So does this mean that we're rebuil..."retooling" ?

fishbulb

Making a decision to move Harntell for so little to me means that Hexy is already making moves for 3-4 years from now.  Not that all gm's don't keep the big picture in mind, but today's deal can only be explained that way.  As his first move it kinda means to me "We'll take the playoffs if we sneak in, but the flyers are now looking to "peak" again in a few years and "clean" house a bit.

I guess we'll see at the draft if we accumulate youth or make a trade. 

I bet on even moving down to get more picks...

• Like 2

I dont think so fish...

In the end I think the trade is a wash in terms of stats/production and Berube is a defense first coach so this fits his mold.  The longer I have to digest this move the more I am okay (not happy and not mad) with the transaction.   It is a bit of an odd trade but you trade one bad contract for another and get out of the last two years.    

Maybe Hextall is putting his eye towards the future and trying to build a team which would be a good sign.   It will be interesting to see what else takes place in the coming days and at the draft.   Something tells me this is just a eye towards the future move.  Hartnell was most likely getting moved off the top line this season which is why he wanted to waive is NMC.  

All in all I look at this as a lateral move w/ and eye towards the future - and a more defensive minded team.

• Like 1

@Irishjim  This trade makes the Flyers better. We can now skate without falling down, and the top line will have more chemistry...maybe the most important aspect of this deal. Plus, the Flyers get a much more proven playoff performer, somebody who has taken over series and dominate when it matters most. That is HUGE.

• Like 2

This is not a sign of rebuilding..hextall found a team that would take that dinosaur contract off there hands nothing more

I think that is part of it for sure Jim but I also think the Jackets would have used a compliance buyout on Umbie this year regardless.

Do you try Simmonds, barring an unforeseen acquisition?

I was kind of penciling in Simmer for the 2nd line, assuring it has strength, grit and scoring.....but now that I think about it, Simmer would do wonders in the cycling portion of the G and V line. Simmer is smart and creative enough to fit right in on that line....and he is maybe the toughest Flyer to knock off the puck, which would be a breath of fresh air on the top line.

The GVS line....just keeps GiVeS but does not take away......???

Do you try Simmonds, barring an unforeseen acquisition?

Not sure doom... Simmer is usually on the right so not sure if it would be a tough transition but worth a loo for sure.

I have to think they are targeting someone for the top line so it should be interesting

Simmer is certainly a 1st line material, and even more so, I have no doubt he will thrive on the 1st line playing with G and Voracek.  The problem I see with this is this will make our second line basically a non-factor.

I would think the Flyers are looking for a 1st line winger, but I gave up trying to figure out this team's logic.

Yeah, not rebuilding, his description didn't even sound like rebuilding.

His point is valid though if his title is not. Hopefully affording to resign BOTH Schenn and Coots in two years is difficult. Now Hexy knows he won't have to be paying off Hartnell for the first three ears of either of their contracts... Only RJ for one.

This is not a sign of rebuilding..hextall found a team that would take that dinosaur contract off there hands nothing more

Or they liked what they saw of Raffl there (makes sense to me if RJ is to play on 3rd line)... Or they want to move Schenner to LW on the first line so VLC can be a center again since he's apparently too old to learn any new tricks... Or any number of things really.

More than anything I just think this makes tripping players easier in three years.

Simmer is certainly a 1st line material, and even more so, I have no doubt he will thrive on the 1st line playing with G and Voracek. The problem I see with this is this will make our second line basically a non-factor.

I would think the Flyers are looking for a 1st line winger, but I gave up trying to figure out this team's logic.

I think that is part of it for sure Jim but I also think the Jackets would have used a compliance buyout on Umbie this year regardless.

both GMS are crafty getting 2 guys who have NTC to waive them..guess what they no longer have a NTC..HELLO BUFFALO

both GMS are crafty getting 2 guys who have NTC to waive them..guess what they no longer have a NTC..HELLO BUFFALO

Could you see Hartnell in Buffalo? Better yet would be the posts from Junkie/Rick professing his love for Hartnell!

