Top line winger

brelic

So, what's your first thought when you see Hexy say this:

Sam Carchidi @BroadStBull

Hexy says there are 4 candidates as top LW: B.Schenn, Raffl, Umberger and Vinny.

Mine is that those aren't really the candidates for top line winger. Schenn is the only real possibility. The rest is smokescreen.

And why isn't Simmonds mentioned? Wouldn't he be the top choice, even before trying out Schenn? 

And why isn't Simmonds mentioned? Wouldn't he be the top choice, even before trying out Schenn? 

Only thing I can think is that Simmonds has always been on the right wing.

Quite frankly, if those are the "choices" for tope line LW, the Flyers better hope like hell Schenn pans out.

I mean, what? No Akeson? :ph34r:

Only thing I can think is that Simmonds has always been on the right wing.

Quite frankly, if those are the "choices" for tope line LW, the Flyers better hope like hell Schenn pans out.

I mean, what? No Akeson? :ph34r:

Right, forgot about Jake/Simmer playing on the same side. Jake is a left shot, so there's that.. but wouldn't want to mess with the G/Jake chemistry.

As for Akeson, I see the ninja, but in all reality, he should absolutely get a 'shot' in the preseason and maybe a few games, just for a look. He seems to have good offensive instincts.

Mine is that those aren't really the candidates for top line winger. Schenn is the only real possibility. The rest is smokescreen.

I wouldn't rule out Raffl on the top line. He seems to everything except the finishing skills, and given that last year was his first year on North American ice he could still improve in that department. He's a better skater and forechecker than Schenn, and I think he has a higher hockey IQ.

• Like 1

As for Akeson, I see the ninja, but in all reality, he should absolutely get a 'shot' in the preseason and maybe a few games, just for a look. He seems to have good offensive instincts.

OK, I can certainly see "giving it a shot"

But that means the Flyers' choices, according to Hextall and adding Akeson, are:

1) Schenn: Their second line center of the future who many say "disappears" on the wing

2) VLC: A frequently-injured veteran center who states flatly that he doesn't want to play wing

3) Umberger: A guy who had trouble getting onto the ice in Columbus last season and couldn't crack their Top Six

4) Raffl: A second-year player who is a 20/50 player in the HockeyAllsvenskan

5) Akeson: A guy who is a 20/50 player - in the AHL.

If I was to rank them in order of my preference?

Umberger - because he's at least shown a proficiency at left wing in an offensive capacity

Raffl - because may as well take a shot, but I honestly don't expect much

Schenn - Because they have to use him somewhere

Akeson - Because by now we're clutching at straws anyway

VLC - Because I would prefer he be playing somewhere else - like another city.

I don't expect any of them to be astonishing. But should replace the 20/50 the Hartnell brought on the scoresheet.

OK, I can certainly see "giving it a shot"

But that means the Flyers' choices, according to Hextall and adding Akeson, are:

1) Schenn: Their second line center of the future who many say "disappears" on the wing

2) VLC: A frequently-injured veteran center who states flatly that he doesn't want to play wing

3) Umberger: A guy who had trouble getting onto the ice in Columbus last season and couldn't crack their Top Six

4) Raffl: A second-year player who is a 20/50 player in the HockeyAllsvenskan

5) Akeson: A guy who is a 20/50 player - in the AHL.

Umberger - because he's at least shown a proficiency at left wing in an offensive capacity

Raffl - because may as well take a shot, but I honestly don't expect much

Schenn - Because they have to use him somewhere

Akeson - Because by now we're clutching at straws anyway

VLC - Because I would prefer he be playing somewhere else - like another city.

I don't expect any of them to be astonishing. But should replace the 20/50 the Hartnell brought on the scoresheet.

I agree with everything you said... which is why I think the Hexy quote is smokescreen.

He is maintaining his poker face. 

OR... 

He's telling the truth and it's the sign of a 'new philosophy.' In other words, there will be growing pains. Deal with it.

I agree with everything you said... which is why I think the Hexy quote is smokescreen.

He is maintaining his poker face. 

OR... 

He's telling the truth and it's the sign of a 'new philosophy.' In other words, there will be growing pains. Deal with it.

I like both of those possibilities. 

That said, it is one of those "simple answers to simple questions" reactions from Hexy - on the roster right now, those are the players who would be in position to be the #1 LW.

In June.

Who knows what this will look like in August?

That said, it is one of those "simple answers to simple questions" reactions from Hexy - on the roster right now, those are the players who would be in position to be the #1 LW.

That would be the first option - poker face.

It's like his quote on VLC: "I anticipate that VInny will be with the Flyers next year." It's the default position. Until it isn't.

That would be the first option - poker face.

It's like his quote on VLC: "I anticipate that VInny will be with the Flyers next year." It's the default position. Until it isn't.

The Robert E. Clarke School of Communication™

My thought is he isn't dumb and isn't revealing his plans saying just what he needs to say until he is done with his plans....smart poker play i think...unlike Homer.

You forgot Bellemare he has a shot i think he played on the top line on his SHL team and had an outstanding year this past season has a nice quick release and skates very good. He is 29 not 20 or 21.

So at least i'd pencil him in as a wild card. He will more than likely make the big club just for his versatility alone plays LW and Center.

Yes i know he'll have to prove it which i believe he will in camp and preseason.

Either way i think they will make another move for a better option at LW than all that have been listed. I'm not going to give Bellemare a spot he'll have to earn it like everyone else, i think he will just not sure on which line to pencil him in on yet. Wouldn't be shocked to see him start at LW with Coots and Read.

He just listed who was currently on the team.  Nothing more than that.

He's not going to lay his cards down before the river has been turned.

Long summer ahead and it's full well known the Flyers need a quality LWer for the top line to make Giroux and Jake the most effiective.

Pretty sure Hexy knows this also if we all do.

• Like 1