Habs resign Markov 3 years @5.75per

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/canadiens-sign-defenceman-andrei-markov-to-three-year-1725-million-deal/article19296122/

Man oh man. Niskanen better send Markov a big sloppy kiss because Niskanen is going to get PAID even more for sure now being the only big one left.

Other than 38 year old Boyle, Niskanen is the ONLY big name left and every team needs a defenseman like this at the moment.

The list of available defensemen has been shrinking meteorically and Niskanen is younger than most of them by a country mile.

@J0e Th0rnton  *If* Markov can stay healthy, this is a real nice signing by the Habs. I was thinking he would be asking for a 5 or 6 year deal on the open market, and at his age and injury history, that would have been a real risky signing. As it sits now, 3 years is perfect. The Habs will have one of the very best back ends on the top pp unit....this signing assures that. I've always been a big fan of the guy, think his offense and overall value to the Havs have always been underrated.

Assuming he stays healthy, locking him up for just under 6 mill is a real bargain. Habs will be dangerous when the young forwards start to fill the net. The offense will come, and Markov and Subban are gonna rip this league apart.

One thing, assuming Subban (soon to be RFA P.K if the Habs don't move quick) makes about 7.5 - 8 mill that is that is just under 14 mill of their cap tied up in 2 d-men...the cost of doing business I guess. Just a passing thought, is the precursor for the Habs to let P.K sign with another team and reap in the 3 first round picks. If you don't think he is worth a max contract for max length (probably what he is asking for, or at least close to his asking price) you save the money and gobble up the extra draft picks, which is a nice consolation prize.

Personally, I think P.K is a MONEY game changer. His shot is virtually unstoppable when he gets the location right. What an absolute CANNON this guy has on the one timer.....if it's in his wheel house it is a actual blur of a shot....would hate to be the Hab who has to stand in front of the net while those bombs reign in. Subban also gets a bad rap on defense. He really, really cares about his defensive responsibilities and competes at a VERY high energy level in his own end. You can tell he is starting to really like being mean, a great sign for Habs fans.

@J0e Th0rnton  *If* Markov can stay healthy, this is a real nice signing by the Habs. I was thinking he would be asking for a 5 or 6 year deal on the open market, and at his age and injury history, that would have been a real risky signing. As it sits now, 3 years is perfect. The Habs will have one of the very best back ends on the top pp unit....this signing assures that. I've always been a big fan of the guy, think his offense and overall value to the Havs have always been underrated.

Assuming he stays healthy, locking him up for just under 6 mill is a real bargain. Habs will be dangerous when the young forwards start to fill the net. The offense will come, and Markov and Subban are gonna rip this league apart.

One thing, assuming Subban (soon to be RFA P.K if the Habs don't move quick) makes about 7.5 - 8 mill that is that is just under 14 mill of their cap tied up in 2 d-men...the cost of doing business I guess. Just a passing thought, is the precursor for the Habs to let P.K sign with another team and reap in the 3 first round picks. If you don't think he is worth a max contract for max length (probably what he is asking for, or at least close to his asking price) you save the money and gobble up the extra draft picks, which is a nice consolation prize.

Personally, I think P.K is a MONEY game changer. His shot is virtually unstoppable when he gets the location right. What an absolute CANNON this guy has on the one timer.....if it's in his wheel house it is a actual blur of a shot....would hate to be the Hab who has to stand in front of the net while those bombs reign in. Subban also gets a bad rap on defense. He really, really cares about his defensive responsibilities and competes at a VERY high energy level in his own end. You can tell he is starting to really like being mean, a great sign for Habs fans.

Only thing I am worried about is his footspeed.

He has drastically gotten slower this past year. Like Dan Boyle, age is showing, and Markov's previous injuries likely do not help either.

To the bolded,.....ROFL. if a team like Edmonton, Florida or Buffalo  signed him to an offer sheet, i'd seriously consider taking the draft picks. Those teams are guaranteed to give you high draft picks. It sounds crazy to let a guy like Subban go, but I am not as high on him as some. He is no Weber or Keith or Suter. Yes he won a Norris and yes he is better than any Sharks defenseman, but I do not think as highly of him as I do some other Dmen in the league and would not want 10 million locked up on to 1 player. 4 first round picks???? From horrible teams like those who have failed in rebuild year after year? You would be almost guaranteed a top 1-5 pick every season for the next 4 seasons to go along with the first round picks you already have. 2 first round picks a year while still a good team?

Imagine Subban signed by the Oilers and they still finish near the very bottom(A likely possibility), and then they win the damn lottery. Hello, Montreal drafts Connor McDavid (Ranked higher than Crosby was)with Edmonton's first round pick. Edmonton is one of the few Franchises where you can fail upward.

Kevin Lowe after years of crap was promoted to President, and MacT, who he fired for failing for years as Coach, is now promoted to GM.

Well crap there goes another one. The Wings better make a deal with the Isles for the rights to Boyle and just sign him now. Niskanen is going to be one popular dude here in a week.

Well crap there goes another one. The Wings better make a deal with the Isles for the rights to Boyle and just sign him now. Niskanen is going to be one popular dude here in a week.

Yup. He is the only name left. If we thought he was going to get overpaid before, we can almost certainly assume it will be worse now.