was umberger gonna be bought out?

caluso

Umberger sat down the stretch due to his lack of speed and overall erosion of his game. The Flyers did not so much trade for him as much as they found someone willing to take Hartnell's albatross of a contract off their hands.

Umberger went to Ohio State, he seemed a perfect fit to remain a Jacket for life, except he did not fit with the Todd Richards style of run and gun hockey. Everything I read had him demanding a trade, and the Jackets being more than willing to accommodate him if they could find a partner and intending upon buying him out if not.

• Like 1

This is a huge lift off #CBJ GM Kekalainen. Club was contemplating a compliance buyout on Umberger if they couldn't move him before draft.

It sure sounded as he was and was well known around the league. 

The Flyers did not so much trade for him as much as they found someone willing to take Hartnell's albatross of a contract off their hands.

The thing is that Hartnells contract is only really an albatross (and purely prospective) in the last two years. Nobody knows what the future brings. Maybe hartnell would retire, maybe another team would want him even in a deteriorated skill set fashion for leadership (his salary would be 1M less). 

I just think the trade is a joke in thinking about it. Surely we could could have gotten a prospects or just a couple of picks. 

If the Flyers tried to acquire Hartnell from another team, which prospects and picks would you be willing to give up?

Well if folks think we could get a 2nd for VLC (and some more than that), than certainly we could get a 2nd for Hartnell. 

Well if folks think we could get a 2nd for VLC (and some more than that), than certainly we could get a 2nd for Hartnell. 

That's not what I asked you.

You're the Flyers GM for the day in an alternate universe. For the past 7 years, Hartnell has been toiling on the Jackets with the same stats he's put up here. He's 32, and signed for 5 more years at $4.75M. He wants to come here, and is willing to waive his NTC to do it.

What are you willing to give up to get him? Would you give up a 2nd rounder?

I think Hartnell would have a lot of value if his contract was only a couple of years long. Someone looking for grit and goals would love to get him. But with 5 years left I honestly never thought he would be moved. At least Hextall doesn't just seem to be living in the present moment and reacting to what others do. 

I would have been thrilled with 2 number 2s.

What does umberger bring that raffl, read, heck, even Bellemare, doesnt.

Wouldn't it have been better to rid the Hartnell contract entirely...

Umby's a decent defensive forward. He'll fit in well on Coots' line with Read.

He won't light the world on fire, but he'll make room for Raffy or someone else (Schenn maybe?) to take up residency on Line 1 with Jake and G.

Slow is a problem. Would I rather have gotten picks? Maybe. Maybe...

maybe someone In The western conference will have an injury and need a LW at deadline time. You never know!

What does umberger bring that raffl, read, heck, even Bellemare, doesnt.

Wouldn't it have been better to rid the Hartnell contract entirely...

What are you willing to give up to get him? Would you give up a 2nd rounder?

If I am homer, sure. Joking aside, it depends on the make-up of my team and what my team needs. If my team has the current make-up of Columbus, you bet I do that. I bite the bullet on the last 2 years on the gamble that the player can bring me the .5ppg production he has done the past several seasons, along with the leadership, sand and grit "power forward" game style that my team needs. My team is already fully stocked with young talent, so losing a 2nd round pick is not hard- not to mention that there are not any guarantees that the 2nd rounder would turn out to be anything. 

2 number 2's is a stretch. A single 2nd round pick would have been fine. It also would have freed up 4.5m to do other kinds of trades UFA signings this summer.