So does this mean that we're rebuil..."retooling" ?

fishbulb

Interesting note: Hartnell was 8th in the league last year in penalties drawn. Overall, he committed a whopping one penalty more than he drew. Did he put the Flyers down a man fairly often? Absolutely, but that tends to happen with power forwards due to their style of play. The fact that he also put the Flyers up a man at about the same pace shouldn't be ignored.

Harts certainly drew out the worst in opponents....he drove them crazy at times. Who can forget the classic where Harts scored on a tip against Toronto and Phaneuf immediately dropped the gloves and went after him, Scott didn't even have a chance to celebrate before the fisticuffs broke out!!

Plus, the Flyers get a much more proven playoff performer, somebody who has taken over series and dominate when it matters most. That is HUGE.

C'mon Jammer. One time in his career he did that and that was SIX years ago. Hartnell has done exactly what he does in the regular season for the flyers and is a .5 ppg player in the playoffs. Also as far as "proven" goes, hartnell has played 3 times as many playoff games. Umberger has played 30 playoff games (22 with the flyers). Since then, in the last 6 years, only 8 games.  

Seems like Hexy is going for the drafts/youngsters yes. I like that, I have been saying we should do this since Tampa bay won the cup. And we have been doing it, we just jumped ship with it. I mean Stevens with the phantoms core (you know those L.A guys now). We had it all going, but Stevens had to go, Lavy did a nice race with the team but then, instead of keeping the youths, we kept Lavy and here we are again... stucked with guys like Vinny and a old school coach and a Hexy who wants to retool. How will the Cheif handling draftpicks? I like him but I dont think he is the man for the job. I think Gus could have been a good defensemen for us with the right coach. But its a very fragile time, when players is on the line between AHL/NHL. Everyone can make good NHL games but can you grow into it, can you take more responsibility and become a real NHL player? I think Gus could with the right coach. Its so very important you have the right coach when you are handling young players. Coaches like Hitch, Lavy, Cheif is not the best choices.

@doom88

I would not try Simmonds on Giroux's line.

I know I don't understand why but it's been tried and had been abject failure. Someone far smarter than me will have to explain why but Voracek, Giroux, and Simmonds just don't work.

Far smarter you say?  Okay, I'll give it a go.

Jake and Giroux thrive on quick passes, puck possession, 1-2's and so on.  They want the puck on their stick.  Simmonds thrives at mucking along the boards, using his body to hold the puck but what I think he doesn't have for that line is the quick passing ability.  Whoever plays on Giroux's line needs to have great hands, expect the puck at anytime and know where the puck is going before he even gets it.  I guess you could call that vision.  I think that's what seperates good players from great players.  Jake/Giroux are (or will be considered) great players.   Simmonds is good and his work-ethic makes him even better, but as far as raw talent (vision) he just doesn't fit on the first line.

That's my go at it. 

• Like 2

There are a few reasons why Hartnell was traded IMHO:

1) He has been having trouble staying shape.  It's been said a few times over the past couple of years. 

2) He's past his prime to be (and really never should have been) on the first line.  (so are Umby's but it's a shorter contract and he can play L,C,R so he is more versitle)

3) He doesn't fit in on the 2nd line

4) He makes to much money to be on the 3rd line (not his fault but..)

5) The other players on his line make him better, not the other way around

6) His best year was with Jagr and Giroux.  Take out that year and he is average (especially because of his salary)

7) Umby players better defense than Hartnell and if on the third line, thats what the Flyers will need.

8) The best thing Hartnell does now is stand in front of the goalie on the powerplay.   Simmonds does that just as effectively making Harnell redundant.

To answer the OP, I don't think this signals a rebuilding/retooling phase.  As long as Snider is pulling the strings, I don't think that's in their vocabulary.   I think it just made sense to make the trade.

• Like 1

Who plays on the top line? Hartnell had good chemistry with Giroux, who replaces him?

A Weeble Wobble.  He won't fall down quite as much and has a bigger butt for pucks to bounce into the net off of.

@OccamsRazor

I thought he was a LW? If not, he's a Kapanen he can play anywhere ;)

Well he is a righthand shot and everything i have seen has him as a RW.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=92226

i found this mock that has him listed as a LW but i'm not sure how effective he would be on his off wing.

Like i said besides the one listed mock he has always been known as a RW. His dad was a RW.

Well he is a righthand shot and everything i have seen has him as a RW.

i found this mock that has him listed as a LW but i'm not sure how effective he would be on his off wing.

Like i said besides the one listed mock he has always been known as a RW. His dad was a RW.

I know he played LW on KalPa with his dad...

I know he played LW on KalPa with his dad...

Like i said he can play anywhere but is best suited on the RW because he is a righthanded shot. Think about it a minute he is screaming down the the ice if he is receiving as pass headed for the net he would receive it on his forehand on the RW.

If he was on the LW he would receive said pass on his back hand unless he opens up his hips and manipulates his body.

I prefer to receive it on my forehand not backhand easier to control and less chance it bounces. Also he could one time it on the RW. On the LW he'd have to stop it first.

Check out the video.

Vid shows he is lined up on the RW. It makes sense.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Yeah you can list him where ever you want but he played RW is a right handed shot.

people do play the off wing you know... for example, I am a right handed shot and played center and left wing through college and started playing at 6.  If you look out there he is listed as both but if you want to be a dick... be a dick.

Edited by murraycraven

people do play the off wing you know... for example, I am a right handed shot and played center and left wing through college and started playing at 6.  If you look out there he is listed as both but if you want to be a dick... be a dick.

Yes i know, his dad was a left handed shot who played RW but he played RW for Finland and Kalpa.