• Like 4

In a perfect world, Buffalo trades one of it's many draft picks for Hartnell, he takes Leino's spot on the 3rd line and scores 0 goals on the season. He would then become the second worst Sabre signing of all time....lol.

In a perfect world, Buffalo trades one of it's many draft picks for Hartnell, he takes Leino's spot on the 3rd line and scores 0 goals on the season. He would then become the second worst Sabre signing of all time....lol.

i saw what you did there :P

Making a decision to move Harntell for so little to me means that Hexy is already making moves for 3-4 years from now. Not that all gm's don't keep the big picture in mind, but today's deal can only be explained that way. As his first move it kinda means to me "We'll take the playoffs if we sneak in, but the flyers are now looking to "peak" again in a few years and "clean" house a bit.

I guess we'll see at the draft if we accumulate youth or make a trade.

I bet on even moving down to get more picks...

Sorry, you lost me at your premise so I didn't quite get to the question stage.

I think the "for so little" is such an astounding mis-characterization that I couldn't get past it. A guy with pretty equal numbers and who is much more adaptable to different roles and situations, saves the team $7,5M AND a draft pick for a guy steadily declining, was a square peg in a round hole on every single line he played on, and took penalties like a Kardashian takes lovers AND had a NMC...

I don't know how one begins to use the phrase "so little" in this case.

No, it's not a rebuild or anything. It's a team getting out of an idiotic contact and trying to assemble some cohesive parts that have some hope of going together.

• Like 1

@doom88

I would not try Simmonds on Giroux's line.

I know I don't understand why but it's been tried and had been abject failure. Someone far smarter than me will have to explain why but Voracek, Giroux, and Simmonds just don't work.

@doom88

I would not try Simmonds on Giroux's line.

I know I don't understand why but it's been tried and had been abject failure. Someone far smarter than me will have to explain why but Voracek, Giroux, and Simmonds just don't work.

Well, I'm actually skeptical of it myself, but the players have grown. Maybe give chemistry another shot? It's worth looking in to, if for no other reason, could preview a PP with Simmonds down in front.

Next man after that might be Raffl or Schenn. Bigger risk for either, but might work.

From a pure protection standpoint, I love the idea of Simmer patrolling G's wing. Claude is no whimpy push over, but he is small as far as NHL forwards go. If anyone thinks they are going to make a run at G, Simmer is there on the ice, available to pound anyone who dares take liberties. If cheap shot artists know there is instant retribution awaiting them, they might just rethink their options....ha ha.

after I had time to digest this move I am ok with it.

lets see hartnell 451 PIMS in the past 4 yrs, RJ 108 PIM in the past 4yrs. RJ can play center and both wings kill PP's. RJ past 4 yrs 71 goals 78 helpers 149 total pts in the past 4 yrs. Hartnell 89 goals in the past 4 yrs 90 helpers179 total pts in 4 yrs a difference of 30pts between the two. How many times has hartnell been in box costing his team valuable 5on5 time a lot. Hexy is trying to get rid of over paid under-performing huge contracts Homer put in place. Hartnell had one great yr with Jagr and Roo setting him up.

we as fans can bitch all we want but hexy built a Cup winner in LA I would trust him more than Homer who blew up a Stanley Cup team in 2010

