His charity work in the community around Philly is well known. He was always good for a laugh.

Hats off to one of the worst skaters I've ever had the pleasure of having a love/hate fan relationship with! Good luck Mr. Hartnell, but don't you dare win a @#$%ing cup in Columbus.

• Like 1

I love little nuances that the gf and I share also!

Speaking of which i think it was the last Penguins series my wife asked.... "Why is that number 19 guy always falling down he just fell down all by himself and no one touched him, can he not skate better than that???"

All were her actual words to me i remember back then and i pointed out to her that he has a charity for that purpose alone he donates money to she thought that was smart.

This sucks, but it's a business.

I'll miss Hartnell too. The player, the man, and the entertainer (Scott Fartsmell, #HartnellDown, throwing gloves on breakaways and turning that into a charity event for the needy in winter, the orange pylon video of Carle in a pond, etc etc).

He always stood up for g and v on that line. We have nobody who can play that type of hockey now. Simmonds? Switch sides ? I don't know. But now we are easy to play against especially with Boston and pit and even the caps in our division. There is nobody to replace him in the a and we have just lost a huge heart and soul of our team. Say what you want about that contract and his Hartnel down stuff, but we will miss him dearly against the bigger elite teams. Horrible deal . Unless this is the beginning of more deals. I don't see us getting anything close the heart and soul he had

• Like 1

One thing for sure, 14 goals in 30 playoff games is a LOT better than 19 goals in 91 playoff ventures

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/scott-hartnell-says-he-was-forced-out-of-philadelphia-223254051.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

“A few days ago … four or five days ago now … my agent got the call from Hexy and said there were a couple of teams that inquired about me. He hummed and hawed about my role and my position in Philadelphia, and he decided it was best for me to move on from the Flyers,” said Hartnell on Monday, after being sent to Columbus for former Flyer R.J. Umberger and a fourth-round pick in the 2015 draft.

“To be honest, I was shocked at first. I was upset. I was a little angry. I didn’t know what to think of it. I took a few days to look at the situation … it was hard. It wasn’t easy. It was a lot of emotion.”

“It had a lot to do with Hextall being named GM, and he wanted to put a fingerprint on how he wants to play,” he said, discussing his case. “He has a different vision for the club and their style of play going forward.”

I can't help but think this trade is somehow related to the Carter for Voracek, Coots, & Cousins trade. Was this the result of a "future considerations" kind of secret handshake deal that wasn't made public? "We'll take Carter (the cancer) off your hands but you better remember this in the future if we end up with a guy that ends up being a problem". So Umburger doesn't want to be in CBJ anymore and Columbus gets on the phone..."Remember that little deal we had?? Time to pay up". This scenario may be a little far fetched and both teams had different GMs in 2011 but I could see something like this happening.

does this mean Sheena Parveen is single and I have a chance at her lol

LOL

probably not, she is even more pretty in person though.

I liked Hartnell, I thought he was a good teammate, he had a nice shot, stuck up for his boys and was tough to play against.  However he wasn't top line material with Voracek and Giroux, he just doesn't skate well enough.  He was fine with Schenn and Simmer though....

I can't help but think like many others have said that this is a move with an eye toward the future.

Less years, slightly less money, a more versatile player coming back,  I liked RJ plenty too.

I am perplexed and will miss 19 in the orange and black, i'm in the minority , but I liked him.

I don't know that you're in the minority, Mojo. I will miss Hartnell on the team. Was first and foremost a team first guy. Lot of respect for him. Hope he finds some success in Columbus.

There is no one on the Flyers (at the moment) that can replace Hartnell as a top line agitator.  And the affect upon Giroux at losing his sometime line mate and full time buddy can't be yet evaluated.

I wasn't glad when they traded Umberger away in the first place, but I don't think this makes up for it.

Ah, well, thanks Scotty, have a good rest of your career.

Here is your tribute video some good memories on here my fav is the "SUCK IT PHANUEF!!!!!!!!!!!"

Gonna miss the big lug no matter what can never question his passion....i really really hate he was traded into the same division much less the same conference.

Favorite memories of him are the following: throwing the glove while trying to stop a breakaway; biting that guy in Pittsburgh; pulling the Hollywood Hogan move during a tv timeout on the Malkinmania fan in Pittsburgh; goals in g7 vs Boston in 2010 and tying g6 vs. Chicago.

Favorite memories of him are the following: throwing the glove while trying to stop a breakaway; biting that guy in Pittsburgh; pulling the Hollywood Hogan move during a tv timeout on the Malkinmania fan in Pittsburgh; goals in g7 vs Boston in 2010 and tying g6 vs. Chicago.

All very good choices.

Far, far to often Harts was a non factor in playoff series, and he brought down the line he was on also.

it's funny I know that's true but I always remember the good times - he had those great goals in the 2010 run vs Boston - falling down backward, then another key goal, i forget which one. Hartnell was only good if the team was going good. As much of a spark as he is off the ice (from what I can tell) he wasn't one on the ice at all. He followed he didn't lead. I think he can click with Giroux/Voracek but when those guys struggled or just weren't playing their best Hartenll was just more dead weight - and a top line guy should be able to lead and be that spark if the line is dragging.

G and V can now make some *real* chemistry and that line just became exponentially more dangerous and creative. This move alone could translate into 20+ more goals on the year, many of them game winners....so a bit of addition by subtraction going on here.

20+ seems a stretch - basically you're saying Hartnell's replacement is good for 35-40 goals. Could be...could even be somebody already in the O&B - could be Voracek's year to make a splash, All-Star team. BSchenn's too.

There's no denying losing Hartnell is to a certain extent addition by subtraction. But I wouldn't minimize what we gave up because there's also subtraction by subtraction. Who will camp out in front of the net at even strength? We lost our agitator and a tough mother in general. I don't mind moving him but we gave up more than we got that's for sure.

The best thing about the move to me is that I finally feel like somebody has a plan - one that's mapped out in years not months.