lets see hartnell 451 PIMS in the past 4 yrs, RJ 108 PIM in the past 4yrs. RJ can play center and both wings kill PP's. RJ past 4 yrs 71 goals 78 helpers 149 total pts in the past 4 yrs. Hartnell 89 goals in the past 4 yrs 90 helpers179 total pts in 4 yrs a difference of 30pts between the two. How many times has hartnell been in box costing his team valuable 5on5 time a lot. hexy is trying to get rid of over paid under-performing and dub contracts Homer put in place. Hartnell had one great yr with Jagr and Roo setting him up.
lets see hartnell 451 PIMS in the past 4 yrs, RJ 108 PIM in the past 4yrs. RJ can play center and both wings kill PP's. RJ past 4 yrs 71 goals 78 helpers 149 total pts in the past 4 yrs. Hartnell 89 goals in the past 4 yrs 90 helpers179 total pts in 4 yrs a difference of 30pts between the two. How many times has hartnell been in box costing his team valuable 5on5 time a lot. hexy is trying to get rid of over paid under-performing and dub contracts Homer put in place. Hartnell had one great yr with Jagr and Roo setting him up.
lets see hartnell 451 PIMS in the past 4 yrs, RJ 108 PIM in the past 4yrs. RJ can play center and both wings kill PP's. RJ past 4 yrs 71 goals 78 helpers 149 total pts in the past 4 yrs. Hartnell 89 goals in the past 4 yrs 90 helpers179 total pts in 4 yrs a difference of 30pts between the two. How many times has hartnell been in box costing his team valuable 5on5 time a lot. hexy is trying to get rid of over paid under-performing and dub contracts Homer put in place. Hartnell had one great yr with Jagr and Roo setting him up.lets see hartnell 451 PIMS in the past 4 yrs, RJ 108 PIM in the past 4yrs. RJ can play center and both wings kill PP's. RJ past 4 yrs 71 goals 78 helpers 149 total pts in the past 4 yrs. Hartnell 89 goals in the past 4 yrs 90 helpers179 total pts in 4 yrs a difference of 30pts between the two. How many times has hartnell been in box costing his team valuable 5on5 time a lot. hexy is trying to get rid of over paid under-performing and dub contracts Homer put in place. Hartnell had one great yr with Jagr and Roo setting him up.

after I had time to digest this move I am ok with it.

lets see hartnell 451 PIMS in the past 4 yrs, RJ 108 PIM in the past 4yrs. RJ can play center and both wings kill PP's. RJ past 4 yrs 71 goals 78 helpers 149 total pts in the past 4 yrs. Hartnell 89 goals in the past 4 yrs 90 helpers179 total pts in 4 yrs a difference of 30pts between the two. How many times has hartnell been in box costing his team valuable 5on5 time a lot. Hexy is trying to get rid of over paid under-performing huge contracts Homer put in place. Hartnell had one great yr with Jagr and Roo setting him up.

we as fans can bitch all we want but hexy built a Cup winner in LA I would trust him more than Homer who blew up a Stanley Cup team in 2010

lets see hartnell 451 PIMS in the past 4 yrs, RJ 108 PIM in the past 4yrs. RJ can play center and both wings kill PP's. RJ past 4 yrs 71 goals 78 helpers 149 total pts in the past 4 yrs. Hartnell 89 goals in the past 4 yrs 90 helpers179 total pts in 4 yrs a difference of 30pts between the two. How many times has hartnell been in box costing his team valuable 5on5 time a lot. hexy is trying to get rid of over paid under-performing and dub contracts Homer put in place. Hartnell had one great yr with Jagr and Roo setting him up.lets see hartnell 451 PIMS in the past 4 yrs, RJ 108 PIM in the past 4yrs. RJ can play center and both wings kill PP's. RJ past 4 yrs 71 goals 78 helpers 149 total pts in the past 4 yrs. Hartnell 89 goals in the past 4 yrs 90 helpers179 total pts in 4 yrs a difference of 30pts between the two. How many times has hartnell been in box costing his team valuable 5on5 time a lot. hexy is trying to get rid of over paid under-performing and dub contracts Homer put in place. Hartnell had one great yr with Jagr and Roo setting him up.

Interesting note: Hartnell was 8th in the league last year in penalties drawn. Overall, he committed a whopping one penalty more than he drew. Did he put the Flyers down a man fairly often? Absolutely, but that tends to happen with power forwards due to their style of play. The fact that he also put the Flyers up a man at about the same pace shouldn't be ignored.